What Kind of Apples Do you Eat Using Spyderco

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

What kind of apples to you like to eat using your Spyderco?

Red Delicious
4%
Yellow Delicious
8%
Granny Smith
15%
Fuji
15%
Gala
10%
Pink Lady
8%
Lady Alice
No votes
Braeburn
4%
McIntosh
13%
Other
23%

Total votes: 48

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What Kind of Apples Do you Eat Using Spyderco

Post by Doc Dan »

Quite a lot of us love to slice apples with our Spydercos and eat them. Spydercos with their thin blades and full flat grinds are uniquely adept at this. What kinds of apples do you like the most?

I may not have your favorite on the list because there are more than 7500 types of apples in the world, today. The Lady apples are among the oldest and in the USA the Red Delicious is extremely popular.

Another question is, what is your favorite apple slicing Spyderco?

I actually like Red Delicious and Pink Fuji, but I also like crab apples and a lot more. I like to use either my Caly3 or Chaparral or a Delica.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Re: What Kind of Apples Do you Eat Using Spyderco

Post by The Deacon »

Not a fan of either red or yellow Delicious, and can't say I've ever see Lady Alice or Pink Lady, but I've enjoyed all the others you listed, as well as Macoun, Ida Red, Winesap, Cortland, Baldwin, Empire, Honeycrisp, Greening, Northern Spy, Rome Beauty, and probably a few others I can't think of right now.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Don't know my favorite apple, but favorite apple slicer is my Endura or Caly 3.5.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:09 am
None of my Spydies slices apples so good as Opinel, therefore I personally use Opinel No. 8.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’ve yet to encounter an Apple that can survive my PM2.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Love me some Golden Delicious and Honey Crisps.
Josh
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Pacific rose and jazz apples with whatever knife i have on me at the time but the good ol delica is probably my favorite for the job.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Honeycrisp FTW!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Granny Smith for me. I don't mind most other kinds, but I can't stand Red Delicious.

I haven't sliced any up with any of my Spydies yet, but if I would I'd use my Advocate.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:24 pm
Granny Smith for me. I don't mind most other kinds, but I can't stand Red Delicious.

I haven't sliced any up with any of my Spydies yet, but if I would I'd use my Advocate.
Granny Smiths for me too. I have one for an afternoon after lunch snack at work but I never use a knife. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:48 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:09 am
None of my Spydies slices apples so good as Opinel, therefore I personally use Opinel No. 8.
Peter, you need a KO5. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

One of my favorite apples to cut with my Spydercos is Mrs. Smith's Apple Pie!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I use my Shaman to cut PINEapples. I am getting hungry...gotta go.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Here in my home state of Missouri we have several apple orchards along the Missouri River banks east of KC. I voted for the MacIntosh apples but there are several varieties of apples that I like just about as good ( especially some of the yellow apples). And Yes I process most of them that I eat with my old Spyderco AUS-8, SE Catcherman and/or my two Spyderco Temperance 1 models ( PE & SE). And seriously that's about the only knives I use on when processing apples. Just the other day I had a friend give me some apples from a local grocery store he works at and we baked a bunch of them with Olive Oil, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon and real Maple Syrup. If you all have never had baked apples you are really missing out on about the best way to cook them.

They also grow some really nice yellow apples along that Missouri River valley as well. I know Washington State is known to be the best for apple growing region in the USA but I can assure you that Missouri Apples are not too far behind them>> actually I think they are just about as good.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Honeycrisp is the apple to end all apples. I generally don’t use my folder, though, since I’m almost always eating one in a space with kitchen cutlery. If I did, I’d use my PM2, or R.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I eat a lot of apples. I usually buy granny smiths because I like my apples crisp and tart and they are consistently and reliably both and they always seem to be in good shape. I also like pink ladies and honeycrisp.

I spent a lot of my life living in northern New York. Many do not know that NY is the second biggest producer of apples in the US after Washington. Many apple varieties are from NY like Rome, Cortland, and Empire. Cortland and Rome are towns in NY which have apples named after them. Where I grew up apples got really affordable in the fall. I have purchased 100 pound bags of baking apples (with blemishes) for $25 and canned a boatload of apple pie filling. Yum!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Always Fuji. But I rotate the knives--kitchen utility, sprig, "whatever is in my pocket today"...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:50 am
I eat a lot of apples. I usually buy granny smiths because I like my apples crisp and tart and they are consistently and reliably both and they always seem to be in good shape. I also like pink ladies and honeycrisp.

I spent a lot of my life living in northern New York. Many do not know that NY is the second biggest producer of apples in the US after Washington. Many apple varieties are from NY like Rome, Cortland, and Empire. Cortland and Rome are towns in NY which have apples named after them. Where I grew up apples got really affordable in the fall. I have purchased 100 pound bags of baking apples (with blemishes) for $25 and canned a boatload of apple pie filling. Yum!
That's really interesting that New York State is the second biggest apple producer in the USA. Actually it doesn't surprise me in some ways because I spent a lot of time in the western part of New York state close to Jamestown. When you get away from New York City that state is absolutely beautiful and has about 4 mountain ranges and a lot of lakes and streams and great wooded forests. I wonder if the well known nick name they call New York City ( The Big Apple) came about because of their awesome apple production :rolleyes: They also have a lot of wine vineyards and they are probably second only to Wisconsin in dairy farms too. And few people even have a clue as to how awesome of a state New York is. I just don't like the long winters up there. But I love it in the Spring & Summer. New York state is also great for trout fishing as well. That state is truly a well hidden secret in many ways.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Pink ladies are my favorite, using a military of course.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
remnar

Post by remnar »

Granny Smith cut with an Opinel No. 7 but I bet a Kiwi 4 would work well. :)