BHQ with a hap40 Lum Tanto exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Txflyfish

Re: BHQ with a hap40 Lum Tanto exclusive?

Post by Txflyfish »

Out of stock again! Was back in stock due to cancelled orders
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Txflyfish wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:57 am
Out of stock again! Was back in stock due to cancelled orders
Did you call them up and ask? I was curious if they were separately shipped batches, but maybe not the case, and just a few remaining stragglers.
Going back to Caly.
Txflyfish

Post by Txflyfish »

Yes I did. I guess I just super lucky. It’s my first time stumbling on this thread and was wondering what the fuss was all about since it was showing in stock. Turns out it was just a few that cancelled
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Txflyfish wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 am
Yes I did. I guess I just super lucky. It’s my first time stumbling on this thread and was wondering what the fuss was all about since it was showing in stock. Turns out it was just a few that cancelled

Good for you man, glad more people could latch onto one of these other than the scalpers.
Going back to Caly.
Txflyfish

Post by Txflyfish »

Oh yea especially bladehq was kind enough to check the knive over for me. It’s gonna be a companion for my big lum
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

No need to repeat too much of what’s going on at Bladeforums, but like many others one of my two Lums is an unmitigated failure. Loud scratchy opening (videos are popping up not posted by me), way off-center blade; almost on the liner. Real bad.

The “good” one’s stop pin screw was nearly totally unscrewed when I took it out of the bubble wrap.

I hope Spyderco comes down hard on the Seki manufacturer of these, or kicks them to the curb. If this was my first (instead of 100th) time buying a Spyderco—especially at $220—I’d be done.

I’m glad these were from BladeHQ, which has a good return policy. Imagine buying from BentoBox with a no-return policy?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Mine came in today and was very stiff opening so I put a drop of oil on the pivot. Instead of helping, the knife started making a grinding noise. I sprayed a bit of silicone on the pivot to clean it out and the scales started looking nasty. Gave the knife a bath in soap and warm water to clean it up. Blew the knife out with air and put a drop of oil on the pivot. Action is much better now, however one shouldn't have to do this to a new knife costing $220. Not a happy camper. Hoping my scales will have the "new" look in the morning but I'm not holding my breath. Were these knives inspected before being released? If so, those doing it were visually impaired. (Blade not centered) Don't mean to be a whiner, but not happy with this purchase.
Last edited by Tdog on Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

rivy wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:35 pm
Popsickle wrote:
Sjucaveman wrote:Perhaps they'll release a second half of the run next week like they did with the dlc m4 manix?
Nope they are all done.

I would hope to see a 2nd run later down the road
How do you know they're truly done?
Confirmed on instagram. Many asked if it was only the beginning and they confirmed they in fact sold out of the ENTIRE lot.

If they do a second run I hope they have better QC. Tons complaining it seems
rivy

Post by rivy »

Wow! Now I don’t feel so bad about missing this run!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

rivy wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:04 pm
Wow! Now I don’t feel so bad about missing this run!
Exactly my thought!
Josh
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Txflyfish wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:09 am
Oh yea especially bladehq was kind enough to check the knive over for me. It’s gonna be a companion for my big lum
I also ask BHQ to inspect the knives I order from them and I've never got one that wasn't right. The only thing I had to do to this knife was loosen the pivot screw a little, other than that it's perfect. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

holeshot wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:23 am
Txflyfish wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:09 am
I also ask BHQ to inspect the knives I order from them and I've never got one that wasn't right. The only thing I had to do to this knife was loosen the pivot screw a little, other than that it's perfect. :)
Wow. Lots of complaints about centering. I'm glad I specified that Bladehq inspect knife for blade centering. It comes in today. We'll see how well they inspected it.
sal

Post by sal »

I posted this on Bladeforums:

Mine is a little off center. I think that's the nature of HAP 40. It's a thick blade in a narrow channel and HAP 40 is a very difficult steel to keep from warping. It's not as noticeable in smaller thinner blades. This is not an easy knife to make (at any cost). The natural G-10 is exceptional, also a difficult material to work with. Chamfers and reliefs are very good. Polished screws, stand offs and clip are beautiful. Polished skeletonized liners, perfectly matched to the scales with much weight removed. Grind lines are crisp. A beautiful job on a difficult grind on a very difficult san mai steel. Solid lock up on an arc ramp with perfect positioning. And *****ing about the price? Why don't you ask your favorite custom maker what they would charge to make this knife out of a Hap 40 laminate? Then we can compare quality?

