SAGE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
djinnzfree

SAGE

Post by djinnzfree »

I saw a friction folder from Spyderco... but it's not a sage.. just why?
Sage where dedicated to different type of locking system? You guys decide to stop at 6 model?
Don't really get it.... we got our wallet wide open just come to dig'in!
jabba359

Re: SAGE

Post by jabba359 »

I'm pretty certain Spyderco hasn't stopped at 6 (technically only 5 different locks). Here's the time between releases (I'm not including the scale change on the Sage 3):
Sage 1 -> Sage 2 (1 year)
Sage 2 -> Sage 3 (2 years)
Sage 3 -> Sage 4 (1 year)
Sage 4 -> Sage 5 (4 years)
Sage 5 -> Sage 6 (???)

The most recent was released just over a year and a half ago and they've averaged a new lock system every two years, so I'd expect we'll see a new one within the next year.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Friction folders do not have a lock...
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:17 pm
The lock is your hand....
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

djinnzfree wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:24 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:17 pm
The lock is your hand....
That's a hand not a lock.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Djinnzfree,

The friction folder was not designed to be a Sage and was not designed by Spyderco. It was a collaboration.

sal
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I hear what Djinnzfree is saying (I think), and I like it. The Sage is a series that supports Alzheimer's research. Why not add an old time "lock" to the mix? I'd definitely support a friction folder or slip joint with jigged bone, wood, or bolstered stag scales.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I bet the next sage is the stop lock
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm a fan of the Sage series but I'm not sure I'd be interested in friction folder Sage.
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:02 pm
I bet the next sage is the stop lock
Now that I would be interested in!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sage phantom lock anyone?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would certainly be interested in a slipjoint sage. Of course an axis lock sage would be a great. An axis lock sage would be a classic.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sal

Post by sal »

I think a slippy Sage would be possible. I don't think we'd do an Axis, but a caged ball is also a possibility.

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sal, now that the Axis patents have expired and you could make the same lock without using the trademarked Axis name, why not? To me the big advantage of the Axis lock over the caged ball is that the Axis permits open, flow through construction which reduces (may even eliminate for some users) the need to disassemble the knife for deep cleaning (or to send it back to the factory for the same for less mechanically inclined users). The Axis lock is undeniably influential and iconic.

I also think it would be really neat to have the same knife with Caged Ball and Axis Locks to compare side by side. Those two locks on top of the current Sage lock offerings would be amazing. I'd also probably be knife broke if you did that :o
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:23 pm
I think a slippy Sage would be possible. I don't think we'd do an Axis, but a caged ball is also a possibility.

sal
Slipit Sage 6 with Blue Cubic Check CF/G10, please.

(Micarta has had issues with humid Asia mfg vs arid Colo climes, but consider..)
sal

Post by sal »

The Axis is an excellent lock and it certainly does have some nice features. I think we would avoid it simply out of respect for Benchmade. Ed Schempp "invented" a lock a while back that has some nice features but was somewhat different from the Axis, though we felt it was too close to their patent at the time he created it. We may consider that lock?

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Oo Sal, that sounds interesting. Especially if the Sage were used to debut a new lock.

Then again, you've still got my money if you go with a slippie Sage
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

An Ed Schempp lock that's similar to the Axis lock? You have my attention.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’ll not that the Omega springs in the BM axis locks have a perpensity for breaking.
Not a huge drama as BM will send you a replacement set free of charge however it does build that expectation in.
Furthermore I have noted on several BM axis locks a disposition to have some side to side blade play when locked, not anything that effects the performance of the knife but I’m sure many would get their nickers in a twist about it.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Daveho wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:08 pm
I’ll not that the Omega springs in the BM axis locks have a perpensity for breaking.
Not a huge drama as BM will send you a replacement set free of charge however it does build that expectation in.
Furthermore I have noted on several BM axis locks a disposition to have some side to side blade play when locked, not anything that effects the performance of the knife but I’m sure many would get their nickers in a twist about it.
You are absolutely correct here. A good friend of mine is STRICTLY a BM guy. He has 20+ of them. When I recently got into the knife scene early this year, he tried to have me jump on board with BM. He has some very nice exclusives and the holy 940 in various models...BUT even his carbon scale 940, I believe he paid $270 or so for it, has side to side play and as you said it certainly has his nickers in a twist hahah! I believe I would too when spending nearly $300, I'd expect perfection. He's had springs brake in both his Griptilian and Mini Barrage as well. So I was looking at his collection and thinking how they are very nice knives, but the quality or quality control just didn't seem to be there for me. Wasn't what I was excepting for knives that are $100+. That's a big reason I started researching Spyderco's as he told me they were known for quality and similar pricing (he never handled one until I've got mine) Now he gets just as excited as I do when I have a new Spyderco coming because he wants to check it out. Thus far I haven't experienced ANY kind of blade play, off centering, uneven grind angles. He's now tempted to get a PM2 himself, but feels like he'd be cheating on his wife if he were to get a Spyderco instead of another BM haha! Only time will tell for him.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I was gifted a mini grip and it’s s great little knife but ergonomically it falls short IMHO, I’m keen to try a full sized grip with the sheepsfoot blade but really at that point I may aswell just buy another spyderco aye.