Lil Native dilemma

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
babtron

Lil Native dilemma

Post by babtron »

I’m a big fan of the Native series. It’s arguably my favorite in the lineup, and the Lil Native is no exception. I find it a charming knife that is built like a tank. I love the little guy, but a particular design element bothers me about it. I’m running a blank on what the part of the blade is (ricasso maybe?), but the notch where the choil meets the edge, and how it sticks above the cutout for the comp lock. Now it doesn’t necessarily affect me one hand closing it. Normally, I also double check the knife is fully closed before putting it away. And yes, I can feel it hit my index finger at times when I do one hand close it. It bothers me.

Also, another thing that bothers me, is part of the edge does seem to stick above the cutout when held at an angle towards you. It doesn’t appear looking straight at the cutout though. If I can stick the meat of my finger in there, I can definitely see my hand getting a nick from the edge, especially if I sharpen it right up to the choil.

My dilemma is, I am in love with the knife. To me, it’s the ideal size for an edc. I feel it can handle everything my Native 5 LW blurple can. I want to carry it but I don’t know how I feel about part of the choil sticking above the cutout and definitely somewhat, part of the edge.

Does anyone have any issues carrying theirs? Am I the only one who is bothered by the choil sticking above the cutout? Is there a reason why it sticks above the cutout in the first place? Do I need to worry? I have no desire whatsoever to modify the blade.

Help me carry this little guy with piece of mind!

Thank you!
Daveho

Re: Lil Native dilemma

Post by Daveho »

No issues here, I love mine
Ric

Post by Ric »

At closing the choil part touched my index finger.

I just grinded it down a few millimeter and now its better.
Just put some tape around the blade and handle and used my drilling machine and a stone wheel.

They should made the ricasso longer so that it would be a flipper :-)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't have that problem here. I avoided any chance of it by purchasing the midlock version.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

If that notch bothers you and don't want to grind it down then sell the knife. Buy the back lock version. Personally I love both versions but I'd choose the back lock if I could only have one.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Someone mentions this in a youtube video. I never noticed it effecting my use on my knife, but dang did it get some people ruffled up. Then I saw the upcoming Rhino and thought it will certainly be entertainment to watch the same people mention the choil sticking up into the compression lock cutout. I doubt you could get a finger in there and get cut on the Lil Native, but try hard enough and maybe you might. I saw some people grind down the choil nub, so you may want to go that route. But ultimately if it bothers you, then you could probably sell it while it's in good shape. I love mine. It's a little tank, more like a Lil Shaman I think.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The edge on the Yojimbo 2 is pretty close when closed but I haven't managed to cut myself yet. I would say maybe check out the back lock version.

If you're ok with modding you might be able to grind open the lock cutout a little towards the back so you can position your finger further back from the pivot when closing, that should keep the choil from bumping your finger when closing.
Last edited by Evil D on Tue May 08, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I haven't cut myself with it and I have carried it every day since it was released. The choil/ricasso hitting my finger was remedied when I adjusted the screws so it would slow down when closing right before it hits my finger. I keep trying to find a spydie I like better for edc and so far I can't.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
babtron

Post by babtron »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:07 am
I haven't cut myself with it and I have carried it every day since it was released. The choil/ricasso hitting my finger was remedied when I adjusted the screws so it would slow down when closing right before it hits my finger. I keep trying to find a spydie I like better for edc and so far I can't.
That’s reassuring, thank you for the reply. It isn’t really the ricasso hitting my finger that bothers me, it’s more the little bit of edge very very close to the cutout that bothers me the most. But since I hear being cut isn’t an issue, maybe I’ll give this guy another shot.

Also, does your knife have the end of the edge right up to the edge of the cutout?

All in all, I cannot imagine Spyderco gave this knife the go if they saw it would have been a safety concern.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The unsharpened part of the blade edge next to the nub that sticks up above the lock cutout
Spydergirl88
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That “nub” sticking out into the compression lock cutout when closed is EXACTLY the reason I so dislike the Shaman and I even wonder how that got past the QA/QC department. Sorry to say it but it just doesn’t need to be there and shouldn’t be there, period. The cutout of the PM2/Para 3/Yo2 is clear and no nub hits you when the blade swings closed. Yes, I can adapt to the way it it’s built, but I don’t want to and it’s a true shame since I love the N5 platform so much.

Don’t even get me started on the hump of the Shaman’s blade that sticks out when closed, like the old PM1 did (the original Paramilitary). That hump was remedied/removed when they CQI’d it to become the PM2. Liquid Cobra keeps telling me they had to leave something to fix for the Shaman 2... It could have been done right the first time. Yes, yes, I know, just my opinion, but I REALLY wanted to like the Shaman and no other recent offering has disappointed me so much.

This nub on the Lil Native doesn’t bother me nearly so much, simply because it’s not a huge hunk of blade like the Shaman.

Now my real question in handling the Shaman, Lil Native comp lock and Para 3 — can we please just get a comp lock N5?!? Don’t mess around with anything blade shape-wise, etc, and it’s clear the N5 frame would accept it since the Para 3 frame is nearly identical in shape.

