So I bought my first Cold Steel knife.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SharpieB

Re: So I bought my first Cold Steel knife.

Post by SharpieB »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:07 am
Doc, Peacent, Vivi, and other fellow Cold Steel knife users: What do you think of the "Grivory" handle material that they use? Is this another variation of Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon and how do you like its durability and feel? They also tend to use Kraton in some of their handles and also a Kraton overlay with a FRN or harder polymer underneath.
Personally, I much prefer the “grivory” on my Rajah III over the scales of my Griptilian and all of my FRN/FRCP Spydercos. It feels “less cheap” if that makes any sense. Also feels much more solid.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:07 am
Doc, Peacent, Vivi, and other fellow Cold Steel knife users: What do you think of the "Grivory" handle material that they use? Is this another variation of Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon and how do you like its durability and feel? They also tend to use Kraton in some of their handles and also a Kraton overlay with a FRN or harder polymer underneath.

I am also very fond of grivory and put it on par with FRN for most of my uses and needs.
Truth is that if it's polished it can be a bit slippery (just like un-textured G10 or FRN would be) but with added grip patterns and contouring it's comfortable, safe, strong and won't give a *** about the elements or dropping to the floor

my three favorite materials for modern knives: G10, FRN, Grivory

I don't know if it's easy to make colored grivory but haven't seen much of it.

In its toughness I'd put it right next to Cold Steel's Polypropylene handles, if it falls to the hard floor or you hit a rock with it it barely scratches or peels a bit. I also had my Rajah II under the summer sun for hours and it was not uncomfortable to grab afterwards

Also feels less flexible than FRN, less bendable, but that might be the thickness of the Cold Steel's scales. I wouldn't mind if a FRN knife came with it instead
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Cold Steel Bowie Machete with contoured & fuzzy finished handle.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

I just purchased my first Cold Steel knife the latest version of the Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife. Should have in in a week or so.
Update: I have had the Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife for over a week now the edge was hard to get sharp at first so I did three sharpenings and took off some steel then it got better, not going to win any prizes for edge retention but it gets very sharp very easily and very quickly now and it costs very little. Over all with its great sheath and iconic design it represents VERY good value.
Last edited by mjdragonfly on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calgary on the Bow
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

@ThePeacent,

IIRC, you have both Resilience and CS Broken Skull. Can you share comparison pictures, as they should be similar size (or not?)
Chris :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

What do you Cold Steel consumers/users think of the announcement about CTS-BD1 being replaced with AUS-10?
Seems like they are dropping back and punting in the face of a production stand still.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've never tried AUS10, so I'd reserve judgement until I did. I really like CTSBD1 though, that was part of the reason I bought a couple voyagers.
:unicorn
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:27 pm
What do you Cold Steel consumers/users think of the announcement about CTS-BD1 being replaced with AUS-10?
Seems like they are dropping back and punting in the face of a production stand still.

I also have zero experience with AUS-10, but I think it is comparable to 440C and that one I've had in a few blades, and have been satisfied with it. :o

I prefered BD1 to AUS8 (especially in corrosion resistance, and the ease of taking a keen, sharp edge as opposed to the "gummier" :confused: and easier to roll AUS8 from CS) and the same knives didn't pit or stain with the CTS steel but did with the older one.

Also regarding CTS-XHP, I really like it and felt it was a strong improvement, and although I have no experience whatsoever with S35VN it seems that for most it's a step back from CTS-XHP, and in the Internet many feel disappointed
But I'll wait to judge,

and worth mentioning that the DLC coating (replacing the old model's cheap paint) is as good as an improvement as the steel upgrade was, and hopefully the DLC coating will remain on future blades. :cool:

they are also introducing 8Cr13MoV in their cheaper line, on many models (Luzon, Bush Ranger, etc.) which is OK to me a the price has accordingly decreased for those :rolleyes:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

anagarika wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:32 am
@ThePeacent,

IIRC, you have both Resilience and CS Broken Skull. Can you share comparison pictures, as they should be similar size (or not?)

here you go (Warning: lots of pics ;) )

anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:39 am
anagarika wrote:
@ThePeacent,

Thanks. Appreciate that! :cool:
What colors do you have? Looks like Tan & OD?
I’m trying to decide if having the CS BS is sufficient to cover my 4” plus need. Gave away my Resilience sometime ago, wondering if I need to pick up another. Perhaps not, bigger than BS, I have Voyager XL in Clip Point & Tanto.
Triad Lock is addictive ;).
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

anagarika wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:07 am
ThePeacent wrote:
anagarika wrote:
@ThePeacent,

I’m trying to decide if having the CS BS is sufficient to cover my 4” plus need. Gave away my Resilience sometime ago, wondering if I need to pick up another. Perhaps not, bigger than BS, I have Voyager XL in Clip Point & Tanto.

I have only the Grey (White? :confused: ) BS left, I had a green one that I gave away to a friend
It's really thin compared to most other 4" folders, Cold Steel or not. And feels strong enough.

