Slim Spydies - Recommendations?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Slim Spydies - Recommendations?

Post by RamZar »

When you said slim ike Benchmade 940 and ZT 0450 it's clear that your're looking for folders with narrower overall widths.

Spyderco Centofante Memory, Mantra2, Air, Positron, Des Horn and the upcoming Brouwer & Hanan.

Most Spydercos are fairly wide by nature due to the blade hole.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I think the Spyderco PM2 carries surprisingly slim. But that might be skewed compared to my normal EDC, the Military.

It is likely difficult to manufacture a very slim knife as you describe it and also include the Spydie Hole. For that reason, when I occasionally want to carry a super slim folder I reach for one of my Boker Kwaikens (mini or full size). They better fit your description of a slim folder.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

To me there are two types of slimness in a folder. One is handle thickness and the other is overall maximum width. I think the poster was referring to overall maxium width as pointed to by BM 940 and ZT 0450. A folder with smaller handle thickness can still occupy considerable pocket space if it's too wide like the Manix.
Last edited by RamZar on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mad german wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:08 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:38 am
Depends on how you're referring to "slim". Do you mean a slim blade as in thin blade stock, or do you mean short blade height from edge to spine, or do you mean slim in grip thickness, or slim in the overall width when folded in your pocket?
Apologies for not being clear. I'm mostly referring to slim as in distance from back of scales/handle to top of spine of blade. I'd guess you'd say I'm referring to the overall width of the knife. With the BM940, for example, it's only about an inch or so wide. That's how I was defining slim.

Check out the Mantra 2 and Southard. Both of those are pretty low profile overall. The Mantra 2 is slim all over, it's pretty thin in the handle width too and disappears in your pocket. The Southard is thicker and heavier but is a really solid knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I'm telling you...I don't know how any knife can be any slimmer than the Chaparral with frn. I'm amazed by that thing. Grab some change from your pocket, stack it up. I bet the Chap is as thin as 3 or 4 quarters stacked on top of each other (excluding pocket clip) Even in terms of width it's much slimmer than any other Spyderco I own.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

RickC27 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:04 pm
I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I'm telling you...I don't know how any knife can be any slimmer than the Chaparral with frn. I'm amazed by that thing. Grab some change from your pocket, stack it up. I bet the Chap is as thin as 3 or 4 quarters stacked on top of each other (excluding pocket clip) Even in terms of width it's much slimmer than any other Spyderco I own.
Chaparral is slim in handle thickness. However, Mantra2, Positron, Centofante Memory and Air are all narrower in overall width (not thickness). Actually, Chaparral is about as wide as my Native5. Both Native5 and Chaparral are narrower than Delica4, Para3, Sage5, etc.
foofie

Post by foofie »

The positron also fits your definition of slim.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In spite of its wicked recurve blade, the Ulize, though a bit lengthy, is a surprisingly slim bit of kit.

If not put off by the Tanto blade, the Double Bevel is a little charmer.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
QUICKSILVER

Post by QUICKSILVER »

Check the Caly 3.5. Open it has a longer thinner look than most Spidies but closed it is about the same as most with the hole. This is my EDC. It is max legal for Colorado and nice in the pocket.
It would be helpful if you gave us more information. About what size & kind of blade are seeking? Are you looking only for Spyderco? Are you interested in carry ease which depends on overall bulk and handle thickness?
The Des Horn and the Centofante Air have the narrowest handles of the 26 Spides I own. But they are very small knives. The Des Horn is harder to open than most.
Both the Kershaw 3410 Chill by RJ Martin and the Boker Urban Trapper are longer narrow knives that I like.
Bill Maier
mad german

Post by mad german »

Thx all. I'll have a look at the Mantra and the Positron. As mentioned, the spyder hole is going to make most blades seem wide. I've got a fair number of PM2's and they are wide (to me), as is the Manix. One of the things I really like about my 940 and ZT0450 is how my hand slips right past them when I reach into my pocket. Not so much with my PM2, Manix, Para 3, and to a lesser extent, my Native 5 G-10.
My collection is ever changing!
mad german

Post by mad german »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:37 am
mad german wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am
That Mantra looks nice. It doesn't appear to have a lockbar insert on it, however.
Both Mantras have the lock bar insert.

I see the lockbar insert. Is it just an overtravel stop or does it actually function as a interface between the lock and blade?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Definitely check out the Spyderco Centofante II (C50). It’s been discontinued for many years, but they occasionally pop up on the secondary market in good condition. One of my all time favorite designs, especially for ultra lightweight and slim carry.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

mad german wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:27 pm
I see the lockbar insert. Is it just an overtravel stop or does it actually function as a interface between the lock and blade?
Interface
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Goddard series is pretty thin from spine to back of the blade when closed.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

The upcoming Hanan might be of interest.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

mad german wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am
That Mantra looks nice. It doesn't appear to have a lockbar insert on it, however. Have there been any issues with the Mantra's bearings and washers?

Thx guys!
I have a Mantra for over a year and it's fine. Don't think twice, get one.
ferider

Post by ferider »

My slimmest Spydies are the the ZDP Caly 3.5 and Stretch 2, Chinook 4, and the Police 4. Might want to check them out, depending on blade length you want. They all beat a ZT 0452 wrt slimness (don't have the 0450 to compare). That Chinook is amazing - so much knife in a relatively small package ...
mad german

Post by mad german »

Mantra 2 it is. My wallet hates all of you...LOL!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

mad german wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:52 am
And it always will, we're enablers of the highest order.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:43 am
mad german wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:52 am
And it always will, we're enablers of the highest order.
Truth!! I came into this knife thing saying I'd never spend over $50 on a pocket knife. Then it was $100, then $150 when i got my PM2...then last night i found myself browsing the spydiechef and Gayle Bradley.