H1 is the perfect EDC steel. Change my mind..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: H1 is the perfect EDC steel. Change my mind..

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:25 am
Daveho wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:33 pm
Daveho wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:33 pm
I just don’t swim in the sea with my knives to need the corrosion resistance H1 offers.
Honestly I think M4 with a bit of froglube over the blade every now and then does the trick for me.
Overall M4 is probably my favorite steel, so I tend to agree with ya here. Honestly though I can't say I need the edge retention anymore. This topic obviously depends greatly on a person's uses so it's a little ridiculous to claim any steel to be perfect, I just wanted to get a fun discussion going. I do think H1 deserves more credit though.
I’d love to give it a go but haven’t looked too far into it because of the yellow, as the knife laws here are quite harsh it’s not great to go high vis.. I’ll have to see what I can get
I hear you. While knives are not illegal where I live, it is illegal if a police officer says it is, despite the law. So, I see no need to have a brightly colored knife that is not also small enough to palm. Out of sight out of mind, so to speak.
You guys do know most of the Salts come in black too right?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I can kind of see your point in a way EVIL D but my jury is still out on whether or not LC200N will do just as well with a Spyderedge as it's been proven that H-1 is a supreme blade steel for Spyderedges.

But I'm starting on a job next Tuesday where I'll be using my H-1 SE Spyderhawk for my companion blade for a while and actually I'm looking forward to it and it's about time I've given my Stainless, SE, ATS-55 RESCUE model some well deserved time off.

But with Nitrogen based blade steels I do believe that the best is yet to come and I believe it will be soon and like in the next 15 months or so. I just got a gut feeling that we are going to see more nitrogen based blade steels with newer/better properties soon.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have a related question to this: IS it possible that ANOTHER Nitrogen based steel, different from BOTH H1 AND lc200n, can be developed, that will prove to be superior or at least different in its knife/blade-qualities, than either of them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:58 am
I have a related question to this: IS it possible that ANOTHER Nitrogen based steel, different from BOTH H1 AND lc200n, can be developed, that will prove to be superior or at least different in its knife/blade-qualities, than either of them?

I'm no metallurgist but I don't see why not. If we can have so many types of carbon based steels it seems possible to tweak the makeup of H1 and create something that holds an edge better but is still rust proof. This is likely how we've come to have LC200N. The rust proof part is probably the limiting factor since the steels that hold an edge so we'll are common high in carbon and other things that rust. When you remove all those things you don't have much left to play with.
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, would you or have you ever carried the Pacific Salt as an everyday carry knife, and, do you prefer the plain edge or serrated edge?
vivi

Post by vivi »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:41 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:59 pm
Because it's also ridiculously tough and rust proof. Can we say the same about the others?
I don't know, I have never owned an H1 blade and have never had a rust issue with any stainless steel. Is it really tough or just not very hard? I know that's essentially the same thing, but I wonder if any steel at a lower hardness would yield about the same result?
H1 is tough as ****. Way tougher than any stainless I've used. It's not something people should be questioning at this point, a lot of us have over a decade of experience with H1. I can personally attest that it holds up great to chopping, prying, batoning, stabbing through the top of a food tin etc. I can't recall ever seeing H1 chip, even at the silly thin edge angles I use.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm going to agree with you D. No matter what other knife I'm carrying, I carry H1 almost every day. Most jobs that require the knife to get wet/ sticky/ dirty go to the H1 because it's so easy to clean. Now if they make an LC200N PE Dragonhawk that might change :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:07 pm
Pacific Salt has climbed to the top of my list, right next to SB Caly 3.5. Love the handle, better than Endura 4 by far and H1 has great properties for EDC use.
Funny enough, I am the same re: Pacific Salt vs. Endura 4. Basically they are the same knife (size and basic overall platform), but I greatly prefer the ergonomics of my Pacific Salt. The Byrd Cara Cara is also the same basic knife and I also prefer the Pacific Salt.

H1 dulls super quick and the edge rolls with a small amount of use, but as mentioned by others, it is super easy to quickly get super sharp. On my Sharpmaker or even my cheapie Vaughan pocket sharpener, I can get it super sharp in minutes.

I carry my Pacific Salt a lot. It will be my go to knife from May-Oct in the woods and around the water.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm glad they're keeping the Pacific Salt handle the same for now. I plan to stock up on FFG LC200N Pacific Salts, as well as SE H1 black on black.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:26 am
I can kind of see your point in a way EVIL D but my jury is still out on whether or not LC200N will do just as well with a Spyderedge as it's been proven that H-1 is a supreme blade steel for Spyderedges.

