Martian colonist knife - Your take on its design, Spyderco or not

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
StuntZombie

Re: Martian colonist knife - Your take on its design, Spyderco or not

Post by StuntZombie »

Anyhow..

I kinda think a small fixed blade would do the trick, preferably one with a longer handle and a shorter blade. Something along the lines of the Enuff might work.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Awesome, just saw where this thread went...

And he was in space at the time! See there’s your proof.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Ideological fanatics don’t joke around. Their opinions are too sacred for that. The do not respond to reasoned arguments. They don’t “believe” in reason but only what their dogma tells them. The thrive on controversy and abuse because theirs is primarily a victim narrative: you are a victim of your (insert ideology here) or they are victimized by those who fail to adopt their dogma.

Really, it is a no-win scenario. The only sure way to avoid such harassment is to ignore it. Without responses, it will go away.

Use your ignore feature like I did. When someone quotes him, the quoted parts of his post will show up so if no one quotes or responds to him he will surely be a voice crying in the wilderness.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

StuntZombie wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:26 pm
Anyhow..

I kinda think a small fixed blade would do the trick, preferably one with a longer handle and a shorter blade. Something along the lines of the Enuff might work.
I like how you think, if we keep in mind the tasks it will be used for, there's no need for a blade longer than 3-4 inches tops. I'm not a fan of sheepfood blades due to obvious drawbacks and lack of multifunctionality due to no belly, but again not much slicing being done over there so it might be just right.

Also I was thinking, like another user mentioned, it could also be a multitool. Like some variation of a Letherman, but more rugged since it has a lot of joints, and tbh I have read no data at the primary composition of Martian dust and how abrasive it is. I do know it's not all silica like it is on the Moon, which is incredibly hard, sharp and abrasive.

I remember awhile back reading about the Omega watches used by the Apollo crews. Even though they wore them on the wrist of their suit for a few hours and never touched the ground, the mirror polished back lid turned satin from all the scratches, and their suit fibers got worn and "hairs" were visibly poking out of it.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I find many of the anti religion folks just as fanatical and certainly as smug and arrogant with more of a tendency to ridicule those they feel superior to. I prefer not to hear it from either side when I can avoid it.

I honestly am not directing that at anyone here though. There is certainly nothing wrong with telling people to "knock it off" when needed.

Joe
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:00 pm
The do not respond to reasoned arguments.
I see no reasoned arguments worthy of response.
I forgot Michael is the expert & last say here. He just wants to argue his point.
I was just going to let it lay because the point was made.
So if I don't respond, I have a problem.
If I do respond, I still have a problem.
You guys responding to me seem to have problems with leaving things alone & not escalating.
You know nothing of other correspondence I have here by P.M. & yet make what you think is a complete analysis.
I am in wonder at you.
What do you know ?
Jude 17-21, for those so inclined.
The rest, feel free to leave it alone, as what harm does it do to you ?
O.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

emanuel wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Anyhow..

I like how you think, if we keep in mind the tasks it will be used for, there's no need for a blade longer than 3-4 inches tops. I'm not a fan of sheepfood blades due to obvious drawbacks and lack of multifunctionality due to no belly, but again not much slicing being done over there so it might be just right.

Also I was thinking, like another user mentioned, it could also be a multitool. Like some variation of a Letherman, but more rugged since it has a lot of joints, and tbh I have read no data at the primary composition of Martian dust and how abrasive it is. I do know it's not all silica like it is on the Moon, which is incredibly hard, sharp and abrasive.

I remember awhile back reading about the Omega watches used by the Apollo crews. Even though they wore them on the wrist of their suit for a few hours and never touched the ground, the mirror polished back lid turned satin from all the scratches, and their suit fibers got worn and "hairs" were visibly poking out of it.
Yeah, space is definitely a pretty harsh environment. I'm thinking the fewer moving parts there are, the better.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I just can’t turn down the opportunity to post a tasty gif.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 am
I find many of the anti religion folks just as fanatical and certainly as smug and arrogant with more of a tendency to ridicule those they feel superior to. I prefer not to hear it from either side when I can avoid it.

I honestly am not directing that at anyone here though. There is certainly nothing wrong with telling people to "knock it off" when needed.

Joe

I completely agree, and when I see a member who seems to only come to this forum to bash peoples' religious choices, I'll speak up there too. Like you said, I'd rather not hear either side, this isn't the place for it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ok, let's get back to the topic.

As SEF points out, that dust is extremely fine, and that was the reason I originally said a fixed blade would be best, of a good useable length and a tough rust proof steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

StuntZombie wrote:
Anyhow..

Enuff Salt!

