About that Lansky triangle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

About that Lansky triangle

Post by wrdwrght »

In his recent video on the goodness of the Manbug Salt, Jazz pulled out a Lansky triangle to show just how easy it is to keep this knife a cutting machine.

This sharpener's handiness appealed to me so I went to the Lansky web site to learn more.

Not surprisingly, the triangle was declared to have been designed to maintain serrated edges, including, explicitly, Spyderco's. So, I ordered one.

But the packaging in which the sharpener arrived makes no reference to Spyderco, only to serrated edges.

This omission struck me as odd because the ceramic appears to be identical to Spyderco's brown Tri-Angle in every way, including the grit, except for a shorter length.

So I went back to the web site to see if there was a triangle in the "white stuff" (Sal's oft-used phrase). None.

I'm left wondering. Do Lansky and Spyderco source their FRIABLE brown triangles from the same place, or does Lansky get them from Spyderco but in a form-factor that does not directly compete? My memory might be playing tricks on me, but haven't the Glessers also developed a ceramic business (not to forget a sailboat business)? In any case, does Spyderco exclude others from selling the NON-FRIABLE (magical?) white stuff?

Any insight appreciated. Sal?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sal

Re: About that Lansky triangle

Post by sal »

We have no involvement in the Lansky product.

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Well, that's clarity. Thanks, Sal.

Its implications are worrisome, however. Have I helped an infringer/counterfeiter?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I don’t belive spyderco own a patent on ceramic rods so Unless it was sold to you as a sharpmaker then it’s not a counterfeit, it’s simply a shapenig rod from a company that has been making sharping stones for one year less than spyderco has been making knives.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

"the triangle was declared to have been designed to maintain serrated edges, including, explicitly, Spyderco's."

Saying what it is used for and naming a brand isn't illegal,
They are of course capitalising on Spydercos great name.
I have a Lanksy, have had for 25+ years, either as long as I've had my Spydie
Or not long after. It was the sharpening brand over here in Aus for years.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
PStone

Post by PStone »

It’s actually called the “Spyder Knife Sharpener”. It is really misleading. It does seem like spyderco is affiliated by looking at it on their website.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Just realized, Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker is very close to Spyder Sharpener Triangle.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Just realized, Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker is very close to Spyder Sharpener Triangle.
Side by side, the triangles ARE identical, except in length. They have the same color and seem to me to cut the same.

Were testing of grit and friability to show no difference, I would think it fair to suspect same-sourcing, or sophisticated "reverse-engineering" by Lansky or a supplier Spyderco doesn't use.

Whatever, accompanying what you captured is the following copy: "This model of Lansky’s popular Multi-Sharpener is ideal for the distinctive serrations on Spyderco® knives."

The use of the registration mark seems a play to suggest respect for (and thus association with?) Spyderco. Deceptive, no?

I should add in light of other comments that this deception disappoints me. Before making the Sharpmaker my go-to sharpener five years ago I used to good effect a Lansky system my father gave me in the late 80s.

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I have 5 of those
Ones are identical to the SM but in shorter length (same cross-section) and come with red plastic caps. The others are more rounded at the "spine" (The side opposed to the groove) and are the same length, a bit thinner and have the same red caps. :cool: Grit seems to be the same on both, that is, the brown grit of the Sharpmaker :spyder:

I have a third version which has green caps, is much thinner but equally long, and it's advertised as "Specific For Cold Steel serrations" and recommended by Cold Steel representatives and Customer Service, although it's not a Cold Steel Product per se :o

I've had them for years and they work very well
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks for the insight, Peacent. Do you know if Lansky is attempting to match some sharpener Cold Steel actually produces?

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:15 am
Thanks for the insight, Peacent. Do you know if Lansky is attempting to match some sharpener Cold Steel actually produces?

I think that they just asked Cold Steel for their SE pattern and the permission to make a sharpener advertised for their knives, :rolleyes:
as Lynn Thompson showed no interest in making any sharpening tools or offering sharpening equipment, other than factory sharpening if you send your knife to their Ventura HQ

There are no CS products designed to sharpen or reprofile blades that I am aware of
The Lansky one works wonders, that I can tell :cool:
PStone

Post by PStone »

ThePeacent wrote:
I think that they just asked Cold Steel for their SE pattern and the permission to make a sharpener advertised for their knives, :rolleyes: ...
And that’s what I’m inclined to think as well for the spyder one too. But Sal said there is no involvement with it. So it is what it is, misleading(at least to me). But not really “deceptive”, I think, because they aren’t representing it as an genuine spyderco product.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Enough tilting at windmills, I'll just use the **** thing.

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The cold steel website used to recommend using a spyderco sharpmaker for sharpening but I'm not sure if that's still there.
PStone

Post by PStone »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 am
Enough tilting at windmills...

Lol. Perfect way to sum it all up!!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Lansky’s wording sounds informative to me, not deceptive. It good for the end line user to know which product from Lansky works best for Cold Steel serrations and which works best for Spyderco serrations.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:49 pm
Lansky’s wording sounds informative to me, not deceptive. It good for the end line user to know which product from Lansky works best for Cold Steel serrations and which works best for Spyderco serrations.
Exactly. Why the fuss?
- best wishes, Jazz.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I think the fuss is about whether or not spyderco collaborated with lansky or not. And if they are made from the same stuff spyderco rods are made of.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The "fuss" started with simple curiosity.

Once Sal said Spyderco was not involved, I got to thinking how another respected knifemaker had used the Spyderhole at first without permission.

While the Tri-Angle may not have intellectual protections like the Spyderhole, it is important enough to have been symbolized in the logo, so I began to wonder about permission or lack thereof to reproduce the triangle.

I wasn't really trying to identify a hill for Spyderco to die on. Global hysteria poses much bigger challenges for the company.

But my curiosity remains. How does Lansky have what appears to be the same brown triangle, on the one hand, and on the other, why does it not have one in the "white stuff"...

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Gatco also made one. Not sure if they still do. Lansky also makes round ones. I have a triangle in fine and medium.
- best wishes, Jazz.