Bit excited

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveho

Bit excited

Post by Daveho »

Well I just sent through payment for a para3, I know this is kinda a love/hate kinda model but this will be a few firsts for me;
-first s30v
-first compression lock
-first Golden made spyderco

Personally on paper it sounds perfect and that blade shape is really appealing in my eyes.
holeshot

Re: Bit excited

Post by holeshot »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:08 am
Well I just sent through payment for a para3, I know this is kinda a love/hate kinda model but this will be a few firsts for me;
-first s30v
-first compression lock
-first Golden made spyderco

Personally on paper it sounds perfect and that blade shape is really appealing in my eyes.
Daveho, I don't think that you will be disappointed. I recently got the CF PM3 and love it. I also have the s30 version and carry it all the time, it's up to the EDC chores and then some. :) Oh yeah, you might want to get an MXG clip for your knife. I think it improves the looks and ergos of the PM 3. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Thanks for the tip about the clip, as carrying a knife here can be an issue being able to get a deep carry clip is always a good thing.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I got the cruwear version and honestly, I wasn’t expecting to love it...I was wrong though. I carry the knife at least as much as my pm2’s and I’m not sure that I don’t actually prefer it to the pm2 for an“edc” knife. The clip placement leaves it riding pretty high in pocket but it doesn’t bother me at all. I have always liked a good bit of knife sticking up to make it easier to grab. I think the lynch or MXG clips are good options if you like your knives to ride lower.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I was fortunate enough to grab this one used, it’s the stock standard g10 and s30v, I’d love to handle a PM2 in the future but I feel it may be a big big for my daily tasks, however there are times a bit more blade would be great
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

The Lynch clips are excellent but never in stock, unlike MXG.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’ll have to shop around for a clip if the ergos aren’t anything special, that said if it’s great on the hand then I’ll just live with the ease of extraction from the pocket.
That said, the clips are a bit costly by the time they are posted to Aus
Last edited by Daveho on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I love my para 3. I did put an mxg clip on it but only becuase i had an extra laying around. My g10 native 5 and sage 5 get more pocket time though. I think it is just a blade shape preference on my part. Para 3 gets far too much hate.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Ric

Post by Ric »

I mainly EDC Para3s.
Perfect action, size and weight.

I now carry my smurf BentoBox.

Was a bit stiff. Used 1 week dry.
Now oiled it and opening is fine.
Closing action needs a bit more time.

@daveho
Which one did you order?
I am sure you will love it!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Ric wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:59 pm
I mainly EDC Para3s.
Perfect action, size and weight.

@daveho
Which one did you order?
I am sure you will love it!
I’ve got a standard black g10 s30v guy on the way, picked him up at a great price used.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I didn't think I would like the small size of the PM3 but the BBS blue version is my fav knife to carry right now. I have an MXG clip and I like the way it kind of works as a palm swell for push cutting. Spyderco really dropped the ball on the PM3. I get some people use lanyards but dang near everyone uses the pocket clip, so why give lanyard hole priority?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

I really didn’t like my P3 until I put a MXG clip on it. It still looks a bit goofy due to where the big lanyard hole is but it is now a great knife.

I prefer my Native and Manix 2 but I do love the compression lock and Camo G10 on the P3.

To each their own, but I find that Spyderco ergonomics are a personal thing more often than with other brands.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Case lynch developed a special clip for the para 3, offset to allow access to the lanyard hole. Just get his email from his site. He responded same day for me, shipped my clip next day. Exponentially more value than mxg clips imo, considering his level of customer service and attention to detail. But I have 2 mxg clips and love them as well. Just not as personal of an experience for the same amount of money.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ric wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:59 pm

The action on my BBS P3 was a bit sluggish at first too. I just backed the pivot screw off a 1/8 of a turn (maybe less) and now it's perfect.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ric

Post by Ric »

Thanks for that tip sharp guy.
I try it as is now but if it not gets better I will try your suggestion.

@Daveho: please tell us how it feels after you received it
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Shall do!
It’s going into an express bag today so I should see it tomorrow.
I have to say, while I prefer a deep carry I don’t theoreticaly mind the shallowness of the para3 as long as it dosnt impinge my range of movement I’m not fussed.
As I see it I’m either at work so having a knife isn’t an issue or I’m out not the world and I can put the knife in my pack or wear a long shirt.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 pm
Shall do!
It’s going into an express bag today so I should see it tomorrow.
I have to say, while I prefer a deep carry I don’t theoreticaly mind the shallowness of the para3 as long as it dosnt impinge my range of movement I’m not fussed.
As I see it I’m either at work so having a knife isn’t an issue or I’m out not the world and I can put the knife in my pack or wear a long shirt.
Hey Dave, I’m of a similar mind on it. Who knows, maybe I’d like it better if it rode a bit deeper but I would have never noticed the “issue” if I hadn’t read people talking about it here. I’ve had no issues with it feeling uncomfortable walking or sitting or anything else so as long as you aren’t concerned with “discreet carry” I suspect you’ll be happy with it the way it is.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Honestly I bet it’s more an intellectual exercise in fault finding Than a practical one but I appreciate what people mean.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

TriggerThumb wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:39 pm
Case lynch developed a special clip for the para 3, offset to allow access to the lanyard hole. Just get his email from his site. He responded same day for me, shipped my clip next day. Exponentially more value than mxg clips imo, considering his level of customer service and attention to detail. But I have 2 mxg clips and love them as well. Just not as personal of an experience for the same amount of money.
You are absolutely right about Casey, I emailed him and he got back to me the next day and my PM 3 clip is on the way. Don't do what I did and assume their not in stock just because they aren't listed on his site. :)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Just got it and so far I have to say I’m very impressed, looking forward to giving it a run tomorrow