Favorite PM2 variant?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ero2

Favorite PM2 variant?

Post by ero2 »

I, like many, after countless knives, find myself continually back at the PM2. With that said, I believe I have “overeducated” myself on steel to the point I can’t even pick one lol. This will be a user, boxes, garage, camping, really just a bit of everything. I feel like M390 is perhaps the “best” overall user steel, but with so many different choices...how do you choose? I LOVE DLC, and perhaps M4 in DLC coating would make it require less maintanence in a place that rains a ton? I prefer stainless as I, for whatever reason, like a clean looking blade, so as corrosionless and clean as possible would also be on my “perfect” PM2 list, but if DLC M4 fits, all good there too.

With all that said, oh wise Spydie friends, which one PM2 fits the bill? (Out of any, if it’s the one, I’ll find it, even if it’s a sprint)

Thanks all!
Archimedes

Re: Favorite PM2 variant?

Post by Archimedes »

This is my favorite.
Attachments
IMG_0445.jpg
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Archimedes wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:41 pm
This is my favorite.
I'm so jealous...

Anyway, I did try dozens of steels over the years, not particularly all in PM2. I consider de S110V as the best variant due to availability, price, performance and thanks to the availability of sharpening mediums these days, the steel can be sharpened easily by anyone putting a few dollars into a ceramic/diamond plate. The CruWear version is another one that I love, so is M390.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'm fortunate to have PM2s in a nice range of steels (S30V, S110V, M390, 204P, M4, 52100), so picking a fave is foolish.

M4 has long been my favorite tool steel (I have it in several models), but 52100 has got my full attention. What an edge it takes. I'm still not sure just how these two steels compare as performers (but see viewtopic.php?t=71542).

And I can find no fault with M390/204P and often pocket one or the other.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ero2

Post by ero2 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:54 pm
I'm fortunate to have PM2s in a nice range of steels (S30V, S110V, M390, 204P, M4, 52100), so picking a fave is foolish.

M4 has long been my favorite tool steel (I have it in several models), but 52100 has got my full attention. What an edge it takes. I'm still not sure just how these two steels compare as performers (but see viewtopic.php?t=71542).

I really like the look of DLC but am worried I won’t take good enough care of the M4 and will end up with a stained blade, etc. is it far easier, perhaps even more so with DLC, to take care of than I’m thinking? Could definitely go m390 as well, and just skip the DLC.

Thanks again guys, keep them coming, helps to hear what everyone’s favorite is and why, so thank you!
ero2

Post by ero2 »

emanuel wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:53 pm
Archimedes wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:41 pm
This is my favorite.
I'm so jealous...

Anyway, I did try dozens of steels over the years, not particularly all in PM2. I consider de S110V as the best variant due to availability, price, performance and thanks to the availability of sharpening mediums these days, the steel can be sharpened easily by anyone putting a few dollars into a ceramic/diamond plate. The CruWear version is another one that I love, so is M390.
I kind of figured 110v is up there, and perhaps difficulty sharpening is due to not having the right “tools” as you alluded to.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

The right tools definitely makes it easier to put in the finishing touches on s110v or other high carbide steels, and I can say that was my issue with it years ago. As for the starting low grits, nothing beats the good old silicon carbide stones no matter the steel. And lately I started to love the low grits toothy edges, 600-1000 grit. So much bite and so easy to restore a hair whittling edge with just a few light touches.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’ve owned almost every variant of the PM2 and I can say without a doubt that the blue M390 is my favourite. Great steel and I love the colour. Second place is probably the Maxamet version. The stonewash is incredible. Now that I’ve got a second one I’m gonna start seeing what Maxamet can do.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm not big on picking favorites because my favorite knife is usually the one I have in my pocket that day. Seriously, I like them all or I wouldn't have them.

I currently 3 PM2s. Cruwear, Red M390, & black DLC S30V.

The Cruwear is probably my favorite. I like the edge Cruwear takes, the grey scales are nice, and the action is perfect (strong detent, etc).

The red M390 is newer to me but it's quickly gaining on the Cruwear. The G10 is grippy and I like red. M390 is fairly new to me but, based on use and sharpening of my PM2 & Para 3, it might just be my favorite stainless steel. The action isn't as nice as my PM2 Cruwear but it's not bad either.

The all black S30V knife was my first PM2. I bought it used off the Exchange and it's been great. I reprofiled the edge to 15 dps and it's sharp as can be. It's well used and not as exclusive as the other two but it's served me well. I think I've carried and used it more than the other two combined.

Ask my about my favorite Para 3 and you'll get pretty much the same answer. :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ero2 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:06 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:54 pm

I really like the look of DLC but am worried I won’t take good enough care of the M4 and will end up with a stained blade, etc. is it far easier, perhaps even more so with DLC, to take care of than I’m thinking? Could definitely go m390 as well, and just skip the DLC.
Just to clarify, neither of my M4 PM2s is coated. I'm quite content to let my tool steels take on a natural patina. There's fun in watching it develop.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

S30v. I have 9 Paras and when it boils down to it , they all cut. And the a30v sharpens the best
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'll go with the Blurple S110V. There's a lot of nice ones to choose from though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I'll go with my Cruwear followed by my S35VN :spyder:
Bob on the Coast

Post by Bob on the Coast »

Blacked-out PM2 with S30V. I know it isn't a sprint or a limited run, but I like how it flies under the radar. The DLC eliminates glare, which is more Sheeple friendly if you work with the public.

Having said that, I'm still waiting on a PM2 with Seafoam Green scales! I won't even be picky on the steel as long as it has good anti-corrosive properties.
SEA-FOAM-GREEN! SEA-FOAM-GREEN! (chanting)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Right now its a toss up between the 52100 and M4 satin (jade), I have just about every flavor and these two just seem to end up in my pocket when its the PM2's turn in the rotation.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
anoir

Post by anoir »

the regular one (black g10 handle with s30v satin finish)

i really hate to bring jade or light color handle with my jeans and get dyed. i need to clean the handle every time with water and worry the m4 steel got rusted. finally i found myself always bring the regular one instead
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bob on the Coast wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:05 pm
Having said that, I'm still waiting on a PM2 with Seafoam Green scales! I won't even be picky on the steel as long as it has good anti-corrosive properties.
SEA-FOAM-GREEN! SEA-FOAM-GREEN! (chanting)
:D Welcome to the forum Bob

And welcome to Anoir as well!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ferider

Post by ferider »

1) m390 with red putman alu scales
2) s35vn with flytanium ti scales
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've had over a dozen, but anticipated the KW CF M4 the most and it did not disappoint. It is probably still my favorite, but I picked up a DLC S30v beater last year super cheap and it changed my feelings on DLC while becoming my favorite user because I simply didn't care if I destroyed it (the M4 CF took a back seat because I didn't want to ruin it). Then when the new M4 DLC dropped, I made a love child of my two favorite variants... So maybe DLC M4 CF is my new favorite? Unlike the satin, I have a couple of backups of the M4 DLC, so this one is going to be the new beater this season.

PanChango

Post by PanChango »

It may be blasphemous, but I have never been much of a PM2 fan.

I do have one in 52100, so it is my favorite.