Employment

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nicktheodore

Employment

Post by nicktheodore »

Who ever quit job because employer didn't allowed knives ? Or I'm the only one I recently quit job where I work for week because they didn't allowed knives inside building that only way how citizens can prevent loosing rights maybe employer will change his policies I left letter why I quit on his table
500Nitro

Re: Employment

Post by 500Nitro »

Haven't quit a job but would seriously think about it. Then again I probably would work for an anti knife, anti gun, left leaning mob anyway.

I don't shop / spend money at those places / companies so I doubt I'd work there.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

If you are working for an employer, you do not have the right to carry a knife to your place of work if their policy so states.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

TBH you need to look at if form their point of view, I think my work officially has a no knives other than the ones we issue you policy but as they haven’t issued me a uniform let alone a knife I’m just seen as taking initiative :)
Knifes are great but when I’m doing realestate work they stay in the pack but for automotive stuff it’s another story... at the end of the day the job allows me to afford knives and you know.. food + shelter
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nicktheodore,

Welcome to our forum.

How old are you? Where do you live?

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I wouldn't quit a job over that sort of thing. The point of a job is to make money, not have everything your way.

Most (all?) of my employers have had a no-weapons policy. Some of them I think had a specific no-knives policy. My university also had a knife prohibition of some sort. I've carried a regular folder throughout my career. Often these policies are just boiler plate from someone they paid to write a company policy. I've never had anyone make even the slightest fuss.

One of my jobs during college was strange, I had a conversation with the owner that ended in him telling me I could carry a gun at work but "only if it's a Walther PPK." I politely refused as I am more of an HK man.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

There have been many employer policies that I have not greed with over my years of vast experience, but I always abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the powers that be. At the end of the day, the salary that allows me to pay my bills and take care of what’s most important in my life is more pressing than whether or not I can carry a knife.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

JaseRicco wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:51 pm
There have been many employer policies that I have not greed with over my years of vast experience, but I always abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the powers that be. At the end of the day, the salary that allows me to pay my bills and take care of what’s most important in my life is more pressing than whether or not I can carry a knife.

Anytime you enter into an agreement and or contract with an employer, you are agreeing to their rules and regulations. That's what's great about the U.S.A., you have a choice to stay or walk.

Would highly suggest reading through any contracts that have to do with monetary / financial terms or lack there of before signing anything.
-C
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What if you work at a super market or grocery store and their policy is to allow employees to use flimsy box cutters for utility cutting but you know better than that and own a Spyderco Endura or Delica or Military or Paramilitary or other folder and know for sure your knife will out do the flimsy razor knife for any form of utility cutting? Do you think it is okay for the employee to explain this to whomever is the manager or owner and try to point out to them that since they allow the box cutter what harm would it do to allow the use and carry of the Spyderco folder, as long as the person is being responsible with it?
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Calicoast wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:20 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
There have been many employer policies that I have not greed with4 over my years of vast experience, but I always abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the powers that be. At the end of the day, the salary that allows me to pay my bills and take care of what’s most important in my life is more pressing than whether or not I can carry a knife.

Anytime you enter into an agreement and or contract with an employer, you are agreeing to their rules and regulations. That's what's great about the U.S.A., you have a choice to stay or walk.

Would highly suggest reading through any contracts that have to do with monetary / financial terms or lack there of before signing anything.
-C
Right, it’s called “at will employment”, which is why I stated that I do not allow trivial things such as whether or not I can carry a knife, dictate my employment. I think you may have misunderstood my response.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:24 pm
What if you work at a super market or grocery store and their policy is to allow employees to use flimsy box cutters for utility cutting but you know better than that and own a Spyderco Endura or Delica or Military or Paramilitary or other folder and know for sure your knife will out do the flimsy razor knife for any form of utility cutting? Do you think it is okay for the employee to explain this to whomever is the manager or owner and try to point out to them that since they allow the box cutter what harm would it do to allow the use and carry of the Spyderco folder, as long as the person is being responsible with it?
Depending on management, and ones comfort level with open dialogue, I don’t see a problem stating the facts. But if the answer remains no, the question that the OP is posing is would you quit a job over it, and my answer...not even close, unless I had other means of earning a salary to fall back on.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

JaseRicco wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:24 pm
Calicoast wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:20 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
There have been many employer policies that I have not greed with4 over my years of vast experience, but I always abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the powers that be. At the end of the day, the salary that allows me to pay my bills and take care of what’s most important in my life is more pressing than whether or not I can carry a knife.

-C
Right, it’s called “at will employment”, which is why I stated that I do not allow trivial things such as whether or not I can carry a knife, dictate my employment. I think you may have misunderstood my response.
This was meant for the OP in addition to what you said.
I agree with you 100%.
-C
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Just as I conceal carried a pistol at an employer with a policy against it I now carry a knife at an employer with a policy against it. The pistol was for safety as I was working in fairly shady areas where it could be needed. The knife now is more for utility when I come across something my approved box cutter can't handle safely.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
nicktheodore

Post by nicktheodore »

I'm 21 sal and I'm from Georgia I will uphold my oath to the constitution and I rather quit employment then go by unconstitutional rules 2nd amendment gives us right to bear arms so let's say if every store in the country have sign no weapons every employer have sign no weapons then we don't need have concealed carry permits because we will endup like in London Bc only few % of our land is owned by government otherwise most of it are gastation warehouses malls etc if we want to make our country democratic and hold our amendments we should do something about it now it starts with employers tell you that they don't allow knives but they allow box cutter with are more dangerous to carry and use box cutters are for box cutting but from my own experience if you use them for any other stuff the razor tent to break and can cut you so I rather be homeless hungry but a free man than an 21 century gov slave
nicktheodore

Post by nicktheodore »

Molle ninja - ok ? Who gives employer the right to tell me if I can bear arms or not ? I don't think so is the constitution I never seen an amendment stating that employer have right from preventing you to bear arms is only unconstitutional state law
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

It’s a condition of your employment, when you sign the contract you are agreeing to abide by the conditions within, Its good to be idealistic but picking your battles is important,The only one inconvenienced by you leaving stable work is you.
Additionally no one has the right to bear arms..
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:03 am
It’s a condition of your employment, when you sign the contract you are agreeing to abide by the conditions within, Its good to be idealistic but picking your battles is important.
The only one inconvenienced by you leaving work is you.
Which is what I said, if its an issue why work for them in the first place.

And if you don't have a choice, like some don't, well you have to make the decision of
whether you work for them or not have a job.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
nicktheodore

Post by nicktheodore »

Yup that's why I quit after a week finding out about the police it wasn't in the contract
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

It may be a condition of entry to the premises then, in the same way you can’t bring a weapon on an airplane or a government facility perhaps.
attila

Post by attila »

nicktheodore wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:46 am
I'm 21 sal and I'm from Georgia I will uphold my oath to the constitution and I rather quit employment then go by unconstitutional rules 2nd amendment gives us right to bear arms so let's say if every store in the country have sign no weapons every employer have sign no weapons then we don't need have concealed carry permits because we will endup like in London Bc only few % of our land is owned by government otherwise most of it are gastation warehouses malls etc if we want to make our country democratic and hold our amendments we should do something about it now it starts with employers tell you that they don't allow knives but they allow box cutter with are more dangerous to carry and use box cutters are for box cutting but from my own experience if you use them for any other stuff the razor tent to break and can cut you so I rather be homeless hungry but a free man than an 21 century gov slave
Please use some punctuation and spell check.

Normally, I wouldn't say anything, but there were no periods in that whole paragraph, making it hard to read. I'm not perfect either, but I at least try to punctuate and spell correctly.

Sorry to trouble you. Please continue the discussion. I'll see myself out.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5