Are there two hand opening locking knives by Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Are there two hand opening locking knives by Spyderco?

Post by wrdwrght »

Vivi wrote:
vilePossum wrote:Funny enough it is legal to carry a ~4"blade length fixed blade in most places.
It really is amazing to me how I've heard Canadians and Germans talk about giving up knife collecting altogether instead of carrying a small fixed blade. Like one handed folders are the only thing worth carrying and an Izula + Victorinox Camper is a worthless EDC combo...
The Izula just might be the perfect EDC. Great ergos, super-simple deployment regardless of carry-option, no moving parts to fail, nicely heat-treated 1095, acceptable size pretty much everywhere.

But I've hardly ever pocketed mine, given my Spydie inventory. Besides, you can't really fidget with a fixed blade (although I try my best).

Custom Canada's overreach will see me head to Toronto in the next month or so (for a family visit) with my Izula-II and a SAK (Handyman). This overreach pisses me off big-time, but the combo is bound to answer all my needs. Well, except for the ones of my raccoon hands...

Come to think on it, this combo will be my answer to Europe's jurisdictional challenges, if ever my wife and I check in our bags.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

SpyDK or Pingo.

Depends on the Polizei, I guess.
NicoColt1911

Post by NicoColt1911 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Have you looked at the Spydk or Roadie?
I own a roadie. The Spydk is nice as well but it is discontinued and stupidly expensive here AFAIK.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

NicoColt1911 wrote: The Spydk is nice as well but it is discontinued and stupidly expensive here AFAIK.
Looks like there is one on Amazon.de for 85 euro, not too bad
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
vivi

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Vivi wrote:
vilePossum wrote:Funny enough it is legal to carry a ~4"blade length fixed blade in most places.
It really is amazing to me how I've heard Canadians and Germans talk about giving up knife collecting altogether instead of carrying a small fixed blade. Like one handed folders are the only thing worth carrying and an Izula + Victorinox Camper is a worthless EDC combo...
The Izula just might be the perfect EDC. Great ergos, super-simple deployment regardless of carry-option, no moving parts to fail, nicely heat-treated 1095, acceptable size pretty much everywhere.

But I've hardly ever pocketed mine, given my Spydie inventory. Besides, you can't really fidget with a fixed blade (although I try my best).

Custom Canada's overreach will see me head to Toronto in the next month or so (for a family visit) with my Izula-II and a SAK (Handyman). This overreach pisses me off big-time, but the combo is bound to answer all my needs. Well, except for the ones of my raccoon hands...

Come to think on it, this combo will be my answer to Europe's jurisdictional challenges, if ever my wife and I check in our bags.
FB + Multi is the way to go IMO. I'll use the FB if I need quick access to my tool, if I'm cutting something that will be a pain to clean out of a folder, am doing heavy duty cutting, or prying / batoning. The multitool is great for looking harmless when using the blades, and of course the various tools offer excellent utility.

These days the only time I carry folders is when I'm wearing basketball shorts, but whenever I get around to putting a G clip back on my swick that will change :)

I plan to order an Izula 2 this Spring. Had the original and loved everything about it, except the handle was a bit short for my hulk hands. I think the 2 will be perfect for me.
:unicorn
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

The lovely § 42a I WaffG :D

I recommend you Spyderco Titan Worker Green, two-tone finish blade in Crucible 440C, thick titanium liners, made in Taichung Solingen Earth :D

FX sniper

Post by FX sniper »

d
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Just a crazed idea from a psychopath who hasn't had any coffee yet today: what if you got either a Tatanka or a Szabo Folder, removed / plugged the hole?

I don't think that I could open either of those knives with one hand: both are such strong closers that even using the Spydie hole it can be difficult to open them one-handed.

I realize that this is limited in terms of models, but...it's something.
ferider

Post by ferider »

RLDubbya wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:54 am
Just a crazed idea from a psychopath who hasn't had any coffee yet today: what if you got either a Tatanka or a Szabo Folder, removed / plugged the hole?

I don't think that I could open either of those knives with one hand: both are such strong closers that even using the Spydie hole it can be difficult to open them one-handed.

I realize that this is limited in terms of models, but...it's something.
Just a note that I think there is also an 8cm blade length limitation in Germany, independent of the opening mechanism.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

ferider wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Just a note that I think there is also an 8cm blade length limitation in Germany, independent of the opening mechanism.
Geez, 8cm? Isn't that like 1/4"?
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

ferider wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 pm
8cm?! Doesn't that make Boker Anso 67 (3.5", or 8.4cm) illegal even if it is nail nick/two-handed opening?
I can only hope that not every police officer carries a ruler of any sort on person :eek:
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Buck also makes the Ranger 112 (7.62 cm) in S30V and Micarta, or 5160 (both available at copperandclad.com); D2 (skblades.com). I offer this because of any blade length restrictions.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 am
Buck also makes the Ranger 112 (7.62 cm) in S30V and Micarta, or 5160 (both available at copperandclad.com); D2 (skblades.com). I offer this because of any blade length restrictions.
Yup. Now I really start to understand Boker's strategies in their folder department -- so many of them are slip joint, or nick nail, or both.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

nail nick or not, OHO or not, most countries have restrictive blade lengths in the same ballpark,

UK is 7.62cm (3 in) max for an EDC
Germany is 8cm (3.15 in) max same as Hungary,
Spain is 11cm (4.3 in) max
Denmark has forbidden any locking knives on your person in public spaces, like Finland or France
Japan has a 6cm (2.36 in) max blade length limit

add to that, the fact that most countries differentiate between locking/slipjoint, blade style or edges (double or single), automatics, assisted, OHO opening or two handed and many other features, as well as intention, context of carry and age among other factors. :eek:

Indeed, every country's laws is a complex thing to learn and understand :o
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

Anyone remember the original Denmark PK? I still have mine and it's a fantastic knife. I believe the blade is just under 2.75 inches, and the tiny little hole makes OHO impossible. I wish Spyderco would bring this knife back. It just seems like this model solved a lot of the issues we hear on this forum regarding countries and jurisdictions that aren't knife friendly.

On the surface, I would think it would be easy to accomplish this. Just make a run of Delicas and UKPK knives that have tiny blade holes like the DKPK had instead of the standard one. The PITS and Squeak models would be really nice in this configuration too.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think that a Pingo with a clip point would be the right thing and it would be a nice looking knife, to boot. It would be a Jazz special.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
NicoColt1911

Post by NicoColt1911 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:10 am
nail nick or not, OHO or not, most countries have restrictive blade lengths in the same ballpark,

[...]
Germany is 8cm (3.15 in) max same as Hungary,
[...]
Denmark has forbidden any locking knives on your person in public spaces, like Finland or France
[...]
Those two are wrong.

1. Germany only has two restrictions when it comes to length:

a) You are not allowed to carry fixed blades longer than 12cm.
b) You are not allowed to own folding switchblades with a blade longer than 8.5cm.

Other than that there are no legal restrictions regarding length and only one more length related rule:
OTF and Balisong knives are illegal to own in Germany because they are regarded as weapons. However, when the blade is shorter than 4.1cm in length and 1cm in width they aren't weapons to begin with and thus can be owned legally.

2. Denmark changed their law recently. You can carry one hand opening knives and locking knives but you require a "legal (and very good) reason" to carry a knife.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Prior to July 1. 2016 Danes could carry/EDC what amounted to a small non-locking THO folder (think SAK).

OHO locking folders were illegal.

As per July 1. 2016 locking OHO folders became legal to own but no folder (or any knife for that matter) can be carried without a valid reason (as NicoColt1911 mentioned above).

In effect this means (that the knife law became even more horrible and) that there is no day to day carry of a small knife - not even a gentlemans nail cleaner.

One can go to the woods, whittle a stick and go straight home.

Activities like hunting, the Scouts etc are considered valid reasons for knife carry.

But always go straight home or leave the knife in the car.

Any detour with a knife on display or hidden and you got problems, if caught doing so.

Walk through town, go shopping, sit at a cafe with a knife clipped to a pocket - see above.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Regarding the Danish Law, if you have, say, a Spyderco Pacific Salt on your person, and you have a valid fishing license, would that be considered reasonable or would you have to actually prove you were just actively in the act of fishing or on the way to that?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi NicoColt, FC Sniper,

Welcome to our forum.

I spent a fair amount of time on the German knife forum trying to come up with a THO locking folder. We could not come up with anything that the forumites there were satisfied with.

1. Any locking knife can be "Spydie dropped" if the blade is exposed enough to grasp with the thumb and index finger.
2. If there is any portion of the blade protruding from the handle enough to get a thumb on, one can learn to one hand open the knife (as I did when I was young with a Buck 110). So plugging the hole does not work.
3. We made a number of knives with very small holes and customers were still able to get enough purchase on the blade to open them with one hand.
4. The models that I have seen that were "approved" by the government, I can open with one hand one way or another.

We would be happy to design and build knife for the German market if we can get a way that really works and the German market would want it. The only thing that I could come up with for the German market was a "Roadie" style model a thin light blade with none of the blade above the handle when closed and only the double dent was exposed at the tip. This along with a very stiff lock-back could work, but the German knife buyers all didn't like the look and I eventually abandoned the project. We can work on a design here if you like, but so far, none of the options suggested would work. A locking knife, by its very nature has less friction/pressure on the blade to keep it closed against: Spydie drops, inertia opening or thumb opening.

How would you accomplish the task?

sal

https://www.messerforum.net/showthread. ... man-market