Yeah we'll see how it goes. I'm sort of the minority when it comes to SE and steel choices. SE is one area where I greatly prefer ease of sharpening and toughness above edge retention. The nature of serrations mean it will naturally hold an edge better than the same steel in PE, but because of the additional work it takes to get serrations sharp I want a steel that is super responsive to sharpening and super tough so the teeth and edges don't chip and require any major reprofiling to fix. I'm even more obsessive over keeping my SE blades at peak sharpness than my PE blades simply because they take so much more work to being back when they get super dull. As much as I've liked H1, I'm more interested in trying out something like 1095 or 52100 with serrations, or any steel that's known to he tough and easy to sharpen that has great edge stability. Since I touch the edge up so frequently, a steel like Maxamet or S110V would just be more hassle for me and the edge retention would be a waste in favor of far more difficult sharpening and edge repair.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:55 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:25 am
Daveho wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Overall M4 is probably my favorite steel, so I tend to agree with ya here. Honestly though I can't say I need the edge retention anymore. This topic obviously depends greatly on a person's uses so it's a little ridiculous to claim any steel to be perfect, I just wanted to get a fun discussion going. I do think H1 deserves more credit though.
I’d love to give it a go but haven’t looked too far into it because of the yellow, as the knife laws here are quite harsh it’s not great to go high vis.. I’ll have to see what I can get
I hear you. While knives are not illegal where I live, it is illegal if a police officer says it is, despite the law. So, I see no need to have a brightly colored knife that is not also small enough to palm. Out of sight out of mind, so to speak.
You guys do know most of the Salts come in black too right?
and different variations of that black, and you can always RIT dye or paint the yellow ones ;)

Vivi wrote:
H1 is tough as ****. Way tougher than any stainless I've used. It's not something people should be questioning at this point, a lot of us have over a decade of experience with H1. I can personally attest that it holds up great to chopping, prying, batoning, stabbing through the top of a food tin etc. I can't recall ever seeing H1 chip, even at the silly thin edge angles I use.
can't say I've never ever chipped H1, but it was minor and came back to business in no time. Repairing and straightening H1 is so forgiving compared to even AUS-8 and CTS-XHP

I've stabbed with it and pried to the point where I'm sure 8Cr or CTS-XHP would have snapped
and nothing beats getting sand, algae and dirt in the knife and rinsing it out in the water or dishwasher knowing there are no parts to rust :D

Folder and fixed blade alike

npad69 wrote: i'd love to own a parang or a kukri machete in PE H1 though.. its toughness and corrosion resistance will be just perfect for my uses since all my big blades always tend to get neglected and abused unlike my edc blades
the closest you get is this,

a really well balanced knife that due to shape and ergonomics chops as well as blades 2 inches longer and just melts in the hand, doing half of the work for you :spyder:
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Being stain-proof is a huge plus some of the time. For me, corrosion resistance is not a high priority on an average day.
I don't like how easily H1 rolls.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:58 am

Uddeholm's new Vanax is one example already and it definitely appears we will be seeing more advancements in Nitrogen steels in the future. Vanax is just as corrosion resistant as LC200N but it holds an edge more like S30V and it's 25% tougher than Elmax. Currently it's so expensive that it is probably only going to be considered by custom makers (for now), but the future is looking really exciting for Nitrogen based steel technology :) .

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:55 am
the closest you get is this,

a really well balanced knife that due to shape and ergonomics chops as well as blades 2 inches longer and just melts in the hand, doing half of the work for you :spyder:
exactly! if only it was bigger and longer though (>11in). something like a rock XXL or something. i'll need some mass and length behind the blade for optimal force if i am to chop away at big tree branches efficiently.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Just found the rescue knife. Can't wait to try.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TriggerThumb wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:18 pm
I'm sad. This thread made me shop for a new knife, so I thought I'd try the highly esteemed serrated h1. I love using serrated wharncliffes, so I wanted one in h1, and it doesn't exist?? :o :(

You'll have to settle for a sheepsfoot and regrind the tip if you want it more wharnieish. Check out the Atlantic Salt and Saver Salt.
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:22 pm
TriggerThumb wrote:
I'm sad. This thread made me shop for a new knife, so I thought I'd try the highly esteemed serrated h1. I love using serrated wharncliffes, so I wanted one in h1, and it doesn't exist?? :o :(

You'll have to settle for a sheepsfoot and regrind the tip if you want it more wharnieish. Check out the Atlantic Salt and Saver Salt.
Just curious, do you use a bench grinder, belt sander, dremel, or something else to regrind? You quench in cool water often I assume?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:38 pm
Evil D wrote:
TriggerThumb wrote:

Just curious, do you use a bench grinder, belt sander, dremel, or something else to regrind? You quench in cool water often I assume?
I have a small mini bench grinder for removing large amounts of steel and then finish with my Dremel. I keep water nearby always and dip it every few seconds.
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I'm gonna play with a cheapie coast knife before I grind a spydie.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Evil D wrote:
TriggerThumb wrote:

My main desire is a (sheepsfoot or wharncliffe) serrated with ffg. Could I get an Atlantic regrinded (reground?) into ffg? I'm not super knowledgeable so idk if there would be caveats. Also, know anyone that would do it?
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau