Self defense with new releases

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

Self defense with new releases

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Looking at the new PPT in S90 and the sold out YJ2 in S90. I have a carry permit for a firearm but I don't want to carry and keep up with where a firearm is with a 4 year old son. Looking to acquire either of the above knives for carry at work and out and about in addition to my regular edc knife. I want one for simply defense that is easy to carry and conceal. Any recommendations on which is preferred. Note I'm left handed and will be 100% drawn from the left pocket.
Last edited by SC_PATRIOT on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
sal

Re: Self defense with new releases

Post by sal »

Hi Patriot,

I'm certainly a bit biased, but the Yojimbo 2 with a little training (video or in person) from Michael Janich does go a long way.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:Looking at the new PPT in S90 and the sold out YJ2 in S90. I have a carry permit for a firearm but I don't want to carry and keep up with where a firearm is with a 4 year old son. Looking to acquire either of the above knives for carry at work and out and about in addition to my regular edc knife. I want one for simply defense that is easy to carry and conceal. Any recommendations on which is preferred. Note I'm left handed and will be 100% drawn from the left pocket.
I'd skip both and get a Ronin 2, Enuff or Ark depending on your size preference. Fixed > folder for your applications.

Not to say either folder is a bad knife...they are both incredibly well designed folders that can fill a variety of roles. If I had to choose between the two I'd go with the Yojimbo and get it waved.
:unicorn
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

I'm actually working on a trade with someone already for the YJ2. I've had one before but it was several years ago pre kid. Thanks for input Sal. It may be this model hence the PPT is already sold out of 2 vendors as of this afternoon.
johnson

Post by johnson »

Sorry for the hijack but how effective will a Delica 4 Wharncliffe be for self defence application ? It does resemble the Yo2 somewhat ?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

johnson wrote:Sorry for the hijack but how effective will a Delica 4 Wharncliffe be for self defence application ? It does resemble the Yo2 somewhat ?
I've been doing my best to learn Mr. Janich's Counter Blade Concepts and CBC Advanced concepts. I think it would work just fine using those techniques or his Martial Blade Concepts techniques. Watch some of his "pork man" videos on youtube to see how well a Delica cuts.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dude, get a gun small enough to commit to carrying it all the time. Problem solved. A gun is the answer you seek. I love Spyderco exclusively but I generally buy smallishish knives to not take up more room than a gun would need. You need to take advantage of living in a state that allows CCW.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

twinboysdad wrote:Dude, get a gun small enough to commit to carrying it all the time. Problem solved. A gun is the answer you seek. I love Spyderco exclusively but I generally buy smallishish knives to not take up more room than a gun would need. You need to take advantage of living in a state that allows CCW.
This. 100%.

I have 3 children ranging from 2 to 10 and I ALWAYS carry. Even when I am just around the house. No exceptions.

I carry my knives in my left pocket after I got used to a pocket pistol. Now I don't use the pocket pistol enough but I still keep my knives in my left pocket.

To be honest, my 2 year old can pull a knife out of my pocket, but does not have the strength to pull a pistol out of my holster. Quality leather is all you need.

Good luck with the knife though!
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

I vote pistol as well. Become religious about keeping it secure when not worn and you will rest easy knowing your family has the armed security it deserves. I'm moving out of NY soon exclusively to carry to protect my family. I'd drive them around in a tank if it was feasible :p
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

If you are looking for something to supplement your concealed carry, I vote for learning Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I'm no lawyer, but if your opponent is confrontational and unarmed, drawing and using a weapon seems like a recipe for a guilty verdict (if not in criminal court, certainly in civil court). Your concealed carry sounds like it is more than adequate to deal with a threat at distance. BJJ will help you deal with threats at close range. I know that my suggestion is off-topic, so feel free to ignore it.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:18 am
If you are looking for something to supplement your concealed carry, I vote for learning Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I'm no lawyer, but if your opponent is confrontational and unarmed, drawing and using a weapon seems like a recipe for a guilty verdict (if not in criminal court, certainly in civil court). Your concealed carry sounds like it is more than adequate to deal with a threat at distance. BJJ will help you deal with threats at close range. I know that my suggestion is off-topic, so feel free to ignore it.
I have trained BJJ for 6 years or so, and I love it. But I highly recommend supplementing BJJ with Boxing as well. If you get into a fight a 3 on 1 fight, you better stay off the ground. I think the true order of operations for self defense is

