Looking for reverse grip edge in folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
old_dog

Looking for reverse grip edge in folder

Post by old_dog »

Hello,

I'm looking for a folder that is comfortable and secure in RGEI (reverse grip edge in) other than the P'kal (been there done that). Any knife with the stiff wire pocket clip is a non-starter for me. Also the butt of the knife should be compatible with a thumb cap. Not looking for a fixed blade alternative, already own and carry several. Blade length 3 inches minimum. Price range up to $350, less is better. Pointed, inline tip, no hawkbills of clip points. Any decent locking mechanism OK; no titanium liner locks, steel is fine, titatium wears out too fast. Current prodection or discontinued doesn't matter. I think that about covers what I'm looking for.

I'm not tied into a brand but there are hundreds of Spydercos out there many of which I've never seen. Although this is a Spyderco forum, if you know of some other make that fits the bill, let me know.

Thanks for any help.
mattman

Re: Looking for reverse grip edge in folder

Post by mattman »

I'm not a SD guy, but I *believe* this is exactly what the Yojimbo2 is designed around? I think Mike Janich (the designer) has a couple YouTube vids demonstrating it...
mattman

Post by mattman »

Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

My yojimbo 2 feels great reverse grip
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

What is a “thumb cap”?

Speaking broadly... most Spyderco knives are heavily optimized for edge out use. Most also have round butts which I suspect are sketchy for reverse grip (I’m guessing that’s what you mean by thumb cap).
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Old_Dog,

Welcome to our forum.

I designed the Lil' Temperance 3 with that concept in mind. No thumb cap, but not necessary as you will note when you hold it.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... ade-3/1032

I'm planning an FRN version, but it's still a year out.

sal
old_dog

Post by old_dog »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:18 pm
What is a “thumb cap”?
You wrap your thumb on the butt of the knife to prevent your hand from sliding onto the blade if you hit a hard object.
old_dog

Post by old_dog »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:53 pm
Hi Old_Dog,

Welcome to our forum.

I designed the Lil' Temperance 3 with that concept in mind. No thumb cap, but not necessary as you will note when you hold it.

sal
Interesting little knife. Never saw one before. My first reaction was negative but after watching a few videos I became more interested. Like the blade, clip, overall size, the lock and the divot. Looks like a Dremel would make it thumb cap compatible if it turns out to be needed. That would spoil the aesthetics. Can'y really tell until I hold one in my hand.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Old_Dawg,

I designed the P'Kal with a thumb cap despite objection because I felt the design needed that feature. The new Lil' Temperance 3 has enough guard in front and "hook" in back to capture the hand securely. A long time and a lot of thought went into the design for MBC use (Martial Blade Craft).

I lean towards RGEI and I designed the knife to meet my desires.

sal
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Old_Dawg:

Most Spyderco folder designs are ergonomically biased toward edge-out, utilitarian cutting. Although the P'Kal is obviously the most obvious answer to your specific needs, the Pattada has a more "neutral" handle shape that works pretty well with RGEI and the EuroEdge and Shabaria Sprint are truly symmetrical. You might consider giving them a look as well.

Stay safe,

Mike
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:53 pm
Hi Old_Dog,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

I am so looking forward to this one. Is it going to have the exact same blade shape ? I have the old school one and I like the pointier blade so much more
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Welcome to the forum Old_Dog. I own the P'kal, Yojimbo, and a few others. Out of all the knives in my collection the 2 (besides the P'kal) that work best for RGEI with thumb cap are the Paramilitary 2 and the emerson cqc 7 (the mini 7 fits my hand perfect as well but I have small hands). The emersons are off your list most likely because of the titanium liner locks (I agree they wear out way too fast), but the Para2 works pretty good despite not being designed for it. It's got a compression lock and you can use the thumb hole to flick it open easily in forward or revese grip. And I find it easy to transition quickly from one grip to another. And it make a great utility knife :) You might also check out the Endura, and if you are willing to give up the thumb cap, the Delica works well in all grip styles.

May I ask what you didn't like about the P'kal?

some para2 pics
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
old_dog

Post by old_dog »

Thanks for the pics of the PM2 grips. This and the lil' Temperance 3 are now on my short list. Emerson also makes a framelock version of the CQC7, I think it's called the HD7.

It might sound trivial but the only problem I had with the P'kal was the stiff wire pocket clip and believe me, I tried.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Old_dog,

I bent the clip of my p'Kal out a bit to be more accessible. But I usually bent all of my clips out. I like them to "hang" in the pocket rather than be "clipped" to the pocket. Not as secure, but I've not lost one.

sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Please release a PM2 with wireclip
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

old_dog wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:06 pm
Thanks for the pics of the PM2 grips. This and the lil' Temperance 3 are now on my short list. Emerson also makes a framelock version of the CQC7, I think it's called the HD7.

It might sound trivial but the only problem I had with the P'kal was the stiff wire pocket clip and believe me, I tried.
Hi Old Dog,

A company called RGT makes a solid milled titanium replacement for the Spyderco wire clip - https://rippsgaragetech.com/products/sp ... 5039409182. I'm thinking of getting one myself to put on my Spydiechef for aesthetics.
old_dog

Post by old_dog »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:58 pm
A company called RGT makes a solid milled titanium replacement for the Spyderco wire clip - https://rippsgaragetech.com/products/sp ... 5039409182. I'm thinking of getting one myself to put on my Spydiechef for aesthetics.
Thanks, I wish I knew about these three years ago when I sold my P'kal or 3 months ago when I sold my second one.
sal

Post by sal »

"We get too soon old and too late Smart"

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:05 pm
"We get too soon old and too late Smart"

sal
That's something that cannot be fully realized until it's too late to do anything about it. I'd like to say it's the truth but it's not my time yet. I'm still young(ish) and stupid(ish).
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
old_dog

Post by old_dog »

Nice welcome, you guys are implying that I am old AND still stupid. :D
Last edited by old_dog on Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.