Anybody here make their own bread?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Anybody here make their own bread?

Post by Doc Dan »

Yesterday, I made a pot of homemade spaghetti sauce and cooked the pasta. Then, I made a fresh loaf of garlic bread from scratch. This was all to take to a friend's home for dinner. The bread did not survive. It was so well received that the entire 1 kg loaf was consumed except for a couple of pieces I saw being spirited away for later consumption.

I use a Breville (AUS brand) bread maker. I make all sorts of bread types with it. I make blueberry/cinnamon, walnut, sunflower seed, mixed nuts and seeds, whole wheat, buckwheat, plain white bread, garlic bread, and more. This thing is so easy to use. All I have to do is dump in the ingredients and turn it on. It mixes, lets the dough rise, then bakes the loaf. I can even mix the dough for buttermilk biscuits, though I have put the biscuits in the oven after it is mixed and kneaded. Clean up is easy as it is non-stick.

Are there any others, here, that bake their own bread?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Re: Anybody here make their own bread?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yes! Mainly pizza dough for the bbq grill nowadays, focaccia and flat breads & Indian naan. Our bread maker is really only used as a dough maker now but is very good at it and mess free.

Have you made your own egg pasta? Home made pasta is truly exceptional and stupidly easy.

I’ve got some pizza dough proving again right now for tonight’s supper, as it happens. I’ve run it through the dough programme 3 times today so it should be really good.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I do but not often enough. Do it all by hand though. Sounds like I should look into your bread maker.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:47 am
Yesterday, I made a pot of homemade spaghetti sauce and cooked the pasta. Then, I made a fresh loaf of garlic bread from scratch. This was all to take to a friend's home for dinner. The bread did not survive. It was so well received that the entire 1 kg loaf was consumed except for a couple of pieces I saw being spirited away for later consumption.

I use a Breville (AUS brand) bread maker. I make all sorts of bread types with it. I make blueberry/cinnamon, walnut, sunflower seed, mixed nuts and seeds, whole wheat, buckwheat, plain white bread, garlic bread, and more. This thing is so easy to use. All I have to do is dump in the ingredients and turn it on. It mixes, lets the dough rise, then bakes the loaf. I can even mix the dough for buttermilk biscuits, though I have put the biscuits in the oven after it is mixed and kneaded. Clean up is easy as it is non-stick.

Are there any others, here, that bake their own bread?

Doc Dan, do you run a delivery service? You're making me hungry! :)

I don't make bread but my wife does. We almost never get store bought bread.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do. I use the bread maker to make the dough but bake it in the oven. I think it comes out better.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I do. Sourdough. Kept a starter for about 6 years now.

Feed the starter every 2-3 days. Mixing and kneading takes all of 10 minutes (just add salt and flour). Two hours to rise and bake for one hour in a cast iron Dutch oven. Easy peasy. Always comes out great.

Recently been making smaller “individual” size we use for our version of egg McMuffins. Really good.

Ken
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 am
I do but not often enough. Do it all by hand though. Sounds like I should look into your bread maker.
A bread maker (a good one) is a God send. I have made bread in the past without one and it is a pain. With the bread maker it is not messy, very little clean up, and the bread comes out perfect every time.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

One thing you cannot do is leave bread in a bread maker or it will gain moisture. When you take out the bread you have to put it on a cooling rack so air gets to the bottom of the loaf and all around.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:37 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
A bread maker (a good one) is a God send. I have made bread in the past without one and it is a pain. With the bread maker it is not messy, very little clean up, and the bread comes out perfect every time.
It’s a “pain”! Hahahaha! I hope that pun was intended!
Ric

Post by Ric »

Yes.
As a hobby beer brewer I make bread with the grain after the lauter.

Wheat, grain, dry yeast, beer
Fried onions, herbs....
Let it rise the 1 hour in the oven in a square cake pen.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:47 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:37 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
It’s a “pain”! Hahahaha! I hope that pun was intended!
You caught that! hahaha!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have a maker like yours Doc. Haven't used it for years.I'm still equipped to grind my own wheat. Good bread is so available now at the store a mile away I stopped.It's cheaper at the store too. I get it hot there.

I don't use the dehydrators and croc pot as often either. Bread baking smell and consuming it while still warm is one of my greatest pleasures. As a kid we had to fill up on breads so I developed a taste for it. I've made meals of bread and olives and been quite happy many times.

joe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I found an all in one mix/bake machine at a thrift store years ago that made surprisingly good bread with really simple recipes. My ex took it when we split up lol. You just put the ingredients in and close the lid and hit go and it did it all, kneeded and baked.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, this machine does all of the things a baker would do. I put in the flour, salt, sugar, milk powder, bread improver/baking powder, yeast, whatever. Later, it beeps at me to tell me I can then add other things like nuts, berries, cheese, or whatever I want. Then, it mixes that in, as well. I choose the crust type before I start and that machine, basically a robot, kneads, raises the dough, and bakes the bread for me.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:28 pm
Yeah, this machine does all of the things a baker would do. I put in the flour, salt, sugar, milk powder, bread improver/baking powder, yeast, whatever. Later, it beeps at me to tell me I can then add other things like nuts, berries, cheese, or whatever I want. Then, it mixes that in, as well. I choose the crust type before I start and that machine, basically a robot, kneads, raises the dough, and bakes the bread for me.
That really sounds fascinating. I think I'm going to look into it.

How much bread can you make at one time?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It depends on the size of your bread maker. Mine will make either one 750 g or one 1 kg loaf at a time. That is plenty for a family.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I bake my own bread occasionally, cooking/baking soothes me, especially laborious and challenging recipes. I've never used a bread machine, but I hear they are fun and easy to use.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:49 pm
I bake my own bread occasionally, cooking/baking soothes me, especially laborious and challenging recipes. I've never used a bread machine, but I hear they are fun and easy to use.
Agree on ALL points except that word “occasionally” ;) For me it’s about twice a week....

Ken
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Last night I made traditional white Garlic bread (not the kind you get in stores!). I diced 3 fresh garlic cloves. When the machine prompted me, I added the garlic to the dough and the machine mixed it in. While it was cooking, the aroma wafted throughout the whole house. It was amazing. The best part was the eating, however. It was delicious.

Normally, when I make this for guests, it disappears in a few minutes. That is 2.25 lbs of bread gone before I get a bite!

Not long ago, I made some Italian pizza bread. It had pepperoni, olives, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, garlic and other spices, etc.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Man that pizza bread sounds delicious
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb