First Knife of 2018

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Diamondback

Re: First Knife of 2018

Post by Diamondback »

I received a Sprint Caly 3 HAP40 last week...it exudes Moki-built quality. VERY nice attention to fit and finish...and quite reasonable for just under $130. This is a knife that will last and satisfy for many, many years. Nice work, Sal and Co. !
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Oogie wrote:I had gifted myself my first Spyderco this xmas, the PM2. Though I really appreciate the design and function, I find myself targeting designs with blades 3” or less. Fast forward a few weeks now, and I’ve added a few more pairs! I’ve enjoyed exploring the different models and steels out there, but expect to slow down for the time-being. Feeling good about my choices thus far, and hope I can do these steels justice with the Sharpmaker.

Always appreciate the passion and enthusiasm of the forum threads. I’ve been a long-time enthusiast of Oakley eyewear, so have some experience with how easy it is to get carried away with a hobby like this. But for now, here is where 3 weeks of purchases have left me:

Very nice selections! You're doing it right! Slow down? Hehe.. Where's the Manix? Get that Caly3 sprint before it's gone. Techno looks nice right? How about that slim Sage2? I bet that Delica would be fun ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

abbazaba wrote:
Oogie wrote:I had gifted myself my first Spyderco this xmas, the PM2. Though I really appreciate the design and function, I find myself targeting designs with blades 3” or less. Fast forward a few weeks now, and I’ve added a few more pairs! I’ve enjoyed exploring the different models and steels out there, but expect to slow down for the time-being. Feeling good about my choices thus far, and hope I can do these steels justice with the Sharpmaker.

Always appreciate the passion and enthusiasm of the forum threads. I’ve been a long-time enthusiast of Oakley eyewear, so have some experience with how easy it is to get carried away with a hobby like this. But for now, here is where 3 weeks of purchases have left me:

Very nice selections! You're doing it right! Slow down? Hehe.. Where's the Manix? Get that Caly3 sprint before it's gone. Techno looks nice right? How about that slim Sage2? I bet that Delica would be fun ;)
Enabler much?
He is right though, so many great models and so little time to try them all. I suggest pants with more pockets to help you on your journey :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Technically my first knife of 2018 was a BK7, but my first Spydie is this beautiful PITS. Lighter and a little smaller than I imagined, but the ergos are incredible. This knife looks, feels, and handles like a dream. Very thin behind the edge, and the "lock" inspires a different kind of confidence. Overall this is a must have at the closeout price IMO.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:Technically my first knife of 2018 was a BK7, but my first Spydie is this beautiful PITS. Lighter and a little smaller than I imagined, but the ergos are incredible. This knife looks, feels, and handles like a dream. Very thin behind the edge, and the "lock" inspires a different kind of confidence. Overall this is a must have at the closeout price IMO.

I'm still really tempted to order one of these and this pic might just push me over the edge. Is that the real world color of the blue titanium? The blue looks more subdued in other pics I've seen.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy wrote:
abbazaba wrote:Technically my first knife of 2018 was a BK7, but my first Spydie is this beautiful PITS. Lighter and a little smaller than I imagined, but the ergos are incredible. This knife looks, feels, and handles like a dream. Very thin behind the edge, and the "lock" inspires a different kind of confidence. Overall this is a must have at the closeout price IMO.

I'm still really tempted to order one of these and this pic might just push me over the edge. Is that the real world color of the blue titanium? The blue looks more subdued in other pics I've seen.
It's metallic, so it varies. On average it looks more subdued, but an overcast day with a dark background really made it pop. Being anodized they might all be a little different.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Got my chefs knife today. Going to put it to work for dinner tonight:) Then off to Xtreme Ice Racing!
Josh
Ric

Post by Ric »

Ordered BBS Para 3 smurf.
Bought at my favourite dealer my second Lil Native. Modified my existing one so no finger pecking at closing. And because the toolbox was open I also modded my Sliverax.

Sal would be proud - no knife queens but users / tools!
xxbioxx

Post by xxbioxx »

Hello. I bought my first knife in 2018. It’s mantra. Anybody can help me how can I protect the m4 blade? Thank you
Kris
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

xxbioxx wrote:Hello. I bought my first knife in 2018. It’s mantra. Anybody can help me how can I protect the m4 blade? Thank you
Just keeping it clean works pretty well for me. Some people leave a light coat I'd oil or Vaseline on the blade to protect it from staining.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:55 am
Sharp Guy wrote:

It's metallic, so it varies. On average it looks more subdued, but an overcast day with a dark background really made it pop. Being anodized they might all be a little different.

It took a while but I finely picked up one of these as well for my first knife of 2018. I couldn't pass it up for $119 at the last 20% off ebay sale. Great knife, a little stiff but still very nice. Great addition to the collection!
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

xxbioxx wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:11 pm
Hello. I bought my first knife in 2018. It’s mantra. Anybody can help me how can I protect the m4 blade? Thank you

I've been using a product called Corrosion X on my GB2 and Mantra. So far it's been working pretty well. You might not want to use it if you use your knife for food prep though. Just another option...
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Still trying to fulfill my 2017 Spyderco wishlist which consists of one model, the Advocate. Finally ordered the Advocate CQI and anxiously awaiting its' delivery.
attila

Post by attila »

Just arrived:Image
Wow! This is nice, with far better fit and finish than on either HAP40 Caly 3 I have!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
kitanis

Post by kitanis »

I started off my 2018 by buying my Manix 2 Lightweight in Maxamet.. and three weeks later I found an opportunity to buy a Native 5 Lightweight in the same steel..

Love it...

Now.. I have plans to buy Lil Native and possibly a Para 3 before the end of the year
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

Just like oldirty9014, long time lurker and decided this would be a great topic for a first post.

I’m very excited for 2018, my first Spyderco knife purchase is definitely going to be the Techno 2, followed by the Rhino.

After that it’s gets a bit murky, undecided between Smock, Sliverax, Mantra 3, Brouwer, or Paysan.

Definitely going to have to sell some of the collection to fund this year.
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

A Chapparal FRN was my first Spyderco purchase of 2018, and my next and last will be the Redback Spyder!
Josh
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

I got all of my Spyderco in 2018, a Dragonfly 2 in foliage green G10 in VG10 steel a Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189 a Delica 4 in VG10 with brown FRN a Delica 4 in ZDP-189 an Endura 4 in ZDP-189 a Manix 2 LW in Maxamet a Manix 2 LW in S110V and a Manix 2 backlock in S30V. Looking to find a Manix 2 in G10 Blurple with S110V an introvert and if it comes out a Manix 2 backlock in Maxamet.
Calgary on the Bow
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

my actual first 2018 spydie was the lc200n mule, but since i got it as replacement for a knife i bought in 2017 that doesnt count so it will be the pits (this thread made me buy one :) and the PPT sprint
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Flizwit wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:45 pm
Just like oldirty9014, long time lurker and decided this would be a great topic for a first post.

I’m very excited for 2018, my first Spyderco knife purchase is definitely going to be the Techno 2, followed by the Rhino.

After that it’s gets a bit murky, undecided between Smock, Sliverax, Mantra 3, Brouwer, or Paysan.

Definitely going to have to sell some of the collection to fund this year.
welcome!

That Techno will sure be a very nice pick to get you down into the Spydiehole! :cool: