Shaman Sprints?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Shaman Sprints?

Post by Deadboxhero »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:08 am
Strider wrote: MIcarta with an upgraded steel would be amazing. However, I would also be fine with not changing the material is it helps to keep the price reasonable.
Upgraded steel is first priority
Micarta handles would be too good to be true
+1
Upgraded steel top priority.

Isn’t the current material (3D machined g10) what kicked the price up? I would say eliminate the machining to drop the price a bit, but those smooth rounded scales are half of why I bought/love it. Is there another way to achieve a similar result that isn’t as costly?
Yeah just buy a Manix 2 :D

I say just let the Shaman be the Shaman.

I LOVE THE THICKNESS OF IT!

One thick boi!

Just look at this curvy boi!

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
PStone

Post by PStone »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:45 am

One thick boi!

I agree totally, shaman is the shaman. And the scales are half of what I love.

I’m only wondering if there is a cheaper way to produce those contoured scales, since it’s what has been reported to cause the price increase.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:20 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:45 am

One thick boi!

I agree totally, shaman is the shaman. And the scales are half of what I love.

I’m only wondering if there is a cheaper way to produce those contoured scales, since it’s what has been reported to cause the price increase.

Right on brother

My take on it is sell it at whatever price that keeps it in production.

For every Shaman made that's one less paramilitary or Manix made which is alot easier for them to produce since they have been doing it for the past decade and figured out how to make them more efficiently.

Making a new design that uses more raw materials and has more machine time is definitely going to jack up the price. Also if you notice the pocket clip is designed specially for the shaman as well so that adds to it.

As a knife maker, I respect the time that went into it so I don't mind paying extra.

If you look at the Manix 2 that's the beauty of that design, it suits mass production, look at the simplicity of the mechanism, the amount of parts. It's a marvel of engineering, Eric made something that is strong, quality and cost effective.

I'd argue Shaman can't do that and still be a Shaman.

It would be a Shanix :D
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
PStone

Post by PStone »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:46 am

My take on it is sell it at whatever price that keeps it in production.

For every Shaman made that's one less paramilitary or Manix made which is alot easier for them to produce since they have been doing it for the past decade and figured out how to make them more efficiently.

Making a new design that uses more raw materials and has more machine time is definitely going to jack up the price. Also if you notice the pocket clip is designed specially for the shaman as well so that adds to it.

As a knife maker, I respect the time that went into it so I don't mind paying extra.

If you look at the Manix 2 that's the beauty of that design, it suits mass production, look at the simplicity of the mechanism, the amount of parts. It's a marvel of engineering, Eric made something that is strong, quality and cost effective.

I'd argue Shaman can't do that and still be a Shaman.

It would be a Shanix :D
Very well stated sir. When you put it like that, it makes me feel ignorant to all that goes into a knife. Not in a bad way. Just that there is a lot more I can still learn. Like for instance, the pocket clip. I had no idea it was designed specifically for this model. Also it makes sense, what you said, about the para series being dialed in after ten plus years.

And FWIW, I’d be totally down for a shanix! :spyder:
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Long live the Shanix!
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have a feeling I'm going to like this model more in general than the regular Manix 2 so I can't say I wouldn't buy it if it had simple flat scales but it would be a huge disappointment. The scales are a huge selling point for me on this one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:58 pm
I'm sure there are potential sprint possibilities watching the forum.

CPM-Cruwear with what handle material?

sal

The light or dark grey g10 used in the past would be great in my opinion. The contoured g10 in those colours would be really interesting.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:00 pm
sal wrote:

sal

The light or dark grey g10 used in the past would be great in my opinion. The contoured g10 in those colours would be really interesting.
+1 on the gray G10 for a Cruwear Shaman sprint. I would love to take it "1 louder" and see a DLC Cruwear version.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:00 pm
sal wrote:

sal

A blue or red handle would be awesome!
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:36 am
I have a feeling I'm going to like this model more in general than the regular Manix 2 so I can't say I wouldn't buy it if it had simple flat scales but it would be a huge disappointment. The scales are a huge selling point for me on this one.
Yeah i agree.

These 3D scales is what sets the Shaman apart from other models. This is the future and a great design by Sal. It makes it nicer than the Manix 2. Flat scales are not an option. But i don't want the price to go even higher if they go with carbon fiber or some other expensive material. We should stick with the G10 unless there is a cheaper material option. That's why i was asking. FRN would be ideal for this but i don't think the sales justify the costs for molds at this point.

But with the current scales supposedly being responsible for the increased price i do think they should fit better if they cost a lot. I don't like the bad finish between the scales and backspacer. It is not flush. You can clearly see it in the picture posted by Deadboxhero.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bodog wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 pm
I'd like to see 4V make its debut in a folder like the shaman. I think that's a great match.

As far as handle material...natural micarta!
Absolutely agree with both 4v and micarta. This will be a huge hit! Spyderco could absolutely double the amount they make compared to average sprint runs with no worries.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Rutger wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:44 pm
Evil D wrote:
Yeah i agree.

These 3D scales is what sets the Shaman apart from other models. This is the future and a great design by Sal. It makes it nicer than the Manix 2. Flat scales are not an option. But i don't want the price to go even higher if they go with carbon fiber or some other expensive material. We should stick with the G10 unless there is a cheaper material option. That's why i was asking. FRN would be ideal for this but i don't think the sales justify the costs for molds at this point.

But with the current scales supposedly being responsible for the increased price i do think they should fit better if they cost a lot. I don't like the bad finish between the scales and backspacer. It is not flush. You can clearly see it in the picture posted by Deadboxhero.

Ya know, there is talk of a Para 2 lightweight...if they can do a compression lock in a molded FRN handle, I'm envisioning a 3D contoured FRN handle like the original D'Allara with a single partial steel liner for the lock...that could be the stuff dreams are made of.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Where's the compression lock native? Then we need CBBL Shaman
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Rutger wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:44 pm
Evil D wrote:
Yeah i agree.

G10 can usually cost more then micarta my man
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Purple G10.

Not blurple, full on purple.

Steel? Stainless!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

Dream set up Forest Green G10, DLC Coat, Cruwear,M4,or CTS-204p.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

sal wrote:

sal
I'd love to see a regular g10 handle to keep the costs somewhat down. Burgundy would be a great option!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

What about a contoured titanium handle. That would really keep costs down hahaha
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:16 pm
What about a contoured titanium handle. That would really keep costs down hahaha
Have you ever priced marbled carbon fiber? Dude, it's beautiful but it's almost literally worth its weight in gold. I don't know which would cost more, slabs of marbled carbon fiber thick enough to make shaman handles or the machining cost of that handle in titanium. It makes my wallet hurt thinking about it.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Alright then! Bodog's polls have been quiet for the last few hours, so just to keep this in front of Sal, I just wanted to bump this to the top of the sprint/exclusive request pile ;)
Shaman Cruwear, brown micarta scales (or Cruwear with current scales if that is what it takes to get a Cruwear Shaman!).