Small fixed blade.
No pointy tip to puncture things accidentally.
Serrated sheepsfoot blade for increased cutting performance and longevity.
100% corrosion immunity.
Last edited by The Meat man on Wed May 16, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The talcum powder-ish dust is a good point. That stuff is sure to get into everything. I wonder though, since it's so fine could it possibly act as a lubricant in a knife pivot? I've tried graphite dust and it's pretty smooth stuff. I would imagine talcum powder would smooth out a pivot nicely unless water was mixed with it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:29 am
The talcum powder-ish dust is a good point. That stuff is sure to get into everything. I wonder though, since it's so fine could it possibly act as a lubricant in a knife pivot? I've tried graphite dust and it's pretty smooth stuff. I would imagine talcum powder would smooth out a pivot nicely unless water was mixed with it.
The reason why graphite is such a good lubricant is because of it's weak covalent bonds, allowing sheets of carbon to slide over each other, the same mechanism of most oils. Silicon doesn't do that, so it will rub and abrade the metal surface it comes in contact with, no matter how fine it is. You definitely don't want that stuff on any bearing lol.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Anyhow..

Enuff Salt!

Small fixed blade.
100% corrosion immunity.
Really? I remember reading in a comic book in the late 70’s that the indigenous Martians have highly acidic bodily fluids (2000 AD - iirc it came with stickers that made my arms look like those of a partly unpeeled cyborg). I’m not sure how frn or the H1 would cope....
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Enuff Salt would be a good choice, too. But, if I were packing I would opt for the Aqua Salt serrated.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Anyhow..

Enuff Salt!

Small fixed blade.
100% corrosion immunity.
Really? I remember reading in a comic book in the late 70’s that the indigenous Martians have highly acidic bodily fluids (2000 AD - iirc it came with stickers that made my arms look like those of a partly unpeeled cyborg). I’m not sure how frn or the H1 would cope....

Adamantium is what we really need. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc, Meat Man and others: Something else that is somewhat optimistic for us knife enthusiasts is this: Outer Space is actually very friendly for knife lovers. Think about this.

Space is full of asteroids that are rich in metals and other materials perfect for knives. Carbonaceous and Iron-Nickel-Cobalt asteroids abound in the Solar System and beyond. Basically, we have a nearly endless supply of knife making supplies there. Space is an ultra high vacuum so there we have our vacuum melting enviroment, and, it is also ultra cold and so there we have our cryogenic treatments.

Furthermore, we have an unlimited amount of energy from the sun and stars and other sources. Once we learn to harness black holes and pulsars and super nova, we have endless supplies of energy to drive our knife production facilities there.

Once we get advanced nanotechnology based three dimensional replicative printers, we can have knives of Spyderco and Benchmade level quality at prices like ten to fifteen cents per knife, or less. Think about that. Imagine a Tatanka that has the same quality level or greater than present, but, costs you only ten cents or less.

Self Replicating Robots would do all of the labor and the humans would do the intellectual design.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:24 pm
Self Replicating Robots would do all of the labor and the humans would do the intellectual design.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

O,just,O wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:30 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:00 pm
The do not respond to reasoned arguments.
I see no reasoned arguments worthy of response.
I forgot Michael is the expert & last say here. He just wants to argue his point.
I was just going to let it lay because the point was made.
So if I don't respond, I have a problem.
If I do respond, I still have a problem.
You guys responding to me seem to have problems with leaving things alone & not escalating.
You know nothing of other correspondence I have here by P.M. & yet make what you think is a complete analysis.
I am in wonder at you.
What do you know ?
Jude 17-21, for those so inclined.
The rest, feel free to leave it alone, as what harm does it do to you ?
O.
Proverbs 15.1 is wells suited, here.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:24 pm
Doc, Meat Man and others: Something else that is somewhat optimistic for us knife enthusiasts is this: Outer Space is actually very friendly for knife lovers. Think about this.

Space is full of asteroids that are rich in metals and other materials perfect for knives. Carbonaceous and Iron-Nickel-Cobalt asteroids abound in the Solar System and beyond. Basically, we have a nearly endless supply of knife making supplies there. Space is an ultra high vacuum so there we have our vacuum melting enviroment, and, it is also ultra cold and so there we have our cryogenic treatments.

Furthermore, we have an unlimited amount of energy from the sun and stars and other sources. Once we learn to harness black holes and pulsars and super nova, we have endless supplies of energy to drive our knife production facilities there.

Once we get advanced nanotechnology based three dimensional replicative printers, we can have knives of Spyderco and Benchmade level quality at prices like ten to fifteen cents per knife, or less. Think about that. Imagine a Tatanka that has the same quality level or greater than present, but, costs you only ten cents or less.

A Dyson Sphere would give us the nearly unlimited power output. So would nuclear fusion (more realistic but we haven't figured it out quite yet).

But I am all for mining out in space (have you seen The Expanse?) I do not know if we will find any new materials in our solar system, or not. But we could, if we could ever find a way to traverse the immense distances in the Galaxy. Perhaps through holes in time/space?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050