A drop of oil and some break in time also does wonders for quality construction.

I can see that if you are not satisfied with the knife, you might want to send it back, but I would not expect you to send it back after you mucked with it. And send your muck job to another poor customer?

I'm certainly keeping mine. If nothing else, for collector value. It's a beautiful example of the late Bob Lum's designing skill and the Seki makers's manufacturing skill. I guess if you look for positive, you see it, and if you look for negative, likewise.

sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

image.jpeg
I'm certainly keeping mine. If nothing else, for collector value. It's a beautiful example of the late Bob Lum's designing skill and the Seki makers's manufacturing skill. I guess if you look for positive, you see it, and if you look for negative, likewise.

sal
Me too! :)
sal

Post by sal »

Also posted this on BF:

cigarrodog said: ↑
Hello Sal. I agree with you. The blade alone makes it worth owning. I don’t have a problem with the blade being off-centered, but should it practically touch the other side? I am loathe to give this one up. Is there something that can be done to make its’ off-centeredness less extreme? Thank you.
Hi Cigarrodog,

Practically touching the liner and touching the liner are different. As I said, if you're not happy, send it back. Our goal is to have happy customers. Bob's design has a thick part of the blade between the liners. Most of our knives are full flat or high hollow so it's not as easy to see. How many other makers do you know even trying to use Hap 40? It's a PITA to turn into a blade. Compare apples with apples. How many dealers do you know of that have the balls to commission such a project? BHQ always has the best interest of their customers in mind.

Also, with all of the complaints, I will probably not make another one.

sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

sal

I'm one person that hopes that's not the case. This is a beautifully designed knife and then some. Of course if you don't, I wish I would have bought two just for the collectibility factor. :D
"No matter where you go, there you are"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I for one sincerely hope this isn't the last Hap40 Jade knife we see, or the last Lum Tanto either. It is a beautiful knife, and I'm jealous of those who got one. Negative voices always seem to be the loudest, but I think the majority are very happy to have this knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:24 pm
I for one sincerely hope this isn't the last Hap40 Jade knife we see, or the last Lum Tanto either. It is a beautiful knife, and I'm jealous of those who got one. Negative voices always seem to be the loudest, but I think the majority are very happy to have this knife.
Spoken perfectly! Cheers to that!
Think for yourself
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:45 am
Also posted this on BF:

cigarrodog said: ↑
Hello Sal. I agree with you. The blade alone makes it worth owning. I don’t have a problem with the blade being off-centered, but should it practically touch the other side? I am loathe to give this one up. Is there something that can be done to make its’ off-centeredness less extreme? Thank you.
Hi Cigarrodog,

Practically touching the liner and touching the liner are different. As I said, if you're not happy, send it back. Our goal is to have happy customers. Bob's design has a thick part of the blade between the liners. Most of our knives are full flat or high hollow so it's not as easy to see. How many other makers do you know even trying to use Hap 40? It's a PITA to turn into a blade. Compare apples with apples. How many dealers do you know of that have the balls to commission such a project? BHQ always has the best interest of their customers in mind.

sal
The way you have been publicly talking about your customers is a bit off-putting. I understand that the customer is not always right, but a little discretion goes a long way. If the product is good, it will show. If not, that will also show. Shiny footprints?
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

What is it with people and blade centering? I have a 204p Millie that's way off center, the G10 had pretty thick scratches out of the box, most likely a returned knife, but you know what? It opens and closes just fine, cuts just fines, and is just overall a **** fine knife. Looks to me like a lot of people are simply buying things they can't really afford, their only considerations being online street creds and future resale value.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.