Too Many Exclusives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Too Many Exclusives?

Post by The Meat man »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:26 pm
What?

GIVE US MORE!!

That's exactly what I was thinking! What's wrong with more variety?!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

All i know is I like exclusives. Too many? Never thought of it.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:29 am
It has cheapened the sprint runs IMO, maybe those with unlimited funds disagree
I agree. Exclusives were great when only a few dealers were offering them. Now that other forums, clubs and businesses are offering them the market seems flooded. The greedy inner child in me smiles thought, hopefully everyone will be short on funds when those surprise sprints that Sal likes to drop hit the shelves. In all honesty, if the exclusives were a combination I desired, I would still buy. I guess my wallet is fortunate that I don't usually share the tastes of the masses.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don’t know that sprints and exclusives are connected in a sort of zero-sum way, i.e., more exclusives equal fewer sprints. Could be but maybe not. Given that, if there is a market for variety, then I’m all for it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I kinda think of Sprints and Exclusives as being the same thing. I understand the difference between the two but as the end user it all feels the same. A limited edition combination that is usually better than the standard stock offerings. I'm not sure how Sprints would detract from Exclusives or vice versa. I could see the case that too many sprints AND exclusives cheapens the standard stock offerings as the market is flooded with "special" versions.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:48 am
I assume that the exclusives are a better deal. Spyderco has another company put up the capital to make it happen and the company gets a good price by buying a boatload of knives. Sounds like a win win. It also takes some of the risk away from Spyderco since some sprints don’t sell as well as others.
+1
This explains really well Spyderco's and dealers/distributors relations to exclusives and sprints.
From users point of view, it really doesn't matter as long as model available.
It doesn't matter for me as well. My favorite knives: CF Fluted N5 and ZDP Caly3. Both production, not sprints or exclusives. Probably it is matter only for collectors. My collector days are over :spyder:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
attila

Post by attila »

I rather like the idea of limiting exclusives, but only if it yields more sprint runs and flash batches.

Ever since MAP was increased, purchasing from anywhere other than the SFO is much more expensive than I'm usually comfortable with. I'll pay the premium for an exclusive that speaks to me, but I really wish there were more sprints so first responders/vererans/police can get limited edition knives at reasonable prices from the source.

Sprint runs are also more widely available, making them attainable to those not in the USA, and helping our over-seas friends sounds like a good idea.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Chopping Broccoli wrote: I kinda think of Sprints and Exclusives as being the same thing. I understand the difference between the two but as the end user it all feels the same.
Well the big difference is that an exclusive may be produced more than once, diluting the rarity for collector-types (I'm not one).
Chopping Broccoli wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:35 pm
I could see the case that too many sprints AND exclusives cheapens the standard stock offerings as the market is flooded with "special" versions.
I dunno, I think it's great to have so many out there that you can pretty much have whatever you want if you can find it. What it really does is make it gosh darn impossible to ever have a full collection! I can't even imagine!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Keep them coming, variety is the spice of life! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
embry386

Post by embry386 »

The large variety of sprints and exclusives are, for me, what makes this hobby fun -- the ability to collect many variants of a favorite model, to mix and match blades and scales, to eagerly anticipate what variants are coming next for that model.

If all that didn't exist, I wouldn't be nearly as into knife collecting as I am, and I would only have one or maybe two Spydies. Instead I have five, and two Byrds. Am hoping for a Native 5 M4 in that green G10 to show up next, that'd be nifty. Maybe I'll buy that saber ground one too and swap the blades, or buy the saber ground one regardless and swap it into the orange FRN handle I have lying around from the Cutlery Shoppe exclusive I bought awhile back. Dude this is so enjoyable, my only complaint (if any) is that there aren't ENOUGH exclusives. Some more damascus ones would be nice, and more black-coated blades, and a white FRN handle so I can dye it to whatever colors I want, and maybe hawkbill and wharncliffe variants... Basically I want Spyderco to make ALL THE KNIVES EVER PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE because they are awesome and the more there are the happier I am.
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

Aren't exclusives just another form of offering sprints in the first place? It does take away from the rarity of sprints, but the only people who care are people who care about resale price. Like other said, they stop when they don't sell. It's nice being able to get a knife that has specs you like without paying a collector 3rd party prices.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Chopping Broccoli wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:35 pm
I kinda think of Sprints and Exclusives as being the same thing. I understand the difference between the two but as the end user it all feels the same. A limited edition combination that is usually better than the standard stock offerings. I'm not sure how Sprints would detract from Exclusives or vice versa. I could see the case that too many sprints AND exclusives cheapens the standard stock offerings as the market is flooded with "special" versions.
I agree with my brother-from-another-mother.

Sprints and exclusives were fun when I still had a young and growing collection, but it has saturated to a point where I find it difficult to justify more variations.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:35 am
There are so many exclusives coming out these days it's hard to keep track of them all yet I haven't seen a new sprint run come out in a while. Exclusives are great and all but they're not widely available like sprints. Any chance Spyderco could consider limiting distributors and vendors to 2 exclusives each per year and then concentrate resources and capacity on new designs and sprints?

Essentially, what you're suggesting is that Spyderco should limit the production of knives that are already bought and paid for, in order to produce models at their own expense which they can only hope will sell.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Never enough!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wish they made more so the hoarders don't eat up the whole stash. Makes the sprints borderline too valuable to use
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:34 am
Aren't exclusives just another form of offering sprints in the first place? It does take away from the rarity of sprints, but the only people who care are people who care about resale price. Like other said, they stop when they don't sell. It's nice being able to get a knife that has specs you like without paying a collector 3rd party prices.
The exclusives focus pretty heavily on the models in Spyderco's portfolio that are perennial favorites. Whereas sometimes Spyderco will sprint an old model, or a connoisseur steel across several models. You don't really see that kind of thing from the dealers.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:34 am
First, ¡me gusta su nombre, hombre!

From reading these posts it appears that those wanting a reduction in exclusives are basically interested in collector value. Others, like myself, are in favor of more variety. Why would it make sense for Spyderco to turn down orders from dealers to make more sprints that may or may not sell well?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:04 am
I wish they made more so the hoarders don't eat up the whole stash. Makes the sprints borderline too valuable to use
Very true. Think about all the sprints and exclusives that will literally never get used to cut anything, lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:17 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Very true. Think about all the sprints and exclusives that will literally never get used to cut anything, lol.
Funny how that works. They design some incredible steel that could cut through concrete, but people won't touch it without a glove on or even slice a piece of paper or cardboard with it...and spend $200+ on it!
anycal

Post by anycal »

RickC27 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 am
Pelagic wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:17 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Funny how that works. They design some incredible steel that could cut through concrete, but people won't touch it without a glove on or even slice a piece of paper or cardboard with it...and spend $200+ on it!

Some of that paper could be too abrasive! It is generally pretty safe to use phone book paper. But yes, make sure to use gloves!
Peter