Wanting knife as similar as possible to old Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: Wanting knife as similar as possible to old Endura

Post by Bill1170 »

If the SE Endura were available in FFG, I’d be all over it. I have one in saber but much prefer how FFG cuts.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Re Corrosion, interestingly even though I carried my Spyderco when doing water ops, mostly sea based
it never rusted !

I use high carbon steel Green River knives so have experienced blades that go rusty just looking at them lol
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Number of serrations on Endura blades

I've been looking at old and new Serrated Enduras. Studied spydiewiki, Spydercos web site
re blade lengths. Wiki is missing some info.

In looking at knives, I really like the long length and shape of my Endura 1 and I know that the blade on later models is more rounded.

But I've also noticed that some Endura blades have more serrations - 7 vs 8 of the large ones.

In addition, it doesn't always seem as far as I can tell to blade length (taking into account Wiki is missing some info).

Any comments ?

My original Endura with 7 large serrations and 2 modern with 8 large serrations.
I think they are Endura 4 C10SBK's. But some don't seem to have 8 ?
Attachments
8Serration2.jpg
8sERRATIONS.jpg
MyOrigSpyderco.jpg
MyOrigSpyderco.jpg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 644 times
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

How difficult would it be for someone to take the Endura 4 and using the right machine tools, get it as close as possible to the original Endura as pictured above?
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

In terms of blade shape along the tip of the spine to take out the rounded/less pointy shape, not much work with the right tools.

To change the serrations, I would say impossible. But I actually like the 8 large serrations.
I'll have to get one in my hand and see it for myself.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Since the OP wants fully serrated, the Pacific Salt is ideal. Its H-1 steel performs better with serrations than any other steel Spyderco has tested in serrated. Plus, it will never rust!
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:28 pm
Since the OP wants fully serrated, the Pacific Salt is ideal. Its H-1 steel performs better with serrations than any other steel Spyderco has tested in serrated. Plus, it will never rust!
Yes, I will be buying one of those as well. That message came through strongly on the first thread I posted.
Thank you for the confirmation.

I'll probably buy a new Endura 4, a Pacific Salt and get them sent to MN where a 2nd hand knife already is and
then get them posted to Aus.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Pacific Salt, especially when you're using it while climbing. Will save some weight compared to the SE Endura 4.