Sal...Coarser Stone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
threedotspoons

Sal...Coarser Stone?

Post by threedotspoons »

Sal,
Any chance of ever manufacturing a coarser ceramic stone than the 302? And is there any chance all the stones will one day be available in the 3" x 8" size like the 306UF? I've asked this before but just curious to hear it from you. Or others if they have the knowledge. I know this question keeps bubbling to the surface but I just can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please help! Take care and stay sharp!
Pelagic

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Post by Pelagic »

3x8 stones are a perfect size imo
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

From what I've seen there are issues with course stones wearing and losing their shape. It may not be as big of an issue for bench stones but this is why we haven't seen more course Sharpmaker rods or a course Golden Stone, etc.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

threedotspoons wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:54 pm
Sal,
Any chance of ever manufacturing a coarser ceramic stone than the 302? And is there any chance all the stones will one day be available in the 3" x 8" size like the 306UF? I've asked this before but just curious to hear it from you. Or others if they have the knowledge. I know this question keeps bubbling to the surface but I just can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please help! Take care and stay sharp!
Hi, threedotspoons:
I replied to your original post on 3-May with this question. There are no plans at this time. I'm happy to share the request with our product team.

Make it a good day.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I believe Sal told me that the 3x8 UF stone was specifically made for folks with straight razors. I think that we may only see an UF in that size.

For coarser stones than the current 2x8 stones diamond stones are probably a better option than coarser ceramic.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ... spoons,

Welcome to our forum.

The technology is not there at this time to make a coarser ceramic that we currently make. That doesn't mean that it may not be there in the future? When I first designed the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, I also designed the Golden Stone. The Golden Stone was a portable sharpening stone that served many needs, but the technology wasn't there to make the design for another 30 years.

The 3X8 was a pet project of mine and I met with much resistance. It's a very expensive stone to produce, sales are not robust. I would suggest a good diamond stone. We might make one of those some day.

sal
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

We use a DMT Model W250EF to establish the bevels and flatness for all of the straight razors we professionally sharpen for our shop. The double sided, perforated surface is 10" x 4". The 600grit and 1200grit work quickly and efficiently. I have sharpened several hundred razors with our original DMT and do not see any appreciable surface (diamond) wear. The stone with the base also provides an excellent platform for the Norton 4000 and 8000 grit waterstones we use to polish the razor's edges. We also use the DMT DIAFLAT Lapping Plate to assure true flatness on the waterstones.

brian
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The quickness of Sal and Kristi's responses to this thread makes me think that if anything is a definite "no", they'll let us know. Now I'm thinking back to all the "will this knife ever come out?" threads that doesn't always get an answer, and I'm just imagining Jim Carrey from Dumb & Dumber saying "so you're telling me there's a chance!!"
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Donut

Post by Donut »

A long time ago I messed up the bevel on my S90V Mule, so I went on the search for a coarse ceramic stone. My search turned up the Beston 500 grit stone. It feels a lot coarser than the Medium stone, but it doesn't really cut steel super fast.

The end of me looking for things lead me to the coarser DMT stones. They work well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:47 pm
Hi ... spoons,

Welcome to our forum.

The technology is not there at this time to make a coarser ceramic that we currently make. That doesn't mean that it may not be there in the future? When I first designed the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, I also designed the Golden Stone. The Golden Stone was a portable sharpening stone that served many needs, but the technology wasn't there to make the design for another 30 years.

The 3X8 was a pet project of mine and I met with much resistance. It's a very expensive stone to produce, sales are not robust. I would suggest a good diamond stone. We might make one of those some day.

sal
I would really like if you guys had your OEM add diamond or CBN to the ceramic matrix to make a super stone.
I know the cost would be high but that's where the highest performance is.

I'm at the point we're I'm going to make it myself if I have too.

I feel the limits of steel performance is held back by available Abrasives to cut it.

I'll show you why this technology is important in the next few months.

Shawn
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
threedotspoons

Post by threedotspoons »

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sounds like I'll have to get me a DMT. I'll look into the Beston 500 also. Stay sharp!
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 pm
sal wrote:
Hi ... spoons,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
I would really like if you guys had your OEM add diamond or CBN to the ceramic matrix to make a super stone.

I feel the limits of steel performance is held back by available Abrasives to cut it.

Shawn
Sal was being entirely truthful about the technology not being there yet. Ceramic composites are still bleeding edge technology. I had the same thought myself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceramic ... e&ie=UTF-8

As for getting their OEM, CoorsTek (yes, The beer Coors Family) to do it, it looks like they are not really in the heterogeneous abrasive media business. They are in the ceramic business. They only make homogeneous abrasives, and of that, mostly tumbling media.

My guess is you are proposing some new material for blades that is superhard or a steel or other material with superhigh carbide content. I have seen some of the discussions of these in the past; none of those end up working well for general purpose knives. Stellite (cobalt matrix composite) has too soft a matrix to resist plastic deformation, and the extreme carbide content and/or hard steels are just too obnoxious to grind/sharpen and/or too brittle due to too many carbides (like a chocolate chip cookie with more chips than dough)

Other materials besides steel just don't have the combination of material properties (hardness, toughness, etc) that make a good knife.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Knife Knut wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:59 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 pm
sal wrote:
Hi ... spoons,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Shawn
Sal was being entirely truthful about the technology not being there yet. Ceramic composites are still bleeding edge technology. I had the same thought myself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceramic ... e&ie=UTF-8

As for getting their OEM, CoorsTek (yes, The beer Coors Family) to do it, it looks like they are not really in the heterogeneous abrasive media business. They are in the ceramic business. They only make homogeneous abrasives, and of that, mostly tumbling media.

My guess is you are proposing some new material for blades that is superhard or a steel or other material with superhigh carbide content. I have seen some of the discussions of these in the past; none of those end up working well for general purpose knives. Stellite (cobalt matrix composite) has too soft a matrix to resist plastic deformation, and the extreme carbide content and/or hard steels are just too obnoxious to grind/sharpen and/or too brittle due to too many carbides (like a chocolate chip cookie with more chips than dough)

Other materials besides steel just don't have the combination of material properties (hardness, toughness, etc) that make a good knife.
They would not be for stellite 6k, talonite or Dendritic Cobalt.
Those are made out of gumballs

I'll show what I'm talking about in a few months.

Shawn
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives