Para Military 2, Spyderco’s “Sweet Spot”

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Para Military 2, Spyderco’s “Sweet Spot”

Post by MichaelScott »

This won’t come as news to many of you but I’ve decided that the Para Military 2 is Spyderco’s best, all-around-do-most-everything folding knife. It certainly sits firmly in that “sweet spot”. EDC is a loose term that has pretty much lost any original and definite meaning it once had. I doubt if anyone carries the same knife every day. I’ve had a number of Spyderco knives in the same general size range as the PM2 but after getting my new one from SFO I have to say that this is the almost perfectly made folding knife.

The materials and construction are perfect. The G10 is sufficiently textured enough that you know you’ll have a solid grip and it won’t tear holes in your pants. Smooth. Solid lock up. And, sharp with that pointy tip I love. And, perhaps most of all, it just fits my hand whether behind the choil or with it moved up on it.

I know that some will disagree, and that’s how it should be but for my money my PM2 is the best all-around folder I have had and I don’t think it will be surpassed.

So, there’s my PM2 love for today.

Freakin’ awesome knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Re: Para Military 2, Spyderco’s “Sweet Spot”

Post by steelcity16 »

It's one of my favorites. I carry different knives depending on my plans for the day, but the PM2 can do a lot. Grab a DLC M4 Jade version on BHQ while you can! They just were released a few hours ago and they just posted to IG that they are down to their last handful!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for the BHQ tip. Unfortunately, that’s out of my price range. Perhaps you should get another? Lol
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I think it's fair to say the the PM2 is wildly popular. Look at it this way; how many PM2 owners have more than one? I have two myself.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Absolutely. My first Spyderco and to this day, my most used. I've had the pleasure of using 10 different :spyder: models, and this is still my favorite.
Peter
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I wish they had a production M390 version so I didn't have to pay twice what it sold for
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
vivi

Post by vivi »

I found it a touch on the small side. The Pacific Salt to Police size range is ideal IMO.
:unicorn
standy99

Post by standy99 »

One of the nicest everything you want in a knife. Can't deny you that. Great knife. Can't deny you that.

But then I bought a GB1. Each to their own but this is the sweetest knife Spyderco has/had.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Agree with most of the OPs POVs.

Prior to buying a couple of PM2s, I thought the blade odd looking (this comming from a long time Spyderco fan :D )

With the PM2 in hand, it became an instant favorite.

A great all-round knife which rivalled/rivals my other Spyderco knives in popularity.

If one had to have only one folder (perish the thought!), the PM2 would be a good bet IMO.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

clovehitch wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:18 am
Vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:27 am
I found it a touch on the small side. The Pacific Salt to Police size range is ideal IMO.
Same. Most spydie fans seem to love small blades and cringe at anything over 3.5".... I really like the 3.5-4.5 range.
I bought a K2 when a large vendor offered a discount :D

I think, Im covered in the 'large Spyderco' department :D
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I tend to think of the PM2 as a folding Mule-ish knife. You don't get all of the exotic steels, but you can get (if you search) a wide variety of steels on that platform.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:09 am
One of the nicest everything you want in a knife. Can't deny you that. Great knife. Can't deny you that.

But then I bought a GB1. Each to their own but this is the sweetest knife Spyderco has/had.
I have more PM2s than any other Spydercos and love them but then a bought a Calypso sprint and I sure hope they do another. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a decent all around size but I'd rather have a design like the Sliverax that has full edge length. I'm finding that I need choils less and less and value the extra cutting edge I get in return. I agonized over the Para 2 vs Manix 2 and in the end the Manix came out on top. The Para is a great design but ergonomics are better for small to average sized hands, the grip behind the choil isn't as good for me as the Manix.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:58 pm
I wish they had a production M390 version so I didn't have to pay twice what it sold for
Agree 1000%!!!
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:00 am
It's a decent all around size but I'd rather have a design like the Sliverax that has full edge length. I'm finding that I need choils less and less and value the extra cutting edge I get in return. I agonized over the Para 2 vs Manix 2 and in the end the Manix came out on top. The Para is a great design but ergonomics are better for small to average sized hands, the grip behind the choil isn't as good for me as the Manix.
Yes agreed, I like both, and thought I would like the para 2 more but find myself leaning more towards the Manix 2. Looking forward to getting my lightweight s110 to try out. (Wife is holding hostage till April Bday ha)
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

In my opinion, for the price and options available, the pm2 is the best knife spyderco makes. The standard black g10 one has been my work knife for 2 years, I absolutely love it. I think the Backlock Manix, Shaman, and K390 Police are better designs but cost more money and aren't that much better tools.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Carlito555 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:24 am
Evil D wrote:
Yes agreed, I like both, and thought I would like the para 2 more but find myself leaning more towards the Manix 2. Looking forward to getting my lightweight s110 to try out. (Wife is holding hostage till April Bday ha)

It's a very excellent knife. My only wish is that it was screw construction like the Native LW.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:44 am
I tend to think of the PM2 as a folding Mule-ish knife. You don't get all of the exotic steels, but you can get (if you search) a wide variety of steels on that platform.
Funny you should say this. It explains perfectly why I have come to own more PM2s than any other model.

Initially, I did not love the PM2, but as I discovered the relative merits of S30V, 204P, M390, S110V, M4 and 52100 in it, my affection has grown atop the respect I've always had for the model.

Recently, I've been enjoying the bigger Police4 and 204P Millie, but Michael's ode inspires me to pocket one of my PM2s for a day or five.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:37 am
Carlito555 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:24 am
Evil D wrote:
Really loving my PM2 M4 Carbon right now. It feels like it was made for my hands, ergos are perfect. I have small hands I would say. I showed my friend with large hands my knife the other day, he commented how nice it was, but a little small in his hands. Military might be a better fit.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It took a while for it to grow on me, but this model won me over...

My original satin S30v still sits in my mail basket right inside my front door and gets used almost every day for opening packages. The DLC S30v I got cheap was my go to beater all last camping season, and will likely be replaced by the DLC M4 in the mail right now.