Boye Detent, a solution in search of a problem?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
holeshot

Boye Detent, a solution in search of a problem?

Post by holeshot »

I recently was lucky enough to find and purchase a NIB Calypso sprint run. One of the the first things I noticed was that it didn't have the Boye detent. I find that it is easier to close than my other Spydercos with the detent. Now I understand that the Boye detent was added as a safety measure to prevent accidental closure when in use. Have any of you that have been using knives without the detent ever experienced accidental closure when in use? I tried to get to happen with the Calypso but couldn't. I also believe that the new Police 4 does not have the detent. So, I guess I'm asking why create a solution if there's not a problem. :)
Last edited by holeshot on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
SG89

Re: Boyd Detent, a solution in search of a problem?

Post by SG89 »

to me boye dent makes them slightly easier to unlock when closing them. I've never had a backlock accidentally close while in use.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Only time I ever had a back lock close was while stabbing with a knife, I squeezed the handle too tight and pressed the lock enough that the blade closed on my finger during the next stab. That was on an old Buck 110 knock off which was a true BACK lock and not the mid lock style that Spyderco uses. I'm sure it's possible to do the same but I wouldn't know because I stopped stabbing things with knives after that incident. I still have the scar today, a good 30 years later.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like the dent because it makes it easier for my thumb to find and press press down on the lock release when closing a knife one handed without looking at it.
:unicorn
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To me, the worst part is that there's no rhyme or reason to its application. It almost seem like Spyderco flips a coin to decide which models get blessed (or cursed) with a Boye Dent, and which ones are spared having their lockbars disfigured. If it's for safety in a defensive use situation, why didn't the original Manix or any of the earlier versions of the Chinook have it, while models with minimal defensive potential like the Ladybug and Kopa have it.

Vivi wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:26 am
I like the dent because it makes it easier for my thumb to find and press press down on the lock release when closing a knife one handed without looking at it.

I have reduced feeling in my fingers, and yet I the lock well cutout in the handle has always been sufficient tactile clue as to where I need to press down.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've never had any issues (positive or negative) with it. Honestly,I don't care much.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Why is it easier without the dent?
kvdo

Re: Boye Detent, a solution in search of a problem?

Post by kvdo »

I find that knives with the Boye dent make unlocking "softer" on my thumb. Maybe something about the increased surface area to contact my thumb?

My KC exclusive Pakkawood Delica and Baby Horn Sprint have very similar (and uncomfortably high) lockbar tensions, but the Delica has a Boye dent and is less harsh on my thumb.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

kvdo wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 am
I find that knives with the Boye dent make unlocking "softer" on my thumb. Maybe something about the increased surface area to contact my thumb?

My KC exclusive Pakkawood Delica and Baby Horn Sprint have very similar (and uncomfortably high) lockbar tensions, but the Delica has a Boye dent and is less harsh on my thumb.
It is possible that the Delica just has a lock bar return spring that is not as stiff as the other two or the design of the component placements contributes to the stiffness you are feeling.

I’ve not noticed any difference, positive or negative, regarding the dent. Pretty much superfluous in my opinion.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
sal

Post by sal »

It has more to do with the shape and size of the cut-out for the lock release. when the cut-out is long, the fleshy pat of some hands can depress the lock.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Here's what I find, there is a security compromise between the two and in both cases.

If you don't have the Boye dent, you have to press the lock bar down much further, almost bottomed out to release the lock.

If you DO have the Boye dent, the end spot might be about the same, but there is about half of the travel distance for the Boye dent to reach the bottomed out position for the lock to release.

I think both options operate well and both seem safe. Maybe I'm just used to the Boye dent, but I feel like those close a little easier.

Same as David, I've only ever had a lock back accidentally release was with another brand and I was squeezing and twisting the knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I tend to like them, but it's not something I have strong feelings about.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I like Boye dents myself. Chaparral looks weird without it
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:26 am
This is the reason I like it too.
plow_2

Post by plow_2 »

I love the boyw dent. My caly 3's are my favorite knives hands down and I find that the detent allows my thumb to "fall" into the perfect position to unlock without looking at the knife. It creates consistency. I have other lock backs without one and they are fine and yes I can unlock those without looking just fine, but the detent is more comfortable.
sal

Post by sal »

Our current leaning is to try to shape the cut out so the dent is not necessary.

sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:10 am
Our current leaning is to try to shape the cut out so the dent is nit necessary.

sal
Excellent, I really like my Police4 and Caylipso without the dent, for me I feel it gives me more leverage. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:10 am
Our current leaning is to try to shape the cut out so the dent is not necessary.

sal
I support that idea. I’ve always felt that the dent was not going to deter the knife from unlocking if that much force were to be placed on the lock bar. However, I do think with some handle designs the dent may serve to help locate the lock bar by feel. The knives I have had with the lock bar had the handle designed well enough that the dent was superfluous for me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
sal

Post by sal »

It's not about how hard is pressed, it's about the fleshy part of the hand pressing the lock bar when the knife is squeezed.
whether the lock is actually depressed enough to unlock is based on the size of the available leverage arm, the curve of the handle and the shape of the cut-out.

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I'd still like to see the roller detent come into action. At least detent ramps on production knives. I know this thread is talking about the boye dent.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.