Endura / Pacific Salt greatness - who knew?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Endura / Pacific Salt greatness - who knew?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hard to believe when I’ve already fallen so far down the Spydiehole, but my first of these arrived today - a brand spanking new SE Pacific Salt.

My first impressions are - WOW! - why did it take me so long? It has a great handle shape and size for my large hands, purposeful blade size, not overly large in pocket ... and very affordable. I’m looking forward to using it!
500Nitro

Re: Endura / Pacific Salt greatness - who knew?

Post by 500Nitro »

Good to hear because SE Pacific Salt is next on my list very soon.

Brought to my attention by forum members when asking about my Endura.

Did you get Black or Yellow ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Plain black/silver blade. Boy, are those serrations sharp!
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Favorite handles on any folder I've handled.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Interesting. I've been meaning to start a thread asking people to help me understand what's so great about this handle, and maybe how exactly people are gripping it?

With my Spyderhawk if I grip way back so that my index finger is at the front edge of the first hump on the grip, then everything almost lines up ok, but it puts my hand all the way down at the butt of the grip. If I try to choke up on it with my fingers at the front edge of the handle, none of the grooves line up with any of my fingers and it's an ergonomic nightmare.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:46 am
Interesting. I've been meaning to start a thread asking people to help me understand what's so great about this handle, and maybe how exactly people are gripping it?

With my Spyderhawk if I grip way back so that my index finger is at the front edge of the first hump on the grip, then everything almost lines up ok, but it puts my hand all the way down at the butt of the grip. If I try to choke up on it with my fingers at the front edge of the handle, none of the grooves line up with any of my fingers and it's an ergonomic nightmare.
It's probably just a hand size thing. I have small to medium size hands and all four of my fingers can sit comfortably in the two grooves, the flat butt end unoccupied. I can also choke back with only my index finger in the first groove and its comfortable.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Definitely one of my favorites!
Have been hoping there might be a sprint sometime of a Pacific non-Salt with a FFG PE VG10 blade or something like that?
A FFG Pacific Salt in LC200N may well be good enough so really looking forward to see that, should be a great Spydie!
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Best user knife I own is the SE Pacific Salt. Pac Salt and a delica - to be honest those are the only folders I actually need. Add in a fixed blade mule, and I should be done... But, that would not be any fun :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

as said, one of the best handles and user knives overall,
much preferred to the newer style

Chef_Pappa

Post by Chef_Pappa »

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to join in on the conversation. I also recently picked up a Pacific Salt SE (first full serrated edge pocket knife) and yeah, wow. I'm in the middle of a six day catering event and have been exclusively carrying it. It is the best knife to have in your pocket in the kitchen!
I also way prefer the handle on it to my zdp Endura 4. My hand feels lost on the endura but not on the Pacific Salt. For me it seams to be the extra tallness on the butt of the handle. It feels more natural and comfortable. Absolutely loving this knife. Cant wait to wait to take it to the coast next weekend and watch it thrive in its natural environment.

Thank you to everyone for all the interesting conversation and great information.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Chef_Pappa wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:12 pm
Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to join in on the conversation. I also recently picked up a Pacific Salt SE (first full serrated edge pocket knife) and yeah, wow. I'm in the middle of a six day catering event and have been exclusively carrying it. It is the best knife to have in your pocket in the kitchen!
I also way prefer the handle on it to my zdp Endura 4. My hand feels lost on the endura but not on the Pacific Salt. For me it seams to be the extra tallness on the butt of the handle. It feels more natural and comfortable. Absolutely loving this knife. Cant wait to wait to take it to the coast next weekend and watch it thrive in its natural environment.

Thank you to everyone for all the interesting conversation and great information.
welcome!

And glad you're enjoying the Pacific, it's definitely the knife that got me hooked on the Spyder addiction! :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:

I've only ever held the Endura 3 style handle one way, and it's always felt great. What do you need to choke up for compared to how I'm holding it? If you insist on doing that I'd recommend carving out an index choil. There's enough space for one, just take your time and go slow. Feels a lot like a Cara Cara held in the index choil.

I love the grip on this knife. For my hand it's very ergonomic, and I specifically like how much space there is for my thumb. If I tried to choke up and put two fingers in the first groove and put my thumb on the thumb ramp, it'd ruin the ergos for me. There wouldn't be enough space for my thumb to use the ramp comfortably.
:unicorn
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Vivi wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:24 am
Evil D wrote:

I've only ever held the Endura 3 style handle one way, and it's always felt great. What do you need to choke up for compared to how I'm holding it? If you insist on doing that I'd recommend carving out an index choil. There's enough space for one, just take your time and go slow. Feels a lot like a Cara Cara held in the index choil.

I love the grip on this knife. For my hand it's very ergonomic, and I specifically like how much space there is for my thumb. If I tried to choke up and put two fingers in the first groove and put my thumb on the thumb ramp, it'd ruin the ergos for me. There wouldn't be enough space for my thumb to use the ramp comfortably.
That’s how it fits me. Until D’s post, I hadn’t even looked - it just felt spot-on! The grip allows your fingers to squish and comfortably spread when gripping tight.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Soon as I heard the pacific salt was becoming a pc2 I stocked up on them. Have had a pair of pacific salts on my boat for 4-5 years.

I'm a GB1 fanboy on land a PSalt fanboy on the water.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

wow Vivi your hands are huge.
I know you always say it but man I realise it now :D
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:41 am
wow Vivi your hands are huge.
I know you always say it but man I realise it now :D

It looks like a Delica in his hand. :)

I would like to try out the Pacific Salt sometime, just to give a full SE a fair trial as an EDC. I've never been a big fan of serrations, but I've never had a full-sized SE knife either.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hahah, it makes finding the right ergonomics for me challenging at times.

Meat Man, I wasn't a fan of serrations either. I traded for this salt on a whim, expecting to pass it on for a PE Salt. Ended up becoming my favorite EDC. Properly sharpened, SE doesn't have nearly as many drawbacks compared to being a little dull. There's only one or two tasks I'm not comfortable using it for, like peeling an apple. Most things I cut, it performs a bit better than PE.

I don't feel terribly strong towards one edge type or the other these days outside of the kitchen. I gravitate towards PE mainly because I find them more fun to sharpen, but that SE Salt sees more pocket time than all my other Spyderco folders combined.
:unicorn