Shark in TN river and also new Aqua Lung Dive Knife: wow!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Shark in TN river and also new Aqua Lung Dive Knife: wow!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

First of all, check out this new all-titanium diving knife from Aqua Lung.

FOUR MM THICK TITANIUM! And look at those serrations! WOW!

http://www.aqualung.com/us/scuba-diving ... naut-knife

Secondly, Doc Dan mentioned bull sharks spotted in the Tennessee River. Here is a picture:

http://www.breakingnews365.net/596e7a59 ... river.html

They also found a fresh water giant squid in Lake Michigan:

http://www.breakingnews365.net/596d389e ... higan.html
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Shark in TN river and also new Aqua Lung Dive Knife: wow!

PS: Please check up on this to make sure these are real news sites.

Here is the National Geographic site on fresh water-tolerating sharks

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/new ... rks_2.html
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Titanium doesn't typically make good knife blades - Its too soft to hold an edge for long.
it does however have some properties which are excellent (corrosion resistance, light weight)

Coating one side of the cutting edge with Tungsten Carbide can make it cut well - the Ti supports a very thin layer of tungsten carbide and stops it from breaking, and the tungsten carbide actually holds an edge.
Daniel Fairly and Ban Tang knives are both using this technique to make lightweight EDC knives - I have a Fairly Ti-BOK which is very nice - I carry it on my ankle sometimes and never notice its there till I need it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a Fairly in Ti as well, and it's an interesting experience to use it. It makes very rough cuts (almost like a serrated edge, although it's PE).
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

SEF, are you trying to late April Fools us? Squids in the great lakes?!? If you look at the photo you can tell it was taken on a salt water shore. See the foam. Fresh water foam looks different. Also the seaweed. :)

BTW, there really have been sharks pretty far up the Mississippi river. Maybe into the Ohio river even. That isn't a river picture though.

Joe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

breakingnew365 is a prank website.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't exactly remember the date but it has been a few years back. But I know it's been less than 20 years since a friend of mine who I used to fish with told me about a bull shark being found in the Mississippi River a few miles south of St. Louis, Missouri. I also remember that the shark was a fairly big one too>> somewhere between 6 to 7 feet in length. Like I said I don't remember the exact date and/or the circumstances how they caught the shark in the Mississippi River but I do know that it happened.

Also many years ago in a fresh water stream in New Jersey there was a bull shark that actually killed a swimmer. I believe it was in either the 1920s or 1930s when that New Jersey incident happened I would have to check. But YES!! bull sharks can and do adapt to fresh water. Also I remember a couple of episodes of the River Monsters show on the "Animal Planet" channel where Jeremy Wade documented bull sharks and sawfish both were commonly found in the Fitzroy River in Australia which is also a fresh water, inland river.

If the river has tributaries or fresh water streams which flow to the ocean don't think you are 1000% safe. Because all of the above information has been proven to be true and I firmly believe the sources of information I got the info from to be very reliable. And from what I've been told bull sharks are not the only sea creature that can adapt to fresh water streams.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The attacks in New Jersey that inspired the movie Jaws were in fresh water. It was a Bull Shark. That shark killed several people and bit the legs off someone.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 am

Secondly, Doc Dan mentioned bull sharks spotted in the Tennessee River. Here is a picture:

Dude, both of those are false stories from a fake news site.
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 11.01.08 PM.png
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

StuntZombie wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 am

Dude, both of those are false stories from a fake news site.
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 11.01.08 PM.png
Yes, the breakingnews site is a prank site. However, bull sharks in freshwater rivers, lakes, and streams is no joke.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I totally agree with "Doc Dan" on this subject because I've just had a lot of credible people document several instances of Bull Sharks and other salt water creatures being found in fresh water steams and lakes in quite a few cases.

The one TV star on Animal Planet that I firmly believe is a credible, reliable individual is "Jeremy Wade" of the "River Monster's" show. I've talked to two very trusted people who actually met him. He also did a very interesting episode on "River Monsters" concerning the Bagnell Dam we have here in Missouri which creates the very popular "Lake Of The Ozarks" and he had confirmed a few incidents that truly did occur at the Bagnell Dam area of the "Lake Of The Ozarks".

Jeremy Wade also did a show on the Fitzroy River in Australian and documented several salt water creatures that make their way many miles inland. Those bull sharks and sawfish both are somewhat plentiful in that river. I bet our good Brother BLOKE knows something about that ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, Bloke probably fishes for them using noodling/handfishing and wrestles them to shore. HaHaha! :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:52 am
Yeah, Bloke probably fishes for them using noodling/handfishing and wrestles them to shore. HaHaha! :D
No, no, no … Bloke developed a phobia of sharks about twenty five years ago after spending the earlier part of my life surfing all year round and recreational diving for fun and abalone. :o

When I was younger we’d see sharks while surfing and on at least two occasions fairly large ones. We generally ignored them as long as we could see them but got out of the water when they disappeared under the surface.

On one occasion while diving for ab’s a reef shark maybe about six feet long got pretty inquisitive. The visibility wasn’t the best and it would come in, swim between us, disappear in the murk and reappear from another direction. We figured it best not to push our luck and got out. :)

Last year around Easter a friend was fishing on his kayak in Botany Bay in no more than ten feet of water and had a large Bull Shark take a fish as he was about to lip grip it. He dropped his rod paddled the thirty yards to shore in record time, beached the yak and face planted when he went to disembark because his legs weren’t working too well. Ah, hahaha!

Late February this year I went for a fish chasing my target species Dusky Flathead also in Botany Bay. It was a warm afternoon and overcast and I was confident I’d catch a feed. I walked a section of beach and nailed a nice fish so I came about and figured I’d head back flicking soft plastics as I went. As happens often enough bait fish started jumping so I flicked a few casts around the edges and realised there didn’t seem to be anything chasing them at least not breaking the surface. I kept walking and following these baitfish jumping out of the water with nothing I could see chasing them or showing any interest in what I was casting. I cleaned my fish and went home. That was Wednesday afternoon.

On Friday evening a woman was bitten by an estimated ten foot Great White about five hundred yards from where I’d been fishing. I‘d bet shillings to pence the same shark was hunting the same patch I was fishing on the Wednesday and that’s why the little bait fish were jumping.

We have Bull Sharks in the freshwater and anything and everything that bites or stings in the saltwater and this little bloke who still loves the water only swims in a little bay, luckily the closest to home where sharks don’t come into over a natural reef but I still don’t swim on overcast days or alone. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

Yes thank you for pointing out that that one news site is a fake news site. But as Doc and others said, bull sharks in fresh water are real and no joke.

What I think humanity needs to do is to develop some form of working non-gimmick universal shark repeller that is:

1 Safe to humans and other creatures
2 Does not fatally injure sharks but guarantees that all dangerous or potentially dangerous shark species keep away from humans. From Great Whites/White Pointers, down to smaller ones like Nurse Sharks.

The open question is: What mechanism would successfully achieve this? People have tried with chemical repellents, electromagnetics, color patterns, and others.

Perhaps some form of nanotechnology mechanism would work?