Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Post by The Meat man »

Just curious:

Has anyone here actually read any books written by geocentrics? Books that purport to explain their worldview?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Yes I have read one book written by the greatest geocentric of all time.
The Holy Spirit Of God.
It is called the Bible.
There are others that were written in late 1800's to early 1900's but I have not read them.
I do however, read & continue to read the most important & accurate book. It is the manufacturers workshop manual.
O.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

O,just,O wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 pm
Yes I have read one book written by the greatest geocentric of all time.
The Holy Spirit Of God.
It is called the Bible.
There are others that were written in late 1800's to early 1900's but I have not read them.
I do however, read & continue to read the most important & accurate book. It is the manufacturers workshop manual.
O.
Geocentric theory is an astronomical theory which describes the universe as a Geocentric system, i.e., a system which puts the Earth in the center of the universe, and describes other objects from the point of view of the Earth

So, you're saying that you believe the earth is the center of the universe because your God tells you it's so? Okey Dokey, no point in arguing that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I have found that with many modern geocentrists, the misunderstanding arises directly from a misguided view of the King James Version of the Bible. (sometimes referred to as the 1611 AV or Authorized Version)

I believe that the Bible is God's Word, inerrant in its original manuscripts. I also believe today we have many good and accurate translations of the Bible. Textual study and analysis of the many thousands of ancient manuscripts that have been found, as well as extensive archaeological evidence, have confirmed this.

The trouble arises when someone takes one translation, the KJV, and uphold this one translation as the only true word of God, and all others being not merely inferior but actually incorrect and not inspired by God. Many of these people belive that God essentially "re-wrote" the Bible in 1611 and now all other translation or iterations are false, even including the very ancient manuscripts upon which the KJV translation was based!

So when these people read in the Bible phrases like "the sun rose" or "the setting of the sun" they take this not as the mere phenomenological expression that it is (which expressions they themselves use and understand all the time in daily life), but they take it as a blanket statement of objective reality. Because if the KJV says it, even obvious and recognized figures of speech must be literally true.

I've read a couple modern geocentrist books, and communicated back and forth for awhile with the author of one, and this is what I've found to be the case anyway.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Meat Man, here is the thing with your statement: A person can believe the King James Bible is God's word and 100 percent accurate without being a "flat earther" or a geocentrist. One can understand contexts of words because the context determines the meaning in everything. There are plenty of King James Bible believing people who understand that the terms setting of the sun and corners of the Earth are still metaphors. A case can be made for believing the facts that the Earth orbits the sun and the Earth is round even as a King James Bible person.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Reading some of the replies to the original post it is obvious that some people cling to certain ideas that are not rational or supported by evidence and are not able to deal with those with which they disagree. There is a well documented reason for this.

It appears that we are experiencing an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. This is when someone of low ability suffers from illusory superiority. It derives from the inability to recognize one's ineptitude which produces a sense of superiority. Basically, it recognizes that when one is incompetent one can't recognize that one is incompetent which leads to a misplaced idea of superior knowledge or abilities. Detailed information about finding studies and research for the Dunning-Kruger effect is available via Google.com
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Faith provides many with great comfort and solace.
Would that I could find such peace.
In the meantime, I try not to cause others to question their faith.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:03 am
Meat Man, here is the thing with your statement: A person can believe the King James Bible is God's word and 100 percent accurate without being a "flat earther" or a geocentrist. One can understand contexts of words because the context determines the meaning in everything. There are plenty of King James Bible believing people who understand that the terms setting of the sun and corners of the Earth are still metaphors. A case can be made for believing the facts that the Earth orbits the sun and the Earth is round even as a King James Bible person.
SEF, I fully agree with that.

It's when people misunderstand the nature of the translation, are blind to the meaning of obvious figures of speech and metaphors, and insist on reading everything as literal, scientific, objective reality, that we have trouble. I personally use the KJV myself but I read and understand it, as you say, according to the context in which it's written.

After all, even physicists use words like "sunset" and "sunrise".

