ZT 566 or 450?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

ZT 566 or 450?

Post by SG89 »

Any ZT owners want to chime in? Also how smooth/quick is the assisted opening?
Last edited by SG89 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Re: ZT 556 or 450?

Post by Sharp Guy »

0566? Can't really help you with that one. I have read complaints that they can be hard to flip when new. Not sure if that's because of a strong detent or some other problem.

I do have a 0450 and I think it's a really nice knife. I will say that it has a strong detent and it was almost impossible to flip open when new. I was getting ready to send it to ZT when a friend reminded me that the slightest pressure on the lock bar will make it hard to open. He also suggested that I loosen the clip screws and shift the clip over so it's not resting on the lock bar. That made a big difference but it was still harder to open than I liked. So I've just been taking it out of my knife box every once in awhile and flipping it and it's broken in nicely. The detent is still a bit strong but I no longer have any issues opening it. The bearings are smooth and the blade flies out. I really like the thin profile and the knife fits my hands nicely but it probably wouldn't work too well for someone with large hands.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PSquared

Re: ZT 566 or 450?

Post by PSquared »

I can also only comment on the 450 - and it's all pretty much as SG said above, it isn't the easiest to flip until you get the knack of it. Imagine a Southard with a very strong detent. It isn't assisted but it is pretty smooth.

My biggest thing with ZT is, after getting used to Spyderco's out the box edge geometry is that all my ZTs (admittedly only 5) have required a bit of quality time with the Edge Pro to rebevel them. The 450 did require less work than the larger models with thicker stock though. Even rebevelled, that sabre grind doesn't slice as well as most Spydies but it is still a cool "little" knife.
paladin

Post by paladin »

566 or 450...

easy...

Domino ;)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Easy,

562 CF
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:53 pm

He also suggested that I loosen the clip screws and shift the clip over so it's not resting on the lock bar. That made a big difference ...
I had the same problem. I positioned the clip over the frame and away from the lock bar but I needed to use blue loc tite not just on the torx screws but also on the surface of the clip that contacts the knife handle to prevent the clip from shifting back over the lock bar, even with the torx screws tightened down pretty firmly.

This is a design flaw that they should fix. Maybe the screw holes in the clip are too big or maybe the holes should have been perpendicular to the length of the knife instead of parallel. I have owned and seen far less expensive knives where the clip is fastened by two screws that don't have clip play for example my Zancudo.

That being said I do like the ZT 0450 for its action, titanium finish and design. Most of the other ZT's would be illegal where I live due to blade length rules.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a 566, but not a 450. I never carry or use the 566, honestly.

Pretty much the only ZT I ever have in my pocket is the 0770, which is just a giggle factory. Every time I pull that thing out I grin. I have the M390, but I don't think they are available any more. I think KSF had it in M4, though.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bryan123 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 am
Sharp Guy wrote:

He also suggested that I loosen the clip screws and shift the clip over so it's not resting on the lock bar. That made a big difference ...
I had the same problem. I positioned the clip over the frame and away from the lock bar but I needed to use blue loc tite not just on the torx screws but also on the surface of the clip that contacts the knife handle to prevent the clip from shifting back over the lock bar, even with the torx screws tightened down pretty firmly.

This is a design flaw that they should fix. Maybe the screw holes in the clip are too big or maybe the holes should have been perpendicular to the length of the knife instead of parallel. I have owned and seen far less expensive knives where the clip is fastened by two screws that don't have clip play for example my Zancudo.

That being said I do like the ZT 0450 for its action, titanium finish and design. Most of the other ZT's would be illegal where I live due to blade length rules.
Hi Bryan,

The clip on my 0450 hasn't moved since I adjusted it almost 2 years ago. I'm not even sure if I used blue Loctite on the screws. One thing I am sure of...if I had to glue the clip to the frame to keep it from moving it would be going back to the manufacturer.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:13 pm
bryan123 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 am
Sharp Guy wrote:

Hi Bryan,

The clip on my 0450 hasn't moved since I adjusted it almost 2 years ago. I'm not even sure if I used blue Loctite on the screws. One thing I am sure of...if I had to glue the clip to the frame to keep it from moving it would be going back to the manufacturer.
Thanks for the info and I'm glad that you're not having any clip play with your 0450. There is a thread about this issue on Bladeforums right now on the general knife discussion forum that you can find easily by searching for "clip play 0450" or "bryan123".

In that thread you will see that this problem is commonplace and that the KAI/ ZT Customer Service official response is that all 0450's leave the factory with blue loc Tite and that if the seal is broken, another small drop of loc tite would need to be reapplied.

Please check out the Bladeforum thread and let me know what you think, either on this thread or privately if you'd rather.

Thanks.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Recently I was eyeing the ZT 0450. It was that or the Spyderco Advocate. Even though I eventually went with the Advocate (beautiful knife!), I still like the looks of the ZT, and the fact that it's got a SS blade.
Of course, I guess I should've just gotten both. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"