“MADE IN USA”

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: “MADE IN USA”

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:38 pm
WARNING: The state of California contains government officials known to the rest of the United States to create asinine laws and regulations.
I have a lot of good friend and acquaintances who live in California and I've enjoyed some of my visits there. But the governmental laws in that state are truly borderline "insane" :rolleyes:

There is one set of laws in California that I've found to be really good>> their strict standards on what you can call "organic" in the food industry are the most strict in the entire USA. But that's a good thing because the "organic" sector of the food market for years has been one of the most deceptive and corrupt. But California did good in that area>> but that's about all I can say good about the state of CA concerning their laws and regulations :(
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Good to see Spyderco once again stepping up to protect the health of minority groups. Freak shows and circuses wouldn't be the same without their sword and knife swallowers :p :D

p.s. I challenge anyone to swallow my 204p Military without giving themselves a Colombian necktie....
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:17 pm
I'm guessing that eating one of our blades could be hazardous to health. We will, however, comply with the demand.

sal
Don't give the regulators any ideas. You want that engraved on every blade you sell?

Teh List was spawned with good intentions, but had many foreseeable if unintended consequences.

Keeping tabs on the list can bring a chuckle, both for what is included as well as NOT included (don't go into the NOT list discussion--avoid expansion).

The two categories of harm are cancer and reproductive health/birth defects.
Thus many prescription meds and OTC meds are included, including some which evidence based medicine clearly demonstrate reduction in cancer risk, yet are PROscribed e.g. during pregnancy. (some have risk to males re: reproductive health, as well as non-pregnant females.)

Some meds on the list are used primarily to TREAT cancer, yet are listed because they may cause cancer >irony<

Some items on the list are normally produced in the body by metabolic pathways. Many listed are hormones produced in the body. (and available exogenously)

How about one which is an *essential* substance ( we must have it to maintain reproductive health, and we get it from exogenous sources). At least they include the excessive intake restriction in the database...

Yes, there was lawsuit abuse, similar to what happened in CA with ADA lawsuit abuse. A few lawyers in particular would send letters of demand of settlement for failure to properly post warnings. Typically $4,000 to $5,000 per "offense," sent to hundreds of business. Shakedowns work(ed), monies paid, Prop 65 warnings rectified. So it goes. (KV)

Picture an outdoor clothing manufacturer with high-tech treatments to the fabric, who ships a few thousand articles without the proper CA-65 warnings on each item. The state fines apply to *each item,* and can you guess potentially how many thousands of dollars per? Yikes. That's when you need to hire a shark for your side. Shark v shark.

(what's the best thing that can happen to the only lawyer in a small town? Have another attorney move there, so they can sue each other ad libitum.)

a priori request for leniency from my lawyer relatives, and the District Judge (ret.)

Shakespeare was wise. Some things never change.

kind regards,
a n.on
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:17 pm
Some of our steels contain nickle. Nickle is one of the elements listed. I'm guessing that eating one of our blades could be hazardous to health. We will, however, comply with the demand.

sal

well, I remember a member whose knife was eaten by a goat

"mrtodd777 wrote:
and a replacement df hawkbill. A goat ate my last one. No lie."

I never asked if the goat survived though :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:27 am
Nickle is not dangerous for goats.
Just wondering, if this member requested from Spyderco free replacement. This must be covered by Spyderco warrantee. :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Goat ate my spydie? :eek:

Dang, I hope the nickel went down okay... :p
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:07 pm
We also have to add a line in our letters with the knives that states that our knives may have nickle in the steel and that nickle can cause cancer. A California law that is mandatory by this summer.

sal
Not gonna lie, I find this pretty hilarious
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:07 pm
We also have to add a line in our letters with the knives that states that our knives may have nickle in the steel and that nickle can cause cancer. A California law that is mandatory by this summer.

sal
Part of me wants to suggest that a few extra, tongue in cheek, warnings get added while you are busy :
Warning : Spydercos may be addictive / habit forming
Made in a factory that might contain "knuts"
Disassembly may lead to internet tantrums
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

bh49 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:04 pm
ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:27 am
Nickle is not dangerous for goats.
Just wondering, if this member requested from Spyderco free replacement. This must be covered by Spyderco warrantee. :D

Maybe, but I bet that the extremely corrosion resistant H1 blade was hard to swallow...or at least digest :spyder:

wonder how "corroded" it came back the other end :o
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
WARNING: The state of California contains government officials known to the rest of the United States to create asinine laws and regulations.
Man ain't that the truth. If I hadn't lived here my whole life and didn't have so many family and friend connections here I would move. It's a tragedy what's happened to California over the last 30 years.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Foghorne

Post by Foghorne »

Evil D wrote:
Knowingly exposing others to HIV is no longer a felony in California
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... 20180SB239
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I like the big city life. I can afford it.

Little warning stickers is spilled milk.

With some effort, I can acquire any firearm I want.

Some want to move out of CA but MANY from the south and midwest and foreigners replace them by the droves. Why.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

FCM415 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:46 am
Some want to move out of CA but MANY from the south and midwest and foreigners replace them by the droves. Why.
Jobs.

The food is pretty good too.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:10 am
FCM415 wrote:
Jobs.

Yeah, where else can you make $150 k per year and be considered just above the poverty line?
lunde

Post by lunde »

Weather, too, especially here in Silicon Valley.
MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:10 am
FCM415 wrote:
Jobs.

bambam

Post by bambam »

Isn’t it a shame we get more laws and some people have less common sense.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:06 pm
Sometimes I wonder why I moved from Wisconsin to California. But only sometimes.
Oh yeah! I moved from Omaha to SF over thirty years ago and have never regretted it. Did I mention NORCAL is a motorcycle Mecca. :)
Last edited by holeshot on Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yep. More jobs. Better food and wider variety of it. Wine is good and with BART, busses and bikes you don’t need a car.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

holeshot wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:40 pm
cabfrank wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:06 pm
Sometimes I wonder why I moved from Wisconsin to California. But only sometimes.
Oh yeah! I moved from Omaha to SF over thirty years ago and have never regretted it. Did I mention NORCAL is a motorcycle Mecca? :)
Shhhh.

It’s not that good. People should stay where they are. California sucks. It’s terrible here. Not enough water to even take a shower. ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I got one of those CA cancer warnings back in 2014, on the box of a new Buck 301. I emailed them about it, and they said it was just something they were legally required to state.

Lots of people in other states like to dump on CA, but they forget that probably the majority of US-born Californians came from other states...including their own. I'm one of the few Californians I know who were actually born here, I've been to many other states, and have no plans to move out of CA. There ARE other cities in other states with worse knife laws than anyplace I know of here.

Jim