Self defense with new releases

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sjucaveman

Re: Self defense with new releases

Post by Sjucaveman »

I'm trying to decide between a delica wharncliffe in se or pe with a signet ring or the yojimbo 2.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
TomB7777

Post by TomB7777 »

I agree a Glock 19 is the way to go for self defense. But here in Texas I can't carry my Glock into my kids high school or school events. Since Sept 1, 2017 I can carry a dagger or any knife into a school or other CCW prohibited place as long as the blade is under 5.5 inches. That's one reason why I carry a Benchmade CKB pushdagger on my left side and a Spyderco Military in my back pocket all the time.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomB7777 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:36 pm
I agree a Glock 19 is the way to go for self defense. But here in Texas I can't carry my Glock into my kids high school or school events. Since Sept 1, 2017 I can carry a dagger or any knife into a school or other CCW prohibited place as long as the blade is under 5.5 inches. That's one reason why I carry a Benchmade CKB pushdagger on my left side and a Spyderco Military in my back pocket all the time.

That's a big advantage to things like knives and OC spray. There are many areas you can't legally carry a firearm that you can carry other self defense tools.

I agree with others that if you own a gun and can legally carry it, don't let kids deter you. ALWAYS keep it secure, whether you have kids or not.

Same with knives. One of the reason I'm so adamant about strong sheath retention and strong closing bias in folders is I don't want mine to easily access them in the event I carelessly left one out. That and when they want to climb you like a monkey you don't want them to knock something out of the sheath.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

:o I hope I didn't come across as suggesting that all people with children shouldn't own guns. I don't think that. I was only suggesting that some people who have kids that behave like I did, might consider other options.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 pm
My dad upgraded to a combo safe when I was 15, I learned his combo in less than a year.

I agree, teaching proper use and handling is better than a safe.

*edit* I used to take locked doors as a challenge. When dad bought his giant fancy combo gun safe, I was excited to have a new puzzle to solve. I got into every locked drawer, closet, box, and safe we had in the house. I found everything they hid. I know this behavior isn't typical, but some kids are just stubborn, nosey, and determined to get into trouble, I certainly was.
He shoulda whooped the fire outta you!

Just kidding
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Not to be redundant, but I have to agree with what some have stated here about CC. When my buddy, who lives in NC, was applying for his CC, he was given, what I believe to be, a good piece of advice...commit to carrying 100%. Either carry or don’t. He has three girls ranging from a year old to roughly 10 years old. He carries everyday, and everywhere that he is allowed.

Now, if you are looking for something to carry for defensive purposes in those areas that you are not allowed to carry a firearm, that’s a different story, though I’m not sure I would recommend a knife, especially a folder. It takes a lot of knowledge and practice to be confidently skillful with a knife in a defensive situation. I believe you would be better served, depending on your state laws, with something like law enformcent grade pepper spray, a concealable baton, or even a concealable stun gun. Of course there is also the “last ditch effort” sitiutation. In this situation you would not have access to your main weapons, whatever they may be, or maybe you have gone to grounds with someone who is just going to town on you, and you now fear for your life. In this type of situation, a concealable taser would work well. If you are set on a knife, for whatever the reason, I still would not recommend a folder. If you think about what is going on in this type of situation, acccessing a folder from your pocket, and deploying the blade will prove to be difficult. Unfortunately Spyderco does not offer the type of knife you would want to have here. I have looked and don’t see anything that would work. So I have been in contact with someone at Spyderco to submit my idea of a “defensive, last ditch effort” type of knife, but the process is a little too much of a pain. At some point, when I can clearly and concisely describe what it is that I have in my head, I will post the idea here with the hopes that Sal might like the idea and run with it.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
vivi

Post by vivi »

They have the Ark which can be lashed horizontally to the front of a belt, or worn around the neck.

They have the Ronin 2 which is comfortable enough to EDC behind a weakside hip due to how light and flat it is.

If you can find a Swick, very few fixed blades offer equal grip retention and a full sized four finger grip in such a compact package.

Always open to new designs though!
Last edited by vivi on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:29 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
My dad upgraded to a combo safe when I was 15, I learned his combo in less than a year.

*edit* I used to take locked doors as a challenge. When dad bought his giant fancy combo gun safe, I was excited to have a new puzzle to solve. I got into every locked drawer, closet, box, and safe we had in the house. I found everything they hid. I know this behavior isn't typical, but some kids are just stubborn, nosey, and determined to get into trouble, I certainly was.
He shoulda whooped the fire outta you!

