Do you think the delica is still relevant?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveho

Do you think the delica is still relevant?

Post by Daveho »

With the trend towards more gentlemanly folders and the increase in price do you think the delica is still a relevant knife, in its standard configuration, in spydercos lineup and the knife world generally?
Personally, I love my delica but not a day goes by with my chaparral FRN in the mail do I not wonder if the Chappy will render the delica irrelevant.
The blade shape on the delica is a key point I love but for us mantra1 owners it’s a moot point and the mantra can be had at a great price pretty regularly if you look around.

Personally I don’t know that I’ll be delica free anytime soon but I can’t think of a situation in which the delica brings something unique to the table with the exception of size comparison in review videos (legitimately that’s a reason I’ll proba keep it..)
Evil D

Re: Do you think the delica is still relevant?

Post by Evil D »

There will always be a demand for affordable work knives and the Delica is probably one of the top selling of any brand. It's the 4 cylinder Chevy S10 of the knife world. As long as they keep making it people will keep buying it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Without question! There will always be a demand for this model. I however only have the HAP40 and s30v versions. You are correct in that the blade shape is the key point (haha). The delica was my first knife in high school 30 years ago. And i came back around to it about a year ago. The more gentlemanly folder version with Pakkawood will suffice the up scaled taste for others out there. Granted the PM2 is my go to knife but i have many delicas for backup etc. Its ironic that was one of Sal's first designs and it is still in demand this many years later.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

What role do you feel the delica fills at its current price point in its standard configuration that another in the range dosnt?
Where I stumble is thus;
-The VG-10 isn’t good enough to make you drop the additional money from one of the offerings in say BD1.
-at this price point the chaparral FRN in XHP is only a couple dollars more and the steel quality there is well worth the upgrade not to mention the better clip and more compact carry.

I, personally am starting to think that in its current form and speaking totally objectively the current, standard Delica may not be as compelling of a choice as it once was.
For context, in my local market using an online retailer not including shipping;
Delica-$115 AUD- $88 USD
Chaparral FRN-$135 AUD-$104 USD
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Delica's not my cup of tea, but it still seems to sell well and I suspect it will continue to do so in years to come. We who frequent these forums sometimes loose sight of the fact that our taste in knives is not the same as John Q Knifebuyer's.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

OP, are you just making conversation here? I ask because the venerable adage "There's no accounting for taste" tells me to refrain from predicting which of a reputable brand's offerings will or will not continue to sell.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:43 pm
The Delica's not my cup of tea, but it still seems to sell well and I suspect it will continue to do so in years to come. We who frequent these forums sometimes loose sight of the fact that our taste in knives is not the same as John Q Knifebuyer's.
Great point, I gave a delica to a buddy who now has it as his EDC.
He uses it for everything from boxes to fish to flooring and he’s very happy with it.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

It’s one of the best selling knives for a reason! I found it to be too small for my likes, and just sold off mine. The Endura is more along my likes.
Josh
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

It will never be relevant to me until they get rid of those finger grooves. Any knife with finger grooves seems to be designed specifically to not fit my hand.

For the larger audience, the Delica seems to be satisfactory in performance, ergonomics, and price.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

So going forward you are all of the opinion given recent additions and price changes it remains as interesting as it always was?

Personally, I don’t know that I fall into that camp, love my delica though I do.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It's far from my favorite in any category, but I find it in my pocket every week!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 pm
It's far from my favorite in any category, but I find it in my pocket every week!
I have to agree with this, it has an X factor I think, there is a history there that ties us knife nuts together so that keeps one in my collection currently plus it’s well known enough that it ends up in the hands of non knife folk aswell.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I haven't heard anyone mention it yet so I will. For the CBC/MBC fans the Delica is a lightweight, easy to carry, low key, public friendly, and very capable self defense knife. It's what I carry for SD when I'm not carrying my Yojimbo.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

In my opinion the Delica 4 is my favorite version so far. You cite the Chaparral LW & Mantra taking it's place due to cost & materials. While the Chaparral LW does cost less and use a higher end steel, it also has a choil. Personally I prefer knives without choils. And while the Mantra may be Delica like in shape, use better steels, flipper, and framelock - that comes with a higher price.

So for me the Delica is still among my favorite Spyderco knives.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

My interest in Delicas waned a bit until I got my Delica Wharncliffe SE. This is a knife that I cant stop using. And for the price of about $80 it is amazing. Sure it lacks beauty and isn't anything to show off to your buddies, but it performs so well.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

[quote=abbazaba post_id=1221915 time=1522362641 user_id=26364]
[/quote]

This is pretty much where I'm at.

I see the Delica as a classic Spyderco design. Probably not my favorite model overall yet somehow I have 4 of them plus two others on pre-order. My blue FRN model is one of my favorite work knives and it sees duty at least once a week.

So yes...I think the Delica is still very relevant. Don't think so? Just watch when the V-Toku sprint run drops. I'd be willing to bet they sell out pretty fast.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

I definitely think it’s still relevant. I think it’s the best buy in its price range compared to what the other manufacturer offer. If you google edc knife suggestions you will often see the Delica as being the most suggested. My guess is that many of those people suggesting it only own one knife and they are OK with that. The Delica meets their needs.

I just checked Amazon and the cheapest Delica is about $20 less than the Chaparral. I keep hearing the Delicas price has gone up but I have yet to see it so far. I’m viewing this question as more of a general knife fan and not exclusively a Spyderco fan. For the price point I think it’s better than the other comparable options. In fact it’s probably my 2nd favorite Spyderco I’ve seen or handled. I do prefer the Para 3 but then again it’s twice the price.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Price is one of the points I touched on in my lengthily review of the Delica 4, but I think your point is more of a “comapared to” rather than a “is it worth it”, so I’m not gonna weigh in on that. And though I believe the Delica 4 to be just a bit overpriced, obviously it’s not so over priced as to keep me away given that I now own 4. But regarding the Delica 4 vs Chaparral price, from what I am seeing the Chaparral is $18 more, which is a good bit more than “only a couple dollars more”. And the fact that the Chaparral is literally only offered in one version is a major detractor for me personally. One of the things that I absolutely love about the Delica 4 is how many variations it is offered in...many different colors, different blade edges, different blade shapes, and even an Emerson Wave Opener If you desire.

It’s no secret that I absolutely love the Delica 4, but if my opinion counts for anything I certainly feel that it is still relevant. I did a ton of research and tried quite a few knives, in the end it was the Delica 4, and for good reason.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JaseRicco wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:07 pm
...And the fact that the Chaparral is literally only offered in one version is a major detractor for me personally....
Actually, the Chaparral is offered in 6 different versions.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:16 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:07 pm
...And the fact that the Chaparral is literally only offered in one version is a major detractor for me personally....
Actually, the Chaparral is offered in 6 different versions.
Not at remotely similar price points though.
That said, the chaparral FRN is a young knife comparatively so who knows what the future holds as far as variants goes.