Techno vs Techno 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NoFair

Re: Techno vs Techno 2

Post by NoFair »

Have you had any issues with the lock face since you mention it as a negative? Both my Technos lock up perfectly with no issues what so ever even after years of use..

I agree on many of your other points, but don't really see the issue about the lock.
Last edited by NoFair on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'll wait on the real Nick to do a real review with the real knife in his possession. I hope your confidence isn't misplaced.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Paragraphs
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Not a bad impression (although I tend to break up my text a bit more!). And I suspect that the standoffs are for balance, not for aesthetics. But I do look forward to handling one myself!
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes, paragraphs would be very helpful.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Another vote,
for paragraphs.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think you could always take the thing apart and use oven cleaner to remove the coloring.

Some dude on blade forums was selling standoffs for the Techno 1. If you're willing to pay for the standoffs, I bet you can get them colored more plain.

In my opinion, it's a pretty boring looking knife already with the stone washed blade and the gray handles. The blue back spacer at least gives it some personality. I think you can get any color back spacer you want from cuscadi and they stock a lot of them. I had an Orange one and now have a Glow in the Dark one for my Techno.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Schpyder wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:25 pm
Sorry about the writing. The standoff’s on the 2 are nice but not in Z Hunter green. How about stone wash style like what is on the Spydie Chef. Much classier looking. If you have black velvet Elvis paintings , floral pattern sofas and high shag carpet in your trailer you make love the green. I do not.
Wow, stereotype people much? I think bright orange is hideous, so I prefer bright green as an alternative high vis color. I hate that bright green has become the default color of cheap zombie themed knives though. I do think blue or red would look better against the black, since the standoff coloring is used for accent rather than visibility in this case.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Plus 1 on paragraphs.
Gave up reading the post.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Interesting point of view, I would definitely like to get my hands on one to check it out before I buy one. I think the standoffs are a better look than the closed off back spacer... and I kind of dig the subtle splash of color done this way. I'm sure you would also be able to get different colors if one is so opposed to green.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
FX sniper

Post by FX sniper »

I´ve seen several images on the net with "MarcinS Mouse gen 2" in anodized green. Maybe the decision to make the green standoffs on the Techno 2 was inspired by that?
flash900

Post by flash900 »

How would anyone know at this date whether a forthcoming model has a carbonized lockface or not?
Nord

Post by Nord »

Hope either a lock bar insert or carbidized lock face. A $200 titanium frame lock should have one of those features IMO.
Last edited by Nord on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nord

Post by Nord »

One thing I didn't notice previously, is that despite the thinner blade (a great thing), the scales are substantially thicker on the Techno 2, so the total thickness of the knife will be same, or more likely thicker than the original Techno. A more reasonable and slicey blade is awesome, but I was thinking that we would then be getting an overall slimmer knife. That is a big miss IMO. There was no need to go with thicker scales when you are going to a slimmer blade.

https://youtu.be/KWQdUqxNMgQ

In the video he says "this one doesn't have a stainless interface because we felt with the thickness of the scales and the blade there was no need". Double darn on that. Sticking with the thinner scales and an insert is the better way to go IMO.

From this info I think I'd now rather have the original Techno, which is actually thinner overall.
Humint

Post by Humint »

I for one am extremely glad for the thicker handles and thinner blade and will also prefer no steel lock insert. I have put off purchasing any other high end knife (CRK) as I want my money to go to the Techno 2 as soon as it drops. Does anyone have a current idea of the release date? I am getting more and more excited each day. I really think this will be my number one knife this year
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

Should be later this summer, I concur on being my number one knife this year and most anticipated.
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

ugly vs ugly2!
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I've got the poor mans Techno.....they call it the Ambitious.
Studey

Post by Studey »

There seems to be a lot of confusion floating around about this...

The original Techno had a carburized lock face. It was basically ‘heat treated’ similar to the way a Sebenza is done. This is not the same as carbidizing.

Many of the Taichung framelocks have been carburized, to good effect evidently, as lockup issues are nearly unheard of on the models that have had it. Brad confirmed that the Southard received the treatment, and someone (can’t recall who, it was either Marcin or someone from Spyderco) confirmed that the Techno and Slysz Bowie were done the same way.

This has come up before when other Taichung Ti framelocks have been released, it’s how we originally heard whether the Bowie was carburized. There’s zero reason to think that this Techno 2 is being done any differently. People are acting like the Techno has a stainless interface and that Spyderco has moved away from it on the Techno 2, when in all likelihood, they’re just doing it the same way the previous model was done since that has worked out so well.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I found the lockbar relief cut-out to be snaggy on the Techno 1. They redesigned it on the Techno 2 and it looks much better to me.
I like the thinner stock.
I like the look of a non full height grind with a swedge.
I still have reservations about the ergos from what I can remember but I'm going to try the Techno 2.
As stated above, lockup geometry and longevity was never a concern.