Lum Tanto non sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vernonremington

Lum Tanto non sprint?

Post by vernonremington »

I fairly new to the forum, but in the last few years have become a loyal Spyderco customer. I’ve bought and sold a lot of knives and Spyderco is hands down my favorite brand.

The Lum Tanto BladeHQ has shown me there’s high demand for a Lum Tanto. I bought one just for the design and blade, not so much the sprint run, steel, or jade g10.

Sal, and other more established members, how far off base would it be to ask for a regular production Lum Tanto? My suggestion would be a compression lock with S30V and black g10.

I think this would be a successful model.
sal

Re: Lum Tanto non sprint?

Post by sal »

Hi Vernon,

Spyderco Tantos have shown to have limited appeal in the general market. I don't think the market would sustain a regular production. That's why we make Sprints. :o

sal
vernonremington

Thanks for the fast reply Sal. That’s strange to hear. I always thought they would be a big seller like Emerson’s CQC7.

Just wishful thinking then....

Glad I got my sprint run version.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 pm
Hi Vernon,

Spyderco Tantos have shown to have limited appeal in the general market. I don't think the market would sustain a regular production. That's why we make Sprints. :o

sal
Okay Sal, how about a Calypso sprint? I have to admit I just purchased the last sprint run Calypso (paid a premium) and I am JAZZED! This in MHO is the perfect Spyderco. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

I'm also surprised there isn't demand for tantos. I deeply desire one with a compression lock. The natural g10 doesn't appeal to me, nor does the liner lock.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 pm
Hi Vernon,

sal

Sal, I’m curious to hear your thoughts regarding the bladehq 16 minute sell out of the Lum Tanto. I can understand not producing multiple tantos in Spyderco’s line up, but how about just one? Spyderco has catered to small groups before. Surely there is room for a single tanto representative for those that like them? I truly thing a black g10 vg10 or S30V would sell well.

If not production, can we still get a sprint of the Lum tanto? Living in Canada I didn’t want to risk ordering the bladehq knife, but a sprint could be brought into Canada by one of our dealers. I know you’re not keen after people’s response to the hap40 version...

It’s just such a beautiful design...

Thanks
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

TriggerThumb wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:33 pm
I'm also surprised there isn't demand for tantos. I deeply desire one with a compression lock. The natural g10 doesn't appeal to me, nor does the liner lock.

Serious question:

What is the appeal in the tanto design?

When I look I see an awkward design that has corner snag built into the cutting edge and it will also be an aggravation to sharpen. Please enlighten me.

David
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Canazes9 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:38 pm
TriggerThumb wrote:

Serious question:

When I look I see an awkward design that has corner snag built into the cutting edge and it will also be an aggravation to sharpen. Please enlighten me.

David
Strength in the point, scraping abilities, cultural heritage. I understand your skepticism, nonetheless they seem to prove useful to me. And as a fan of bushido, they strike a personal interest as well, paying tribute to the source and heritage of my passion for edged tools.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
sal

Post by sal »

The
"Americanized Tanto" was designed by Bob Lum and made popular by Cold Steel. A true Tanto has a different blade shape. Bob designed his Tanto as a liner lock so it wouldn't be a Bob Lum if we redesigned it.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Canazes9 wrote:
TriggerThumb wrote:

Serious question:

David

I like the appearance because it reminds me of katanas and tantos from historical Japan, but I do not like using them compared to a typical drop point.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

TriggerThumb wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:55 pm
Canazes9 wrote:
TriggerThumb wrote:

Serious question:

David
Strength in the point, scraping abilities, cultural heritage. I understand your skepticism, nonetheless they seem to prove useful to me. And as a fan of bushido, they strike a personal interest as well, paying tribute to the source and heritage of my passion for edged tools.
It's not really skepticism. I'm sure the knife cuts and it definitely looks cool. Whenever I ask about it's advantages over a more conventional design all I usually get is it "looks cool". I've spent a lot more for a lot less, so I get it, just not translating into a buy for me. Just trying to see if I'm missing something - a sudden "aha" moment where I realize I didn't understand....

That's cool that there isn't that aha moment for me, every design is not for everybody. Just when I see proponents of a design so passionate about it, it makes me want to dig deeper, see what I may be missing.

David
vernonremington

Canazes9 wrote:
TriggerThumb wrote:

Serious question:

David
For me it’s piecing ability. Someimtes you just have to stab or pry things (I know, I know, I shouldn’t use my knife as a pry tool). With a clip point or something like a PM2, I’m a little more cautious than I am with one of my Emerson’s.

I think a Tanto would be successful in Spyderco’s lineup in my opinion.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

The question about the appeal of this type of tanto design comes up periodically and creates some interesting reading (usually the same range of answers). A little search would save reinventing the threads (check out BF, General, for example). I think that the market indicates this is a limited appeal design, no matter what specific applications a fan can point to. I like them and can make a case, still carry a Mili or PM2 over all other choices I have. I am glad Spyderco/BHQ gave us another rendition of the folder and I still want another rendition of the fixed blade too, but I do think it is probably difficult to make a business case for it.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Not being a smartass but Tanto had their day 5-10 years ago when the knife world was flooded with the style. Most makers got to a stage where they found they just stopped selling.
Frequently saw all other blade shapes sell out on popular makes and tanto,s sat and were near sold at cost.
Just a observation from a long time collecting
Remember getting one of the first ever knives Brous made. The silent soldiers Tanto think it was a run of only 50 IIRC . :D :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As far as a Sprint Run >> I do believe that if you took the fixed blade LUM Tanto and made a smaller version in a size similar to the STREETBEAT model I bet that would get some immediate attention. And I bet that a smaller Lum Tanto fixed blade would have some interesting utility uses as well. And as thick as the spine is on that fixed blade LUM it would also be interesting to do something on the spine itself.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:36 am
As far as a Sprint Run >> I do believe that if you took the fixed blade LUM Tanto and made a smaller version in a size similar to the STREETBEAT model I bet that would get some immediate attention. And I bet that a smaller Lum Tanto fixed blade would have some interesting utility uses as well. And as thick as the spine is on that fixed blade LUM it would also be interesting to do something on the spine itself.
I don't think i would buy a smaller Lum fixed blade tanto as i think the existing one is small-ish already, but that's just me of course.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.