Micarta handles for shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Micarta handles for shaman

Post by Bodog »

The poll i posted about handle materials for a sprint shaman was overwhemingly for micarta. Myself and a couple others would like to see some denim micarta. Sal has said he likes a brown canvas micarta. Personally I'd like either.

So I'm opening a thread where people can post some micarta handles they like and maybe get a discussion going with some yays and nays and maybe Sal can work some of this into a spyderco folder, which i believe would be a first. A couple of disclaimers. He said it was hard to get micarta on foreign knives that didn't warp and screw the lock up without two liners being present. He said he'd like to see brown canvas micarta.

Well, the shaman seems to not have any of those issues. It's made in the US, has double liners, and would be a superb knife to bring some micarta if the material can be sourced.

So I'd like to contribute two versions of micarta that i think would be stellar. Please share your thoughts and what you'd like to see, within reason. Let's help spyderco get this going.

Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Re: Micarta handles for shaman

Post by Bodog »

And also, it seems that the steel choice was overwhelmingly for cruwear. There are people that would object to anything not stainless, but would the choice of a nice micarta handle with cruwear steel be enough to get you on board with a unique sprint shaman? Cruwear is much more stain resistant than 52100 and Super Blue. It's akin to 3V. Please post objections because I'm sure we're all genuinely interested.

Personally, this could be a forum knife if a straight up sprint is out of the question. I'd be totally happy with "Spyderco 2018" on the blade.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

FYI, Spyderco has made micarta folders in the past. I only have a Caly Jr in micarta but I think there are a couple others. I think there was a Persian model too?

Boker made a few knives with green linen micarta that I thought looked nice. I had one of them and I thought worked very well (it had liners though).
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

zhyla wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:20 pm
FYI, Spyderco has made micarta folders in the past. I only have a Caly Jr in micarta but I think there are a couple others. I think there was a Persian model too?

Boker made a few knives with green linen micarta that I thought looked nice. I had one of them and I thought worked very well (it had liners though).
Thanks.

So you're suggesting green micarta, any pics?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be surprised if micarta happens at all given the shrinkage issues Sal mentioned. I'm not crazy about the light denim color so I think out of these two I'd go for the brown. I'll settle for plain old G10 in any decent color if it means getting a better steel in this knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

If canvas micarta will be the option, I agree with Sal about brown micarta. Handle on Temperance2 look and feel great.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
timlara

Post by timlara »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:21 am
I'd be surprised if micarta happens at all given the shrinkage issues Sal mentioned. I'm not crazy about the light denim color so I think out of these two I'd go for the brown. I'll settle for plain old G10 in any decent color if it means getting a better steel in this knife.
I agree, to me the most important enhancement for the Shaman would be a super tough steel option. I think the standard G-10 handles are actually very nice and the model is more about comfort and hard use capability.

For a fancy handle, I'd prefer CF like on the fluted Native, but in reality that would price it way outside what I'm willing to spend. I'd even be happy with contoured FRN if it meant I could get better steel at the same or even lower price as the current model.
Tim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

timlara wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:14 pm
Evil D wrote:
I agree, to me the most important enhancement for the Shaman would be a super tough steel option. I think the standard G-10 handles are actually very nice and the model is more about comfort and hard use capability.

For a fancy handle, I'd prefer CF like on the fluted Native, but in reality that would price it way outside what I'm willing to spend. I'd even be happy with contoured FRN if it meant I could get better steel at the same or even lower price as the current model.

I find polished G10 to be just about as nice to look at as CF. It's especially nice when contoured like the Street Beat. I think it would look amazing on the Shaman.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Street Beat is micarta. I do agree that polished G10 looks just as good though. Once polished up they look almost the same.

G10

Micarta
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

The orange positron with polished g10 has a great look too I think so I'd be fine with that as well.

Edit, not in orange preferably.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:31 pm
The Street Beat is micarta.

Oh right. Funny though, that kinda supports G10 as an option. The scales on the Vallotton are pretty similar to the Street Beat. The grain is a little different but if it means less shrinkage issues I think it's a win.
~David
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Evil D wrote:
Agreed but what about some micarta on USA models? The shrinkage shouldn’t be as much of an issue in the states right?
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

rybu0305 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:05 pm
Evil D wrote:
Agreed but what about some micarta on USA models? The shrinkage shouldn’t be as much of an issue in the states right?

You'd have to ask Sal on that. I guess it really depends on where the micarta is made and if it gets shipped.
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Polished G10 would be nice on Shaman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bh49 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:10 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:16 pm
I find polished G10 to be just about as nice to look at as CF. It's especially nice when contoured like the Street Beat.
I believe that street beat has micarta scales.

Yeah I had a brain fart. They're pretty similar thought. I've heard people claim that "old micarta" had some kind of amazing grip even when polished and wet. Any truth to that?
~David
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I want the blue jeans micarta, it makes perfect sense, jeans wear with cruwear!

Natural Micarta is cheaper though and more available.

Whatever gets a CRUWEAR Micarta shaman in my hand make me happy
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

It all depends on the quality of the material (which resin and fibers) and the way is was produced (high pressure or just low vacuüm). Same thing for carbon fiber products which can be produced cheaply with lots of voids in it. Micarta can be cheaper than G10, but if it will be the same quality i don't know. But Sal mentioned once that the material stability is less of an issue when you got steel liners on both sides. So i think Micarta will be fine on the Shaman. G10 can give more grip when dry and Micarta when wet because the natural fibers soak up some moisture and give it more texture.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Cruwear is my first choice, so definitely in for the steel.
Brown micarta is a great choice. As long as it is not a bright color or smurf blue, handle color does not matter to me.
Mike51772

Post by Mike51772 »

I’d like to see a Shaman with CF scales and a M390 blade. Or with Micarta scales and a M390 blade.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

204P is my steel choice, and if you want it in Cruwear then just buy the S30V. They are almost identical on Creely's steel chart. 204P is worlds better than Cruwear.

Black or Brown G-10 for me please.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/