Come on Sal!! COMP LOCK NATIVE 5! :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I overlook the 2mm of nub on the Lil Native bc I love every other part of the knife so much, it really is my favorite EDC knife. I agree with you on the gripes of the Shaman, strange that the Lil Native and Shaman both have the nub, would love to hear why they do.
I would be so in on a comp lock Native 5, especially if it has a wire clip.
Spydergirl88
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Just buy the back lock version and your problem will go away (but, they ain't cheap)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:51 am
Don't have that problem here. I avoided any chance of it by purchasing the midlock version.
How do you like that knife, in all honesty?

I have thought about it and changed my mind several times, going from one side the other. My hands are not dainty, but I can use an Urban LW, if I use the choil, and then just barely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:51 pm
The Deacon wrote:

I have thought about it and changed my mind several times, going from one side the other. My hands are not dainty, but I can use an Urban LW, if I use the choil, and then just barely.

Bottom line, not as much as the Chaparral.

It's a well made knife, but so is the CF Chaparral. If I had a whole lot of cutting to do, the Lil Native's thick handle might prove more comfortable than my Chaparral's. OTOH, the Chaparral's thinner blade might mean less effort per cut. Either way, the Lil Native would be bulkier in my pocket, the handle doesn't feel quite as natural in my hand, and the Chaparral's handle is just enough longer to allow me a full 4 finger grip without using the choil. Plus, peel-ply G-10 has never been high on my "preferred handle materials" list. However, that last would probably be easy enough to fix with a torx driver and sandpaper.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
babtron

Post by babtron »

Thanks for the replies guys! Radioactive, it would be great to hear why it was left that way. Like I said before, I cannot imagine Eric, or anyone one else in the gang would allow this knife to go into production if they thought it was would be a safety issue of being cut (speaking of the edge close to the cutout space). The “nub” is another element that I’m curious about as well.

As far as getting a backlock one instead, the thing that intrigued me about the Lil Native in the first place was the smaller blade with the comp lock, wire clip, and made in Golden to a lesser extent. If the backlock version did have a wire clip, I might consider it. But overall, I bought the Lil Native simply because of the reasons above so I don’t have any desire to own the backlock version at this time.

I might just roll with it. Carry it, use it, and not really think about the “nub” or portion of the edge somewhat sticking above the cutout. I am curious as to why these design elements are there, and as it still stands, if anyone at all has had issues with safety.
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

If it wasn't for the internet, I never would have noticed the nub. I tend to open and close the blade with the hole. To close all of my compression lock knives, I release the lock and then use the hole to pivot the blade shut, the opposite of how I open it. I don't flick the blade open or closed, but I can see how this affects that method.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:44 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:51 pm
The Deacon wrote:

Bottom line, not as much as the Chaparral.

It's a well made knife, but so is the CF Chaparral. If I had a whole lot of cutting to do, the Lil Native's thick handle might prove more comfortable than my Chaparral's. OTOH, the Chaparral's thinner blade might mean less effort per cut. Either way, the Lil Native would be bulkier in my pocket, the handle doesn't feel quite as natural in my hand, and the Chaparral's handle is just enough longer to allow me a full 4 finger grip without using the choil. Plus, peel-ply G-10 has never been high on my "preferred handle materials" list. However, that last would probably be easy enough to fix with a torx driver and sandpaper.
Thanks! That is just the kind of feedback I wanted. You said what was in my mind, but I have not actually held one, so mine was only supposition.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DoctorAutomatic

Post by DoctorAutomatic »

I finally got mine a few days ago. I had been anticipating this knife ever since the first rumors! For me, the Dragonfly to Delicate, size range is the sweet spot and the lil native is right in there.

I do wish the blade were a lot thinner, like the Dfly or chapparal. Just seems to make sense on a knife this size. But I could live with it if that were all.

Like the OP, my finger gets smacked by tip of the choil when closing. It can be quite unpleasant at times and often prevents the blade from closing. It's a big enough deal to be a deal breaker. What kills me is that it seems just the smallest of changes in geometry could have prevented this and I just can't understand how the current design made it into production, I mean it's obvious that there's a protrusion sticking out. Even a very small part of the edge appears go beyond the finger cutout, though I haven't actually been bit by that part yet. I don't have pudgy fingers or bear hands either.

I've given it a fair chance playing with open/closing it a bunch & trying hard to justify keeping it but I've come to the conclusion that this design choice/flaw is a deal breaker for me & this one will be going back. I hope for a revision or possibly another new model in this size niche.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Interesting and puzzling. I have a new Lil’ Native Compression Lock version. When I release the lock with my forefinger and give it a slight shake, the blade falls to the closed position. It’s not yet broken in nor have I lubricated the bushings. There is perhaps 1/16” of the ricasso end that rises above the G10 when it is closed. As to the edge being exposed, a bit is there if you look for it but what little there is to be seen sits flush with the G10 edge. There is no way anyone could cut themselves with the edge there.

Sometimes the “nub” will contact my finger during closing, sometimes it doesn’t depending on how I press my finger in the compression lock release. If it does make contact the blade is stopped maybe an eighth of an inch from closing.

If that is a major issue for some, then I guess the knife isn’t for you. For me it’s a non issue. I usually close mine by tripping the lock with my thumb, giving the knife a gentle shake to swing the blade closed with the choil on my index finger then close it gently the rest of the way.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation