Back locks rule

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Back locks rule

Post by twinboysdad »

Strong detent is best detent. Sorry guys, back lock is best lock. Lock rock blah blah blah...it never opens in my pocket and is ambidextrous
Daveho

Re: Back locks rule

Post by Daveho »

You are entitled to be wrong, which you are :p
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Love my Native 5. I wosh they would do G10 (with liners) and/or PPCF versions in Cruwear, 52100, M4, 3V, and 4V. Any of those would be my perfect EDC.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

This past year I found myself prefering backlocks. My top 3 users right now: Native 5, manix 2, Police 5.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

I love the Chaparral FRN ... easily could be the only one ... but here on the couch with me is a titanium framelock ...

Just more fun to manipulate.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Question: aside from ambidextrous, why would a back lock be superior to a compression lock? I don’t see any advantages.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I also believe the back lock is the best lock. If done right they are stronger than other locks, easier to manipulate under duress, easier to use with gloves on (as has been demonstrated...and a compression lock is not good at all in this regard), fully ambidextrous, safer, does not rely upon a detent, has a bias towards close, and a lot of other things I could think of, all assuming it is a quality made lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

CBBL has certain ergonomic advantages but honestly back lock is all you need. Done right and tight there’s really nothing to complain about.

Liner, frame, and compression locks are probably cheaper to make/perfect. I find liner/frame locks to be easy enough to use. They’re fine if you’re not left handed. Compression, I dunno, it seems odd to me but I need to spend more time with one.

CBBL, when it fits in the design, is still my lock of choice.

Also, locks don’t matter that much.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:19 pm
I also believe the back lock is the best lock. If done right they are stronger than other locks, easier to manipulate under duress, easier to use with gloves on (as has been demonstrated...and a compression lock is not good at all in this regard), fully ambidextrous, safer, does not rely upon a detent, has a bias towards close, and a lot of other things I could think of, all assuming it is a quality made lock.
I agree! Sure a compression lock is funnier to use when watching TV, but when it comes to real use nothing beats a back lock.
APS

Post by APS »

Yes I have other locks and enjoy them but mainly carry a backlock, typically one of my Native 5s. Never have to consider it opening unexpectedly regardless of where it gets clipped. Floppy sweat pants, IWB, back pocket with blade spine facing out, never an issue.
lunde

Post by lunde »

For me, it is more that "Spyderco" back locks rule, mainly because the Round Hole™ (see https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/ ... ound-hole/) makes deploying the blade with one hand much easier, and one can usually find a way to close it one-handed. My favorite among them is probably the Native, followed by the Endura, Delica, and Dragonfly in no particular order.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 pm
Question: aside from ambidextrous, why would a back lock be superior to a compression lock? I don’t see any advantages.
A well worn PM2/Yo2 detent can allow a shaken knife to partially open. Search threads with Millies coming open in pocket. Short of the Emerson openers, this is virtually impossible with Spyderco lock backs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love a good (respectful) debate so I'll join in. I'm gonna go out on a different limb than probably anyone here will and say my favorite lock might actually be the PLUNGE LOCK. Some of you might have no idea what that is if you don't or can't own any automatics, but it's the lock currently used on the Autonomy.

Self close bias? Well no not exactly. Actually, it's the literal opposite since it wants to stay open. But, once the blade is closed it locks into closed position and doesn't open unless you deliberately open it. You can throw this thing against the wall and it's unlikely to open, and if that's not enough you can lock it closed with the safety.

Gloved operation? Absolutely. The large button provides amazing tactile feedback even in the thickest of gloves. Opening and closing is second nature. It may not drop closed with gravity, but for those who prefer a safer/controlled closing action, this one's for you.

Don't like your fingers in the way of a closing blade? Well you'd have to deliberately put them there since you have to force the blade closed. It's practically impossible for this knife to accidentally close on your fingers. The closing operation is actually very similar in how you might close a back lock, if you're old school like me and close back locks against your thigh.

The biggest down side apart from the legal aspect of autos is that it isn't ambidextrous. However, I find it quite easy to operate with my left index finger in both opening and closing. I'd say it's far easier to operate left handed than a compression lock or liner lock. With all this in mind, I am VERY interested in seeing how the compression lock performs with a side button. It looks like it will function essentially the same but without the auto feature and without locking itself closed the way the Plunge Lock does.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Strong blade retention when closed vs weak blade retention when closed. Granted, those who love to "flick" will not consider this an advantage, but for those of us who don't it's a big one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am interested in innovative mechanisms but the Back Lock is my favorite, too.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:20 pm
Strong detent is best detent. Sorry guys, back lock is best lock. Lock rock blah blah blah...it never opens in my pocket and is ambidextrous
I love spyderco backlocks, but best lock? It's in my top 3. For SD knives compression lock is my favorite, don't want a strong bias towards closing on a knife I'm trying to open fast. And the CBBL lock is good for SD and utility.... I do love my Natives, Delicas, and Dragonflys though...
Ok maybe back lock is best, I can't say for sure. I will say that liner locks are worst lock though :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Will give my vote to the backlock.
Calgary on the Bow
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

For me personally, the CBBL is much easier then a backlock to close with one hand, and that's a important criteria for my EDC uses.

I do use back locks (its my second most used folding lock, after the CBBL) and prefer back lock to comp lock, liner lock or RIL, but I still prefer CBBL whenever I can have it.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

“ Back lock is the best lock “ just because it does not rely on a detent ? “ Back lock is the strongest lock “ ? Well ... it’s simply not true. I give you ... Ball Bearing lock :rolleyes:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Frame Lock, Liner Lock, and Axis Lock are my favorite locks.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal