Canadian UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Canadian UKPK

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m sure you’re all tired of hearing me moan about the state of knife imports into my country so I’ll try to keep this short.

It’s looking more and more like it really is game over for the importation of folding locking knives into Canada. Multiple shipments are being stopped almost daily apparently. This has caused me to start looking around for non locking knives that interest me. I’ve spent a few days searching and so far I’ve come up with very little. I don’t want a traditional slipjoint. I can’t find any custom makers doing what I’m after.

Spyderco has a lot of slipit options but they’re all too darn affordable and I want something more substantial than FRN. I want to spend a decent amount of money on a nice Spyderco slipit. We don’t have any blade length limits here (yet) so it doesn’t even have to be 3 inches or shorter. It could be the length of a Caly 3.5 but I recognize that would be a brand new model. So I’ll stick to the UKPK.

So here’s the ask. Any chance Spyderco could produce a G10 UKPK with some varied colour options once again? Black, orange, blue, red and maybe even green? I’d collect them all and have options for rotation. If that’s too hefty a request, how about just one color? Man, I’d even settle for a sprint, it doesn’t have to be standard production. I know the UK guys and plenty of other countries would be interested.

And before anyone goes and mentions alternatives like the Urban or Pingo or Squeak, I’d ask you to maybe do another thread. I’m after a made in Golden G10 UKPK specifically. This gives me (hopefully) S30V and opens the door (possibly) to other great steels like S110V, M4, S90V etc. I know that’s pushing it too. I’ve spoken with Sal and Eric (multiple times) about more UKPK’s before. They aren’t huge money makers for them so I get why the answer is likely no. But with this new stupid ban us Canucks are gonna start getting desperate for a higher end Spyderco we can actually order to our door.

Photo to remind you guys how awesome this design really is. Sorry, that wasn’t short or quick. Thanks for reading.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Re: Canadian UKPK

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd be interested in that.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Absolutely they should make a CanuckPK with maple syrup colored G10. It would sell like hotcakes ;)
All kidding aside, a G10 UKPK needs to happen again. Such a great design screams for sprints. If they are worried about 1200 pc run not selling make it 600 pcs.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like the G10/S30V UKPK I have and I'd definitely be in for something in a tool steel. Maybe M4 or Cruwear? I haven't tried Maxamet yet either. I'd also love to see M390, 204P, or 20CV.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
stompin_boots

Post by stompin_boots »

instead of putting the effort into convincing spyderco to create a new knife that will fit these bs new policies cbsa has, put it into making your opinion heard to the government. call your mla, start a knife law advocacy group, do something productive if you want to still be able to import knives that are legal to own! the effort is better spent in other directions is all im saying, as a fellow canadian we need to stand up and make sure our rights aren't taken away from underneath us! i am not sure if spyderco has come out in support of the issue but i hope they are.
:spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

stompin_boots wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 pm
instead of putting the effort into convincing spyderco to create a new knife that will fit these bs new policies cbsa has, put it into making your opinion heard to the government. call your mla, start a knife law advocacy group, do something productive if you want to still be able to import knives that are legal to own! the effort is better spent in other directions is all im saying, as a fellow canadian we need to stand up and make sure our rights aren't taken away from underneath us! i am not sure if spyderco has come out in support of the issue but i hope they are.

I can do both. I am doing both.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
skeletor

Post by skeletor »

It seems like non-locking knives getting more and more important, not only in Europe, but also across other countries worldwide...
Despite that being a sad development I am happy as it could bring as more interesting knife patterns like new versions of the UKPK or the PITS as the market for those knives is getting bigger... :)
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:25 pm
Spyderco has a lot of slipit options but they’re all too darn affordable and I want something more substantial than FRN. I want to spend a decent amount of money on a nice Spyderco slipit.

I doubt a whole lot of people share those sentiments.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

In the meanwhile, why not pick up a Spits?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Are they not one hand opening?
- best wishes, Jazz.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Maybe time for a road trip?

I live in Michigan and that’s not to far from the Great White North.

That said I would love more UKPK’s in different steels and something other then FRN.

Carry my 110v UKPK a lot even though I don’t need to because of laws.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

*cough* Pits *cough*

Seriously, the Pits is a high quality, full-sized knife with a comfortable 4 finger grip that happens to be a slipjoint.

I really enjoy the S110V UKPK too, and would most certainly buy a G10 UKPK.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
sal

Post by sal »

The PITS is a great design.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 am
In the meanwhile, why not pick up a Spits?
I have one! I like it a lot but not as much as my UKPK’s.

Jazz wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:04 am
Are they not one hand opening?
Sure they are, but these new rules are about one handed locking knives. The UKPK doesn’t lock. So it doesn’t matter how many hands you use.

@liquid_cobra
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

stompin_boots wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 pm
You've been here a week. What do you know of LC?

But toward the end of which you speak, https://www.gofundme.com/canadian-knife-rights-law-suit
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 pm
Absolutely they should make a CanuckPK with maple syrup colored G10. It would sell like hotcakes ;)
Actually, I bet that doing a Canadian edition (maple leaf pattern or something?) would sell really well right now. Especially if it was a charity/benefit for someone in Canada trying to get the import rules re-visited.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Seems more like a flickable knife law. Whatever, I guess.
- best wishes, Jazz.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i live in austria where we still are allowed to carry one hand opened knives which are locking but i live close to the border of germany and fully understand the urge to spend more money on a higher end slipit
- i bought the k390 urban sprint as an edc when visiting family in germany and i’ve to say i wasn’t quite satisfied - as to say the urban wasn’t cutting it for me - so ordered a PITS and i am much happier with this beautiful knife!
if only it had a tad fancier steel than n690co it would be perfection!

so i’m totally in your boat for higher end non locking/non flickable folders!
Last edited by polyhexamethyl on Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
sal

Post by sal »

The fear of flickable knives in Canada, as I understand, is based on someone's ability to conceal a knife in a closed hand, get close to a Police Officer (or other innocent) and instantly produce a deadly force that was not visible and cause harm or kill someone.

sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Time for a terzoula slip it sprint?!?
I could be down for that.