Pick another Favorite (XL edition)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's your favorite large Spydie folder?

Tatanka
No votes
Manix XL
9%
Police 4
9%
Military
54%
Hundred Pacer
4%
Endura
8%
Szabo
No votes
K2
5%
Chinook 4
4%
Other (let us know in comments)
8%

Total votes: 78

Tucson Tom

Re: Pick another Favorite (XL edition)

Post by Tucson Tom »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:28 am
This is one of my favorite photos I’ve seen posted here.
Both of those Photos by Mr. Bear face caught my eye !! Very nice.

As much as I bad mouth the military, I have to say it would be my choice among the poll offerings - but it is almost a tossup with the Manix XL.
The military is more svelte. The Manix XL is just a monster.

I have the Manix XL, and though it gives me the tip up carry I long for, it just seems bigger than it really is. It has a superb in-hand feel though once open and in use. But my CTS204P military is what I grab when I feel the itch to carry a big knife (actually my Street Bowie is what I grab when I want to carry a big knife, but that is another direction entirely).

The Manix XL deserves more love. It would be an interesting candidate for an upgrade to the Backlock variant. The backlock Manix 2 has thicker steel than the XL, which I find interesting.

If I lived someplace cold and snowy and needed to get work done with a knife wearing gloves, the Manix XL would be my choice, hands down.
(This is totally wrong, I stand corrected, see below).
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Heck ... I am voting for the Manix XL
bh49

Post by bh49 »

None. All of them are too big for my taste.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:25 am
Carried a Military in one form or another for a good part of my 21 years in the Army.

As for as fixed blades for military us I am not a fan. Anything you should be doing with a knife can be handled just fine with a good folder.

Issues I have with fixed blade knives is wearing it in a sheath somewhere invites bad guys to grab it and use it on you in a hand to hand situation. Also if by some crazy chance I need to use it to actually fight with being able to maybe surprise the bad guy with it is bueno.

Plus a lot of the big Rambo fixed blades I see guys carrying are heavy and when you carry everything for miles every ounce counts.
Ah, this is like a breath of fresh air. Nice to hear someone military giving these kind of thoughts about the Military.

I have been carrying my Street Bowie and amazed how light it is. I read somewhere that it was put back in production due to requests by people in the military, but that could just be hoo-hah. My scale says:

CTS-204P Military - 4.3 ounces
Street Bowie -- 6.3 ounces (including sheath)

So that is 50 percent more weight, which seems like a lot -- and 2 extra ounces -- which doesn't seem like such a lot.

But on my belt it feels like a feather -- and it just vanishes under a T-shirt, which may not be legal in all jurisdictions. I am always amazed by how light it is every time I carry it. (Yeah, I know, this is drifting entirely off topic).
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Darn near a tie for me between the Police 4 and Military, but the Police 4 gets just a little bit more carry time.
Josh
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The problem with the Manix 2 XL is it's bigger but still built for smaller(ish) hands. The grip area is basically the same as the standard M2, which is not the best for gloved hands. My pinky already falls on the rear bottom point on the butt of the handle, and with gloves it's even worse. I don't always have gloves on but it's a detail I can't overlook. My only way around that is to choke up on the choil which I don't like doing all the time, or I modify the handle shape like I've done with my Manix 2. That might be fine for ME but for the sake of a poll I see it as a negative so I've still gotta give it to the Military as the better all around knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:55 am
The problem with the Manix 2 XL is it's bigger but still built for smaller(ish) hands. The grip area is basically the same as the standard M2, which is not the best for gloved hands. My pinky already falls on the rear bottom point on the butt of the handle, and with gloves it's even worse. I don't always have gloves on but it's a detail I can't overlook. My only way around that is to choke up on the choil which I don't like doing all the time, or I modify the handle shape like I've done with my Manix 2. That might be fine for ME but for the sake of a poll I see it as a negative so I've still gotta give it to the Military as the better all around knife.
Dang, but you are right again Evil D. I put a glove on and grabbed the XL and by golly if my pinky isn't forced unpleasantly onto the bump at the end of the knife. This "bump" is much much more pronounced on the XL, so if you felt compelled to grind it off of the standard Manix, you would go nuts with the bump on the XL. The XL is just dandy though with bare hands. So my speculation about the XL being just the thing for snowy winter use is just so much smoke in the wind.

The military on the other hand feels just fine in a gloved hand -- so it is the clear winner for use with gloves.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:06 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:55 am
Dang, but you are right again Evil D. I put a glove on and grabbed the XL and by golly if my pinky isn't forced unpleasantly onto the bump at the end of the knife. This "bump" is much much more pronounced on the XL, so if you felt compelled to grind it off of the standard Manix, you would go nuts with the bump on the XL. The XL is just dandy though with bare hands. So my speculation about the XL being just the thing for snowy winter use is just so much smoke in the wind.

The military on the other hand feels just fine in a gloved hand -- so it is the clear winner for use with gloves.

Well the good news is it's a very easy knife to mod. I also don't think the CBBL is quite as easy to operate with gloves on. Again, the liner lock isn't my favorite but it's easier to operate when it counts. I will admit though that a back lock is also pretty simple to operate with gloves, they just also come with other things I don't like. It's all a compromise.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have yet to find a folder that is as easy to use with gloves on as the Military. I wore gloves at work a lot, I wear gloves doing yard work and I am a winter lover and an ice fishing addict. I live somewhere that has almost 6 months of winter and often have bulky gloves on. I can even operate the Military with big mittens on.

On side note, that may be part of the reason I have no love for deep carry. I have never worked in an office, I live in the woods and being discrete isn’t much of a concern of mine but easy extraction, even with gloves on, is important to me. I also think tip down is easier with gloves. With tip up you sort of reach into your pocket and pull the knife out. With tip up you pinch the exposed part of the handle, draw the knife and then allow it to rotate down into position. The latter is easier for me with a glove on.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:28 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:16 am
This is one of my favorite photos I’ve seen posted here.
I agree, they should use it in the catalog.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 am
I have yet to find a folder that is as easy to use with gloves on as the Military. I wore gloves at work a lot, I wear gloves doing yard work and I am a winter lover and an ice fishing addict. I live somewhere that has almost 6 months of winter and often have bulky gloves on. I can even operate the Military with big mittens on.

On side note, that may be part of the reason I have no love for deep carry. I have never worked in an office, I live in the woods and being discrete isn’t much of a concern of mine but easy extraction, even with gloves on, is important to me. I also think tip down is easier with gloves. With tip up you sort of reach into your pocket and pull the knife out. With tip up you pinch the exposed part of the handle, draw the knife and then allow it to rotate down into position. The latter is easier for me with a glove on.
All very good points. The Military is a lot more purpose built than it may seem. I think some of the people who don't get it may just never need to use a knife in the ways that the Military excels. I've also used one in a -20 degrees freezer with huge wool mittens that were so thick that when you held the knife you couldn't see any of the handle anymore, but I was still able to open it and unlock it with ease.
~David
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I'd go so far as to say, I did not appreciate the design genius of the Military until I used one at all, much less for the ways in which it excels. After I handled one I knew it was in a class of its own, and that becomes even more apparent in all the circumstances in which it is the only folder that still is usable. Cold weather with heavy mittens on is a great example.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Good info on the handle of the XL manix. I've kind of been wanting to try one but axis-type locks have always been awkward to me. This may be a blasphemous statement, but in a perfect world I'd buy a manix 2 XL in a heartbeat if it had Demko's triad lock (or any sturdy back lock). Also, I have nothing against s30v but more steel offerings would be nice. The discontinued s90v version is PRICEY on the secondary market.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Right now? It's a toss-up between the Police 3 and Manix XL DLC. Whenever the Polic 4 comes out in either DLC or stainless, that'll be my #1.

I prefer folders in this size range, but I like them as light as possible, and I require them to have a backlock, ball lock, or a Szabo style compression lock - something with a strong self closing bias. With larger folders there is an increased risk in accidental deployment, especially blade heavy models.

I appreciate the Manix XL DLC for it's extreme corrosion resistance (Coated blade AND liners!), efficient grind and secure handle shape. Could do without all the traction grooves along the top and bottom of the handle though.

The Police 3, in comparison, carries better, offers more cutting edge, and has better piercing action. I prefer the more narrow blade shape. The grip isn't as comfortable or secure for extended cutting though. Also the corrosion resistance isn't as high. I have to take-down my Police 3 and sand out rust if I carry it in the summer. Don't have to do that as much with the Manix.

Military was my favorite until I swore off detent based locks. It's a little lighter than the Police 3, definitely lighter than the Manix XL, has a more narrow blade than the manix, has the most comfortable handle of all three for extended cutting, and carries almost as well as the Police. If there was a backlock Millie with tip up it'd be the last folder I buy.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:32 am
Heck ... I am voting for the Manix XL
I love the Manix, but the XL version is just too big for me. Which is weird, but there it is. I guess I just have little girly hands.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Got my police 4 today...may have to change my vote on this in a couple weeks.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:15 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:53 pm
Seriously considering making a long winded thread about how the Police 4 is superior to the Military in 9/10 ways.
Do it man! I don't own the Police, but I was starting to have thoughts along that line for a number of reasons. The fact that Sal supposedly carries the K390 police got my atention, along with the K390 steel itself. I won't say more, but would like to hear thoughts from someone who has experience with both.
I’ll give you five not real internet dollars if you do it.

Any excuse to push me over the edge into buying one.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:43 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:25 am
Carried a Military in one form or another for a good part of my 21 years in the Army.

As for as fixed blades for military us I am not a fan. Anything you should be doing with a knife can be handled just fine with a good folder.

Issues I have with fixed blade knives is wearing it in a sheath somewhere invites bad guys to grab it and use it on you in a hand to hand situation. Also if by some crazy chance I need to use it to actually fight with being able to maybe surprise the bad guy with it is bueno.

Plus a lot of the big Rambo fixed blades I see guys carrying are heavy and when you carry everything for miles every ounce counts.
Oh no I was not talking about Spyderco fixed blades when I brought up weight. There are a number of them that I think are well within the weight I would be comfortable with.

Ah, this is like a breath of fresh air. Nice to hear someone military giving these kind of thoughts about the Military.

I have been carrying my Street Bowie and amazed how light it is. I read somewhere that it was put back in production due to requests by people in the military, but that could just be hoo-hah. My scale says:

CTS-204P Military - 4.3 ounces
Street Bowie -- 6.3 ounces (including sheath)

So that is 50 percent more weight, which seems like a lot -- and 2 extra ounces -- which doesn't seem like such a lot.

But on my belt it feels like a feather -- and it just vanishes under a T-shirt, which may not be legal in all jurisdictions. I am always amazed by how light it is every time I carry it. (Yeah, I know, this is drifting entirely off topic).
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:48 pm
What's your favorite Large Spydie Folder? :D
Tell us what you picked and why :)

You can only pick one, but you CAN change your mind!
Is the Pattada not large enough to make your list? Just curious, I don't have one but I have read very positive reviews by its fans.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

dogrunner wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:33 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:48 pm
What's your favorite Large Spydie Folder? :D
Tell us what you picked and why :)

You can only pick one, but you CAN change your mind!
Is the Pattada not large enough to make your list? Just curious, I don't have one but I have read very positive reviews by its fans.
3.9"? Yea I think that qualifies but just barely :D
(When you make these polls it limits you to 10 items)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal