Slim Spydies - Recommendations?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

Slim Spydies - Recommendations?

Post by mad german »

Hey all,

I've moved towards carrying slimmer blades, and really like it. I'm mostly referring to knives with profiles similar to the BM940 & ZT0450. For my edc tasks, they seem to fit rather well. I am interested in the Pattada since it seems like a slim knife. Sal teased at the possibility of one with upgraded steel in the future. How's the Sliverax carry? Is the Sliverax on PB washers or Teflon? I really like the new Police, but it's a BIG knife (lengthwise).

I'm open to all suggestions, so please feel free to let me know what Spydies you think might be a fit for the slim profile I prefer.

Thx all!
My collection is ever changing!
PSquared

Re: Slim Spydies - Recommendations?

Post by PSquared »

I'll toss the Memory into the ring ... they are still available at a few online stores.

And of course, the Centofante 3.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Depends on how you're referring to "slim". Do you mean a slim blade as in thin blade stock, or do you mean short blade height from edge to spine, or do you mean slim in grip thickness, or slim in the overall width when folded in your pocket?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Can't go wrong with the Chaparral in frn. Super thin knife and blade stock, XHP steel, under $100. Got mine last week, absolutely love it.
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

Since you asked about the Sliverax, here's a comparison with a Leek, which I consider by all definitions to be a "slim" knife.

The Sliverax has a lot of blade for its size and it's by far my favorite knife, but I'm not sure if I'd call it especially slim. You might be better served with a Caly, UKPK, or Centofante if you really want something slender in the pocket. The linerless Salt series knives are also really slim in hand.

More photos here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/LCfZo
Last edited by Drewthebrave on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mad german

Post by mad german »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:38 am
Depends on how you're referring to "slim". Do you mean a slim blade as in thin blade stock, or do you mean short blade height from edge to spine, or do you mean slim in grip thickness, or slim in the overall width when folded in your pocket?
Apologies for not being clear. I'm mostly referring to slim as in distance from back of scales/handle to top of spine of blade. I'd guess you'd say I'm referring to the overall width of the knife. With the BM940, for example, it's only about an inch or so wide. That's how I was defining slim.
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

mad german wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:08 am
Apologies for not being clear. I'm mostly referring to slim as in distance from back of scales/handle to top of spine of blade. I'd guess you'd say I'm referring to the overall width of the knife. With the BM940, for example, it's only about an inch or so wide. That's how I was defining slim.
Added a photo above for comparison. I can show a comparison with a Centofante after work, too.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’d think the Chaparrals and Urbana would fit your idea of slim.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=76647

Check out this thread in relation to the Chaparral. I would have taken pics of my own and posted them here, but I'm carrying my Sage 5 today.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Agree with psquared regarding the Centofante Memory. Also the Kiwi 4 and, if you can find one, the Des Horn.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Resized_20180413_164628 (002).jpeg
I forgot I did take this pic the other day. The Chap is on the left, Sage on the right...which isn't a very thick knife itself.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Kiwi 4 and the Baby Horn sprint are my slimmest Spydies.
:spyder:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Mantra 2 is very slim for a spydie, and pretty much the same size as the 940. Old pic:

Mantra1, Sage2, 0450, Mantra2
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Baby jess horn, urban, and positron are slim that way as well as maybe spydiechef. Just comparing knives I own.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
mad german

Post by mad german »

That Mantra looks nice. It doesn't appear to have a lockbar insert on it, however. Have there been any issues with the Mantra's bearings and washers?

Thx guys!
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

The Chaparral is extremely thin and a great choice if the size works for you. For its much bigger size, the SpydieChef is also very thin and pocketable, with a handle thickness of 0.4 inches.
Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I too prefer a slimmer knife design.

I have found the Advocate to be a slim knife that carries very well. It also has a functioning TRH if that's important to you.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

mad german wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am
That Mantra looks nice. It doesn't appear to have a lockbar insert on it, however.
Both Mantras have the lock bar insert.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

mad german wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am
That Mantra looks nice. It doesn't appear to have a lockbar insert on it, however. Have there been any issues with the Mantra's bearings and washers?

Thx guys!
The Mantra does have a lockbar insert. Some folks have had issues with the bearings & washers. I've had my Mantra for almost two years and it's still as smooth as glass.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I love the top/bottom slenderness of the Bradley Air. For side to side thin, it's tough to beat the Chaparral.