If you liked the Resilience I'd get another at US prices, I paid $70+ shipping locally for it and it was my first Spydie. This width and length of blade are rare to find, especially at that price point :rolleyes:
BS will last long from what I've seen and read, but mine is quite unused for various reasons
The DLC is really great and the knife carries so thin and light. :cool:

the XLs are a league on their own and I think no other company even gets close to that category to compete :D

anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:55 am
anagarika wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:07 am
ThePeacent wrote:
anagarika wrote:
@ThePeacent,

I have only the Grey (White? :confused: ) BS left, I had a green one that I gave away to a friend
It's really thin compared to most other 4" folders, Cold Steel or not. And feels strong enough.

If you liked the Resilience I'd get another at US prices, I paid $70+ shipping locally for it and it was my first Spydie. This width and length of blade are rare to find, especially at that price point :rolleyes:
BS will last long from what I've seen and read, but mine is quite unused for various reasons
The DLC is really great and the knife carries so thin and light. :cool:

the XLs are a league on their own and I think no other company even gets close to that category to compete :D
Hey, it was my first Spydie too! :spyder:
Since this thread is about CS, if you don’t mind, why the BS doesn’t get much use?
I’m getting acquainted with it and the steel, to see if it lives up to the reputation of easy to sharpen & touches up like VG10 but holds the fresh sharpened edge longer. Just because I shave with my knives. Also the DLC and linerless construction helps in corrosion prevention (no place for sweat or water to hide between scale & liners).
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

anagarika wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:50 pm

Hey, it was my first Spydie too! :spyder:
Since this thread is about CS, if you don’t mind, why the BS doesn’t get much use?
I’m getting acquainted with it and the steel, to see if it lives up to the reputation of easy to sharpen & touches up like VG10 but holds the fresh sharpened edge longer. Just because I shave with my knives. Also the DLC and linerless construction helps in corrosion prevention (no place for sweat or water to hide between scale & liners).

Truth is that I don't use it because I prefer the Pacific Salt, as simple as that. :p
When I carry a Cold Steel is either because of the Thumb Plate (ala Wave opener) and because I like the beefy handles for the times I have to use a lock as strong as the TriAd.

When I push or put a lot of pressure (like my bodyweight) on a folder I want it to have beefy, thick and contoured handles to avoid that it could rotate or spin in my hand, and for comfort. ;)
So safety and comfort prevent me from using the thin, slender handles on the Broken Skull, and for all other normal cutting and everyday things I have a Pacific which is also thin, but added benefit of rust proof. :rolleyes:

I wanted to try out the DLC too and the BS was my first DLC'd knife, but I've had a few with that coating afterwards and it definitely adds corrosion resistance in my experience :cool: carrying the folders on Summer, among hoses and irrigation systems and when sweating on them

I could see the BS acting as a PE Pacific with upgraded edge retention though

hopefully that answered your question :spyder:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:56 am

Truth is that I don't use it because I prefer the Pacific Salt, as simple as that. :p
hopefully that answered your question :spyder:
Thanks! I admit BS is not most ergonomic for hard work.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

clovehitch wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:30 pm

Aside from the 4-max, their fit and finish isn't exactly on par with that of spyderco. But I really do appreciate the value and durability they exhibit for a work knife.

I agree, but considering how Lynn markets his knives that doesn't seem to be a preoccupation for most of its users, or something their customers seek when buying a TriAd folder :rolleyes:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Having had my CS BS for couple of weeks, it’s really good tools. Solid with light & slim carry footprints.

Having said that I’d say Endura is a more refined knife. It feels better in hand and although the lockback isn’t as strong as Triad, it works well & smooth, and likely strong enough (MBC rated anyway).
A knife is more than just steel+HT (XHP better than VG10), some prefer G10 over FRN, and strength of lock. As total package, Endura is a better EDC, though as tool, BS might be more robust.

Can’t help but to compare as they are in similar size/weight/price category. I enjoy both for what they are. :cool:

GB1 beats them both though, despite being liner lock. At least it doesn’t have the release cutout. ;)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Peacent and Vivi and others here: Another Cold Steel option are the Counter Point Folders. Have you seen the images and read the descriptions of these? These were recently updated with new stainless steel and also that handle material but with better texturing added.

Here is from the Cold Steel website:

http://www.coldsteel.com/counter-point1-10a.html

Also, there is something confusing to me, perhaps someone here can explain?

Cold Steel claims they use AUS-8 stainless steel but now I am seeing them use the term AUS-10A stainless steel. Are these typographical errors or is there an actual new stainless steel alloy called Aus-10A?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:22 pm
Peacent and Vivi and others here: Another Cold Steel option are the Counter Point Folders. Have you seen the images and read the descriptions of these? These were recently updated with new stainless steel and also that handle material but with better texturing added.

Here is from the Cold Steel website:

http://www.coldsteel.com/counter-point1-10a.html

Also, there is something confusing to me, perhaps someone here can explain?

Cold Steel claims they use AUS-8 stainless steel but now I am seeing them use the term AUS-10A stainless steel. Are these typographical errors or is there an actual new stainless steel alloy called Aus-10A?
AUS-10 is not new, Spyderco has used it before.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

On the BF CS subforum, it was discussed that CS moving into AUS10 from CTS BD1, previously using AUS8 (like Voyager series). It seems a trend which CS is moving from CTS steel, because similarly they also change CTS-XHP to S35VN too. Anyone know if Carpenter is having issue producing them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I also like the look and function of the Cold Steel Mini Tac Series. The Tanto looks amazingly-well-made.