Of course not all proponents of geocentrism are so for these reasons. Some are just conspiracy nuts to whom everything has to be linked to some insidious plot or deception.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:00 am
Faith provides many with great comfort and solace.
Would that I could find such peace.
In the meantime, I try not to cause others to question their faith.
Mad Mac, it's not the faith itself which brings peace, but the person in whom you place it.
I hope you can find peace!
- Connor

O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

OK, I can see that cognitive dissonance has kicked in In a big way here.

The deceived is last to know that he is deceived.
What we have here is the blind leading the blind & all going in the ditch, with no one asking The Holy Spirit for guidance but seeking the approval of man. 1 Timothy 6:20-21.
The deceived thinking they believe but are deceived & teach more deception. Pray for revelation of truth in The Scriptures in Jesus name.

In any translation of the Bible you choose, Genesis chapter 1 still says water below, water above & firmament dividing the waters & heaven above.
I implore you true seekers out there to read Genesis chapter one again & pray to Jesus for revelation by the Holy Spirit.
Do not let deceivers lead you astray. Read 2 Thessalonians chapter 2 & pray for revelation of the strong delusion sent by God The Father to those who choose not to believe The Word but the world.

Go out side & look with your God given eyes & see that curvature of the earth is a lie & cannot possibly be 8" to the mile squared.
Put the claims of your worldly education to the test & choose to believe God The Father who created the earth, draw closer to Him & He will draw closer to you. Pray, ask. Your faith & understanding will grow to new heights. Romans 3:4.
O.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Your beliefs are your business but a knife forum is not the place to preach religion. I’m asking you politely to stop. Not everyone who thinks or believes differently from you is interested in being preached at or talked down to. Nor are most of us eager to engage in a long, frustrating and fruitless debate. Think what you will about me but I don’t care to hear about it nor am I interested in being badgered to accept your religious system.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Jeremiah chapters 18-19 & 20.
Spelled out here is what happens when a prophet brings a word from The Lord that is unpopular to the people.
Please learn from this account & be not like the people in chapter 18 verse 12.
O.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Please. Just stop. I don’t care.

Since you probably won’t I’m adding you to my enemies list.

Team Innovation
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:19 pm
Nor are most of us eager to engage in a long, frustrating and fruitless debate.
You are not the only one here Michael, Just the most angry & vocal about this subject.
Now you presume to speak for others ?
Let them look for themselves, for it does not matter what you think. Romans 3:4
O.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:28 pm

I’m adding you to my enemies list.
I would never do that to you Michael.
Where is the Love of Christ in you ?
O.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'd rather you stop too
This is almost like religious spamming

Thanks and have a nice day
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Thank you for being polite Peacent.
However, please try to understand how hard it is for me to sit idly by when such great lies & rubbish are promulgated.
Now I will stop until some one like SEF comes up with impossible rubbish again.
O.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

O,just,O wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:11 am
Thank you for being polite Peacent.
However, please try to understand how hard it is for me to sit idly by when such great lies & rubbish are promulgated.
Now I will stop until some one like SEF comes up with impossible rubbish again.
O.
All is well that ends well :cool:

Yes, we'll have to wait for SEF's next extravagance, which I'm sure will be early into the week :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:19 pm
Your beliefs are your business but a knife forum is not the place to preach religion. I’m asking you politely to stop. Not everyone who thinks or believes differently from you is interested in being preached at or talked down to. Nor are most of us eager to engage in a long, frustrating and fruitless debate. Think what you will about me but I don’t care to hear about it nor am I interested in being badgered to accept your religious system.
Exactly.

People have been conditioned to believe a certain way over a very long period of time, thousands of years.

Never been a fan of commercialized religion personally, the thought of one buying ones way into Heaven is absolutely ridiculous.

I do however believe that something started or made the Universe, what that is we will never know, but it did start somehow.

Science has proven the Earth is not flat, nor is it only 10,000 years old.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Earth has to be round for many reasons already stated here and elsewhere.

Here is another one: Lay down on the ground on a day where there is blue sky and you can see clouds moving. That is proof that the earth is moving. And it is moving very fast, too. It is so large we do not normally feel it as we walk around.