SAL!! When Will We See The Next Value Folder??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaseRicco

SAL!! When Will We See The Next Value Folder??

Post by JaseRicco »

As Surfingringo has stated, I have fallen down the Spydie hole, and I have fallen hard. I started with the Efficient, which was soon followed by the SharpMaker, and my most recent purchase was the Alcyone. Even still, I am already looking to purcahse my THIRD Spyderco. One of the reasons I decided to go with the Efficient and Alcyone is because they are the most recent designs with the Efficient released in January of 2017, and the Polestar/Alcyone released in February of 2017. So it’s been over a year without a design added to the Value Line, and I am anxious for another!

If my opinion counts for anything, I’d like to see a knife similar in size to the Efficient and Alcyone, with a unique blade design like a Reverse S or Wharncliffe.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Daveho

Re: SAL!! When Will We See The Next Value Folder??

Post by Daveho »

I’d look into the classics like the dragonfly and delica.
Great knives and deserve a spot in every collection.
I also really like the Cat, really ergonomic and surprisingly great.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I think changes to the value and Byrd lines are relatively few and far between as a way to keep costs lower.

I guess the good news it that you've really only just scratched the surface of what's available. Spyderco and Byrd have a lot to offer for ~$100 or less imo.

Just to throw something out there, BentoBoxShop has an exclusive plain-edge little Matriarch in dark blue frn and vg10 on sale for ~$85. I like Daveho's suggestions too.
:spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I believe the frn Salt knives are the biggest “value” in the Spyderco lineup and I think every spydie fan should own at least one Salt. I also think every spydie fan should own at least one knife with Spydercos serrations. The H1 salts are at the top of the food chain in performance for serrated blades. You see where I’m going with this? ;) There are some great options in there but my favorite is the large Pacific Salt. I know you gravitate towards smaller knives so you might have a look at the Salt 2. With that one you are basically getting a lightweight Delica in a completely corrosion proof package. What’s not to like?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Agreed, take a look at the salt series.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy a Salt series knife before I bought a value series knife, mostly because I've come to really respect H1 as a seriously capable EDC steel. Even though I don't have a problem with using non stainless steels it is still peace of mind knowing I don't have to deal with corrosion with H1 and the toughness and ease of sharpening sure doesn't hurt either. If I have to choose between two lower edge retention steels I may as well choose the one that's far tougher and rust proof.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Eric is working on addition to the Efficient family.

sal
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:48 am
All 3 are great recommendations and all are affordable.
Nate

Post by Nate »

There's the ClipiTool Standard and Rescue too, which are just being released. I look forward to seeing some reviews on those.
:spyder:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

well, to those that recommended H1 SE as the best option and first "must-have",

I'd say I just agree with you. Byrds and Value Folders are close, but not quite there IMO, Of course, YMMV

BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:37 am

sal
That is good news! The Efficient, aka, the poor mans Native, lol.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

You can of course also look into the ambitious/tenacious range, the difference between CTS-BD1 v 8cr13mov is negligible with people having preferences either way but I’ve not tried the former.
My ambitious has seen years of use and is still solid, it’s been through hundreds if not thousands of pallets of car parts.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:46 am
I'd buy a Salt series knife before I bought a value series knife, mostly because I've come to really respect H1 as a seriously capable EDC steel.
This, 100%, has been the one thing that has stopped from getting some other Spydercos, while still adding an extra Salt here and there.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Daveho wrote:
I am partial to LinerLocks and both the Dragonfly and Delica come with backlocks, otherwise I would definitely be looking into both of these knives.

The cat is just too small, I like to stick to a blade that is around 3 inches. Plus I don’t really like the wire clip that the cat comes with.

But thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

JaseRicco wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:27 pm
Daveho wrote:
I am partial to LinerLocks and both the Dragonfly and Delica come with backlocks, otherwise I would definitely be looking into both of these knives.

The cat is just too small, I like to stick to a blade that is around 3 inches. Plus I don’t really like the wire clip that the cat comes with.

But thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated.
I felt the same, untill I got them.
It’s worth buying something abit out of your usual wheelhouse every now and then as it helps to define what you want in your next knife, plus it stops you buying slight variations of what is basically the same knife.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:17 am
I believe the frn Salt knives are the biggest “value” in the Spyderco lineup and I think every spydie fan should own at least one Salt. I also think every spydie fan should own at least one knife with Spydercos serrations. The H1 salts are at the top of the food chain in performance for serrated blades. You see where I’m going with this? ;) There are some great options in there but my favorite is the large Pacific Salt. I know you gravitate towards smaller knives so you might have a look at the Salt 2. With that one you are basically getting a lightweight Delica in a completely corrosion proof package. What’s not to like?
On your suggestion I took a look at the salt series knives, they look like some really nice quality pieces. I really like the yellow handles scales, different, and I like different or unique. I purchased the Efficient because it was the only Value Knife with a finger choil, and I purchased the Alcyone because it was the only one with Gray G-10. I’m not really into serrations, I am partial to a plain edge myself, but I see each one of the knives in the Salt line can be selected with either serrations or plain, so that’s not a problem. And you’re right, I do tend to lean towards more of a medium sized knife, about a 3” blade is my preference, so the Salt 2 FRN is perfect, right at a 3” blade. But I am not against a knife that is a bit bigger. I actually went back and looked through the Value line to see if anything struck my fancy. I saw that Spyderco released a Tenacious Exclusive in Orange G-10, and with a black blade, man is it just a bad a#! looking knife. So again, considering that I like unique, I HAD to pick it up. So I think this purcahse will leave me satisfied...for now lol. Plus, at $80-$90, the Salts are more then I’d like to spend on knives at the present. I had to dig down deep to spend $67 on the Alcyone, so another $20 on top of that...not even close to being ok with that yet. On top of which I am partial to LinerLocks. However, I see...I see...more expensive knives in my future though haha.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:40 pm
I felt the same, untill I got them.
It’s worth buying something abit out of your usual wheelhouse every now and then as it helps to define what you want in your next knife, plus it stops you buying slight variations of what is basically the same knife.
Some good advice, and very true.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:37 am

sal
Awesome!! Can’t wait to see what it is!!
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Nate wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:02 am
There's the ClipiTool Standard and Rescue too, which are just being released. I look forward to seeing some reviews on those.
I looked at these, very nice pieces. But as an Officer, if I purcahsed a rescue type of knife, I would definately spring for one of the knives in the Assist line. I can see them being extremely useful in a rescue scenario.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:39 pm
You can of course also look into the ambitious/tenacious range, the difference between CTS-BD1 v 8cr13mov is negligible with people having preferences either way but I’ve not tried the former.
My ambitious has seen years of use and is still solid, it’s been through hundreds if not thousands of pallets of car parts.
I picked up the Spyderco exclusive Tenacious with Orange G-10 and a black blade earlier today. Should be here a just a couple days...CAN’T WAIT
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold: