Native 5 S90v or Sage 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
busybaileymaille

Native 5 S90v or Sage 5?

Post by busybaileymaille »

I was very responsible last year and did not buy a knife. Now that my taxes are filed and I'm waiting on the refund I've been shopping around for my reward. I've got it narrowed down to two choices (for the most part). I've already got a stainless dragonfly and a nice Case knife for dressy occasions, and a Kershaw Junk Yard Dog II and Leatherman Wave for harder use purposes. Any insight?
busybaileymaille

Re: Native 5 S90v or Sage 5?

Forgot to mention. I'm trying to keep this in the $150 range. I could probably go as high as $200 but it would need to be something extra special.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

KC native5. IMHO currently the best value in Native family. Grab one before they gone. $139.99 shipped.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

bh49 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 am
KC native5. IMHO currently the best value in Native family. Grab one before they gone. $139.99 shipped.
What he said
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Tough call. I have more Native5s than I can count, but I prefer the way the Sage series carries discretely with a deep carry clip.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I agree with abbazaba, it's a tough call. I like the Sage series but I also have several Native 5s. They're all good! I do have to agree with the others that the KC linerless Native 5 is hard to beat for the price. I've been trying to resist that one myself.

Good luck with your decision!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Let me be a terrible enabler and suggest the fluted CF native 5 :D My favorite.

The smooth green linerless N5 also looks like a winner. The s110v if you want liners. For value the I think there's some bright orange exclusives out there in s90v for pretty cheap.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm
KC linerless Native 5 is hard to beat for the price. I've been trying to resist that one myself.
Do not resist. Just relax and enjoy your new dark green KC exclusive native 5. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:45 pm
Let me be a terrible enabler and suggest the fluted CF native 5 :D My favorite.
My favorite as well and IMHO the best Native ever.
Still it is over OPS budget.

busybaileymaille

I think at this point I'm set on the Native 5, I've been doing some reading and like what I hear. Really it will come down to when the tax man gives my money back. I don't have experience with the high grade steels other than CPM-D2 on the JYD, how would that compare to S30v, S90v, and S110v? Because someone mentioned the blurple and now I'm looking at that too...
Tims

Post by Tims »

I've had my Cutlery Shoppe orange s90v Native for a few weeks now and it has me looking at my dozens of other edc sized knives, wondering why I keep them around.
You have a few decisions to make
S90v vs s30v - what do you require of a blade steel and have you got the gear to sharpen it?

Frn or CF/g10 - Both offer similar qualities in terms of function. I prefer frn for durability, feel and colour options.

Lock- Midlock - I value a strong detent, do you? The native 5 lock is a great example of a midlock done well.

Compression Lock- Flickable, smooth and offers a novelty factor perhaps missing in a midlock but for me, not a strong enough detent.

Intended use- What will be the knives primary function? Office, outdoors, working on your car etc. I value the rugged simplicity of the linerless frn native. I live near the ocean and as a result my pockets always have some small trace of sand in them. Carrying tip up/pivot down means sandy pivots are a reality. A simple blast under the tap and I'm good to go.

A few things to consider to help you on your way but do realise you will likely end up with both. So the question becomes, which one do you want NOW!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

KnifeCenter exclusive Native5 with premium S90V and linerless smooth Forest Green G-10 for $139.95 shipped. It's very light, great steel and great value.

A Native5 S35VN with black G-10 actually costs more at $146.22 shipped.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
PStone

Post by PStone »

clovehitch wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
I'd go with the Native 5 in Maxamet if you don't mind FRN
+1

I have 4 native5s. KC S90V, maxamet, titanium s35vn, and fluted carbon S90V. And the FRN finds its way into my pocket most often.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DirtMcGirt wrote: I have 4 native5s. KC S90V, maxamet, titanium s35vn, and fluted carbon S90V. And the FRN finds its way into my pocket most often.
Funny how that works! I currently have 6 Native 5s and the one I carry/use most is the basic black S35VN LW that I bought used off the Exchange. It's not because I'm babying the others either, they've all been used. There are things I really like about that particular LW. The blade finish, weight, S35VN, how smooth it is, the way the blade drops when I push the lock bar, etc.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

I prefer the Sage 5 to any of the Native 5's I have from and EDC standpoint. Sure the KC Native 5 is "cooler" (to me) as is the CS orange Native 5, and both have "better" steel than the Sage 5

Yet the compression lock, blade shape and fit in the hand of the Sage 5 wins for me
Strider

Post by Strider »

I have both knives. I think the KC native 5 is the better value. I love the smooth G10. Rough isn't needed with such great ergonomics. it was on sale recently, not sure if it still is. I actually returned the sage 5 and re-bought it off the knife exchange for a price that I felt was much more appropriate.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:51 pm
I prefer the Sage 5 to any of the Native 5's I have from and EDC standpoint. Sure the KC Native 5 is "cooler" (to me) as is the CS orange Native 5, and both have "better" steel than the Sage 5

Yet the compression lock, blade shape and fit in the hand of the Sage 5 wins for me
I have Sage's 1-4. I love them all. Great knife. I will pick up a 5 when the time is right.

I'm new to the Natives. I recently bought the green KC exclusive. I really liked it and I can see why the Native is a popular model for Spyderco. I think I liked the Native because it felt similar to the Sage knives I own. I went ahead and ordered the CS Orange Native as well. Also, a cool knife.

I don't think you can go wrong with either a Sage or a Native. My suggestion would be to get both and spend some time with each to figure out which one you bond with more. If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably spring for the green native as that is an exclusive and will be hard to get once they sell out. It is a good knife and the price was reasonable.
busybaileymaille

This is it! Tax money came in the dark of night while I slept. Going to run by the local store when I get off work and see if they have what I want or can maybe order it. I'm fairly certain they have a Native which I want to try for fit in hand. Also want to check out the compression lock on what will likely be a PM2 since they won't have a sage... I'll let you all know how it goes. Thank you for your input, I can't say you made it easier to decide but you gave me plenty to consider. Pics when it happens.
lunde

Post by lunde »

I appreciate businesses like KC that offer point-based awards that can be used as discounts for future orders, especially when it makes a special low price even lower: $129.95 shipped for an excellent Native5 specimen. I love my orange-handled CS exclusives, but the KC one is simply too good to pass up.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Busybaileymaille,

Welcome to our forum.

sal