Just kidding
You are probably right :) Bless them for not drowning me in a bathtub, or beating the stuffing outta me... I was a very difficult child.

for anyone interested here's that video I was mentioning earlier.
https://youtu.be/FgTV8KKNQ3w

For people who live where you can't conceal carry a gun or a fixed blade... (or if you just prefer folders)
This video series may help you if you can't already quickly and confidently draw your folding knife.
https://youtu.be/cfq1YEYQxs8
*9:46 in the video, my favorite Michael Janich quote ever. I might change it to my sig line one of these days :D
Spyderco also sells a Delica, Endura, Karahawk, and Matriarch with an Emerson wave.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

You might consider a good pair of running shoes, or failing that, a great deal of training with whatever method and tools you choose. Alas, having a tool doesn't make you safe, having a tool with the training to use it makes you safe.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

ZrowsN1s wrote:

Sounds like gumption and self reliance in action to me. I was a curious squirrel as a kid as well.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

One thing to consider is the legal implications of defense with an edge weapon. In most areas you are better off legally with a gun in most SD situations that would require deadly force which is the only situation a knife would apply to.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:33 am
One thing to consider is the legal implications of defense with an edge weapon. In most areas you are better off legally with a gun in most SD situations that would require deadly force which is the only situation a knife would apply to.

That's the catch. I feel like a lot of people view a knife as less lethal than a gun but that is so far from the truth. You had better not pull either one unless you literally need to defend your life. The attacker had better be trying to kill you or you'll likely end up being the one in prison.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

While reading through all the inputs and comments that are of GREAT value to my original question i would like to comment on all of the various gun comments first to shift the focus back to a knife that is needed for protection etc. My background is that am 41 with a wife and a 4 year old. I have a ccw permit but i have literally only used it less than five times. I have a Smith and Wesson shield in 9mm that i purchased just for that purpose. Inside carry holster etc. To me i live in 20 minutes from Charlotte in SC. I don't go anywhere that i feel that i need to wear (uncomfortable as everything) a CCW. Now that being said, i LOVE guns (and knives). I grew up shooting with my dad and go to the range 1-2 times a month. However for me it is much is easier to carry comfortably a knife. That being said you can use many different knives for that purpose. I did watch Michael Janich's video and it was very enlightening. Thanks to all for your comments and input. So here is the layout. I usually carry a delica hap40 on any number of my many PM2s on a daily basis, I want this self defense knife to be light and easy to carry. I can still get the PPT Perrin while is still out but what is everyone's input on it compared to a YJ2 in S90V as well. Personal preferences are needed, hence im left hand carry and my either put this knife on the inside waist band or simply in a lower pocket. Thanks all.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've made my point and want to let others make theirs as well, so I will try and make this my last comment in this thread. :o

It is correct that the only time you should use a knife in this fashion is if you truly believe your life or someone elses life is in immediate danger and leathal force is warranted (be prepared to explain and justify it to a jury). But there are ways to use a knife that are less than leathal, and that is what the cbc (empty hand) and cbc advanced (with knife) videos teach. Specifically targeting biceps, and quadraceps, instead of necks and abdomens. And again, if people would watch his training videos, they would find that you don't need years or even months of training to use these techniques. I don't want people to think that this stuff is beyond their abilities. My best friend practices these techniques with me, he learned the 'go to' move against the most comon type of knife attack in our first practice session. Practice is important, and the more you practice the better you'll get, but these techniques are easy to learn. They are a distillation of many techniques that have been simplified and streamlined that give you only what you need and no filler. As Sal said a little bit of training from Mr. Janich goes a long way.
"The more you learn, the less you know.".
SC_PATRIOT wrote:....
Personal preferences are needed, hence im left hand carry and my either put this knife on the inside waist band or simply in a lower pocket. Thanks all.
I'm ambidextrous and carry on my left side and right. Between the PPT and Yo2, I'd go with the Yo2 for the compression lock vs. the frame lock. I find compression locks much easier to use left handed. I've taken the clip off my Yo2 and carry it in pocket. The PPT is 4.9oz and 4.25" closed, the Yo2 is 4oz. and 4.5" closed. The Yo2 is lighter, the PPT is smaller. Hope that helps.
*btw the last part of the CBC advanced video 'mismatched leads' show how to implement all techniques shown as a leftie, or against a leftie.