Pick another Favorite (XL edition)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's your favorite large Spydie folder?

Tatanka
No votes
Manix XL
9%
Police 4
9%
Military
54%
Hundred Pacer
4%
Endura
8%
Szabo
No votes
K2
5%
Chinook 4
4%
Other (let us know in comments)
8%

Total votes: 78

TomAiello

Re: Pick another Favorite (XL edition)

Post by TomAiello »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:53 pm
Seriously considering making a long winded thread about how the Police 4 is superior to the Military in 9/10 ways.
Please do. I'd be very interested to read it.

I think the Mili will win these polls just because the most people own one, and you always vote for a knife you own and carry.
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

Errr, other. PM2 is XL for me. :o :p
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

AlwaysTomboy wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:51 pm
Errr, other. PM2 is XL for me. :o :p
Me too :D
The Police4 and Millie interest me though. And I've been curious to try out the locks on the Tatanka and Szabo. I've said it before, but I really wish there was a local shop around here that carried Spydies. I'm a huge fan, but I've only ever handled maybe 1/20th (if that) of the line up. Need to get out to Golden one of these days.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Nice shorts Bloke lol
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

This one was so hard for me.

On one hand there is the S90v Military with the sweet sweet Ti.

Although you can discount the Cruwear Military.

Then there is the 110v Military with the CQI and the production knife I can beat it without worries feeling.

In the end though all of them are amazing so that’s how I voted.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Because pictures are cool and even a regular old S30v Military is awesome.

Doesn’t hurt that this picture was taken during an Afghanistan deployment.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:49 am

We has a thread recently asking something along the lines of how "military" the Military really is and if anyone knew if it was actually being used by military personnel. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. The general opinion was that a fixed blade is the better tool for someone out in a combat situation.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Seriously considering making a long winded thread about how the Police 4 is superior to the Military in 9/10 ways.
Please do. I'd be very interested to read it.

I think the Mili will win these polls just because the most people own one, and you always vote for a knife you own and carry.

My love for this knife was nothing but earned. I wouldn't say I hated it when I first came into the brand but if you search far enough back you'll definitely find me saying it was an over rated knife, it was too big, the handle was too big, etc. I was initially a critic and it wasn't until I owned and used one enough that I started to get it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Police 4 is the same, it does share a few design similarities.

I'm not a big fan of the extra weight of the P4, even though it's only about a quarter of an ounce it's an increase and if there's one feature I'm territorial about with the Military it's weight. I've said it before, the Military is everything it can be without being too much, it hits a balance in size to weight that not many knives can reach without feeling cheap. Another big issue is the back lock. I know many would be overjoyed to have a back lock Military, but the pillar construction is absolutely superior IMO. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the liner lock but it gets the job done and it fits this knife extremely well and it's a big part of how it keeps weight down.

The only major advantages the P4 has are 4 way clip (for those who want it), ambidextrous lock (which again is not worth giving up pillar construction for me) and maybe being thinner in the grip but I also see that as a negative, I would actually love it if the Military were thicker like the Shaman.

Anyway, my point was that for me it's not a bandwagon knife. It won me over despite a few things that I initially thought could be better.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

the police 4 has not been out that long.
probably why the numers are lagging.
it is really good. lgreat ergos, long and light.
much better than previous versions.
PStone

Post by PStone »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:16 am
This is one of my favorite photos I’ve seen posted here.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I voted military as my favorite, but K2 is on my wishlist to try.
bearfacedkiller

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:28 am

This is one of my favorite photos I’ve seen posted here.
Thanks Dirt! Photography is a funny thing sometimes. I have a decent quality camera and sometimes put a bit of thought and effort into my pics yet some of my favorite ones are quick random offhand shots taken with my phone.

The poor lighting made for a grainy shot. That coupled with my dirty diesel soot covered hands and grimy concrete warehouse backdrop just all sort of works. I have many users but this is my most used knife. There is something beautiful about a dirty sprint run! :cool:
-Darby
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My all time favorite full sized folder at this time in the C-36 Military. Now I am getting rather snobbish about which blade steel I want but for now I'm content with my M390 and XHP models.

What I want to see in a larger version is the Dodo>> yes that's right the Dodo model :cool: And before you are start laughing or get the desire to throw rocks at me I want you all to realize something. The Dodo model in it's present size range is an awesome, versatile folder>> but I submit if they made a larger scale, bigger Dodo it would be a completely new knife all together. And yes I would want the bigger Dodo to be available in Spyderedge as well.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Police 4. I just love cutting with it. In theory I like the Military more, but I rarely carry it over the P4 and PM2. Someday I'm sure I'll change my mind.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:54 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:49 am

We has a thread recently asking something along the lines of how "military" the Military really is and if anyone knew if it was actually being used by military personnel. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. The general opinion was that a fixed blade is the better tool for someone out in a combat situation.
Carried a Military in one form or another for a good part of my 21 years in the Army.

As for as fixed blades for military us I am not a fan. Anything you should be doing with a knife can be handled just fine with a good folder.

Issues I have with fixed blade knives is wearing it in a sheath somewhere invites bad guys to grab it and use it on you in a hand to hand situation. Also if by some crazy chance I need to use it to actually fight with being able to maybe surprise the bad guy with it is bueno.

Plus a lot of the big Rambo fixed blades I see guys carrying are heavy and when you carry everything for miles every ounce counts.

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Right now my favorite large folder is the ulize. It carries so well in the pocket tip up. The ergos are great too and the blade shape works for me.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Do it man! I don't own the Police, but I was starting to have thoughts along that line for a number of reasons. The fact that Sal supposedly carries the K390 police got my atention, along with the K390 steel itself. I won't say more, but would like to hear thoughts from someone who has experience with both.