Lil Native Questions (Grip & Future Variants)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wolfgaze

Lil Native Questions (Grip & Future Variants)

Post by wolfgaze »

- I see that there are compression lock DLC variants of this knife being released soon. Is there likely to be a backlock DLC variant coming out as well at some point? Or likely only the compression lock model?

-How have people found the grip to be on this knife? Especially for individuals with medium to medium-small sized hands? Pretty much a given that you'll always want to utilize the finger-choil when gripping this knife? How does that feel in hand, compared to some other models like the Native 5 and Para 3?

Reason I'm asking is because I own a Native 5 and I'm not terribly fond of the grip and how it feels in my hand... Really curious about the ergonomics of the Lil Native...

Thanks.
Termite Toothpick

Re: Lil Native Questions (Grip & Future Variants)

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I really like the ergos of the Lil' Native. I would compare the knife size similar to a DF2, but I think the ergos are so much better. The Lil' Native fills/fits the hand better, but is still a small knife that can be used a little harder. I also like that the Lil' Native is wider and more stout in both the handle and blade.

I like G-10 and this one has great grip and feel. But, I just wanted to play around and try something new, so I sanded my G-10 scales on my Lil' Native. I really like the look and feel of it this way and even though it is smooth now. With the finger choil and scale shape, I still have a good hold on the knife. Just that with the sanded G-10 it looks old or classic and not so tactical.

Now, I don't have a Native 5 to compare with but I do have Chaparral LW, PM2, Para3 and BMs with most of my BMs being the smaller versions (mini grip as apposed to the grip). I don't think my hands are small, but I prefer the smaller blades for comfort and concealability. Yes the Li' Native is small, but not too small
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I have a small hand and the ergos for the Lil Native are perfect for me. I generally use the finger choil on the Lil Native, para 3 and native 5. The Lil Native has a smooth choil no jimping and is very comfortable yet secure IMO. I do not miss the jimping or feel it's necessary on that knife. I carry the Lil Native every day and have been since it was released a few months ago. If the DLC compression lock version also features a black clip I will be buying that one too for sure
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have what I'd call medium-small hands, for a man. I cannot get a full 4 finger grip on my Lil Native midlock unless I use the 50/50 choil. It's just enough shorter than the Chaparral that my pinky keeps slipping off the butt of the handle if I do. It's about the same size a a Kopa, but the Lil Native handle's deeper front "saddle", while needed to provide full access to the Spyderhole of its "humpless" blade, makes it feel less natural in my hand than the Kopa or the Chaparral. However, in fairness, that could just be a case of my being more familiar with the feel of those knives.

Don't have a Para 3, probably never will unless they make a Spyderco Forum Knife out of it, but here's some shots comparing the Lil Native with the two others I mentioned.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don’t have a Lil' Native, although it’s on my wish list. I have used a Chaparral FRN and I suspect the thickness of the Lil' Native will fill the hand better even though it is not quite as long as the Chaparral.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

I have both the Back Lock and Compression Lock versions of the Lil Native, and I have fairly small hands.

I can get a four-finger grip on the Lil Native without the use of the finger choil.

The ergonomics on the Back Lock version are superior to the one on the Compression Lock. The Compression Lock's wire clip has a sharp corner that is at the edge of the handle and creates an annoying hotspot, while the Back Lock's spoon-style clip doesn't have this problem.

If you want ergonomics, go for the Back Lock. If you care more about deep carry, Compresion Lock.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Hmmm... nice to know. I am attracted to the wire clip version, but, not really liking clips anyway, I might take it off. I prefer back locks for their bias toward close and your observations on the clip leans me in the back lock direction. Thanks.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Needs jimping for the win, Sal you thoughts? I would pay to have mine jimped in Golden
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I'm holding out for the Lil Lil Native.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zhyla wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:22 pm
I'm holding out for the Lil Lil Native.

And, if they gave it a striped handle, they could call it the Colorado PotatoBug. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Thank you everyone for the replies - they've been helpful...
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:52 am
If the DLC compression lock version also features a black clip I will be buying that one too for sure

The description on the KC website says it will have a wire clip. I can't imagine they would go with a satin finish wire clip on an all black model, and they do use black wire clips on models like the Manix 2 LW DLC...

The Deacon wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:35 am
I cannot get a full 4 finger grip on my Lil Native midlock unless I use the 50/50 choil. It's just enough shorter than the Chaparral that my pinky keeps slipping off the butt of the handle if I do.

I don't like that feeling when your pinky or the bottom of your hand there cannot wrap around the knife handle comfortably... Now, I remove the pocket clips from my knives because I primarily wear cargo pants which have a thin magazine-sized pocket on the left side, around the thigh area. I'm left-handed and this pocket holds my Manix 2 or Para 3 perfectly - so it works out well for carrying those knives. On my smaller knives (like Manbug and Dragonfly 2's), I take paracord and make a real short lanyard by tying snakehead knots (about 4-5 of them) and really close to the lanyard hole. This little addition greatly improves the grip and feel of the knife - as now the bottom of your hand has something to comfortably wrap itself around... Overall it just feels like a much more uniform and secure grip... So I would make this suggestion but I understand that many people utilize the pocket clips and wouldn't want any extra lanyard/paracord hanging out of their pocket... For those who don't mind or who pocket carry like I do - I highly recommend using paracord with knots tied closer to the handle to significantly improve your grip on those smaller knives...
kvdo wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:23 am
If you want ergonomics, go for the Back Lock. If you care more about deep carry, Compresion Lock.

I would prefer the backlock version... I'm a sucker for the blacked out (DLC) models... Hopefully Sal will see this thread and comment on future plans/releases for the Lil Native...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I have the compression lock and now the back lock version too. Both are awesome. The thick scales fill the hand well and I can get a 4 finger grip with my medium hand. I'm glad there's no jimping. The scales are very grippy, jimping is not needed. I hope these are popular. I'd like to see more versions.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for your observations. I have the Lil' Native at the top of my wish list. How do the knives feel in hand with their different clips?

Team Innovation
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The wire clip does not bother me it fits into the natural indention going across my palm
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I was worried that the clip on the back lock would dig into my palm but it does not. Both clip are equally comfortable IMO.
I love the precision of the back lock. If you have a Native 5 or a Manix 2 back lock then you know how Golden has tightened tolerances.
I'm not normally into small knives. Love the Lil' Native. Both versions.