1) CCW - and train with it
2) BJJ
3) Boxing

Being trained in knife defense would be #2, but for all the scenarios were you would need that you can use your Pistol. For scenarios with an unarmed argressor, see #2 and #3. Knife defense is great for gun free areas. School, movies, etc. But, there is only so much time in the day for people to train. I am still working on improving at #1 and #3.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Google "jocko willink martial arts". It is a video where this former Seal basically says SD starts and ends with CCW and he recommends BJJ beyond that. The experts would encourage you to make a gun a priority
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll echo the others, just because you have a child doesn't mean you can't have a gun. You should be taking the same safety precautions for a knife that you would a gun. I carry both everyday and the gun is either on my hip or locked up in the safe.

But to answer your question, I'd go with the Yojimbo 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:29 am
Google "jocko willink martial arts". It is a video where this former Seal basically says SD starts and ends with CCW and he recommends BJJ beyond that. The experts would encourage you to make a gun a priority
That guy is a beast!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:16 am
I have trained BJJ for 6 years or so, and I love it. But I highly recommend supplementing BJJ with Boxing as well. If you get into a fight a 3 on 1 fight, you better stay off the ground. I think the true order of operations for self defense is

1) CCW - and train with it
2) BJJ
3) Boxing

Being trained in knife defense would be #2, but for all the scenarios were you would need that you can use your Pistol. For scenarios with an unarmed argressor, see #2 and #3. Knife defense is great for gun free areas. School, movies, etc. But, there is only so much time in the day for people to train. I am still working on improving at #1 and #3.
Man 6 years... I'm so jealous, I've been training off and on for about a year. I want to be so much better than I currently am. Some gyms offer striking classes (my gym has Thai kick boxing). So there are definitely options for striking plus BJJ without having to go to two separate gyms.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

@p_atrick - if you can find the perfect gym that offers both that is a big win! I could never find a good mix. I am currently not training BJJ right now (for a variety of reasons) and taking some 1-1 boxing lessons when I have time. I need to get back into it more, and train more with my CCW. I also need to CCW more then I do.

We can always get better across the board!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think carrying a weapon mean you will actually resort to it when the situation demands it. For me that means that I, or some innocent person, is under the immediate threat of deadly violence or significan bodily harm. The best means of defense is of course to avoid or deflect the situation in the first place, but sometimes this isn’t possible. It only makes sense then to maximize one’s chances of surviving. If a person is trained in martial arts, that is a help but doesn’t mean you will have a sufficient advantage. Having a knife for defense is also better than nothing, but without training, or in the wrong situation is not the best choice either.

As an example, I am a big guy, but I’m also seventy-five and am dealing with a serious health issue that degrades my physical abilities. If I was to be confronted by one younger man, or two, or three and threatened with deadly force, reaching for my Yojimbo would not be a really good move. Especially if my potential assailants reached for their Yojimbo, baseball bats or guns. I think the only realistic scenario, should one want to be able to protect oneself from this kind of incident, is to carry an adequate firearm, train and learn to handle it safely and commit to the awful prospect of having to resort to it when absolutely necessary. I’d say the number of people who train adequately to deal with these kinds of threats are few indeed.

Certainly, if one of my children were present at such a time I would definitely want to maximize my potential for sudden and effective violence to protect them. In my opinion, carrying a knife, even ones like the Yojimbo or Street Beat is not the answer. Unless you are perhaps Fred Perrin or Michael Janich.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I agree for defense nothing is a better equalizer than a firearm. A knife is a good option for people like me who live in cities and states (or work in places) where guns are not an option, or for people who have children who get into absolutely everything. My dad had a safe too, I found the keys...

Even for the people who can and do carry guns, I highly recommend the Counter Blade Concepts videos. It teaches practical unarmed defense techniques against knife (and other) attacks that can allow you to stop a surprise attack and create enough distance to allow you to draw your firearm, or knife, or even to run away. You don't need to be a super athlete or a martial artist to learn these techniques either, they are pretty simple, effective, and designed to work for people of all body types and abilities. A knife or a gun isn't much good to you if you get stabbed or beaten before you have the chance to draw it.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:09 pm
My dad had a safe too, I found the keys...

Dad should have had a combination safe. Besides that, nothing is safer than teaching your kid right from wrong and gun safety, regardless of how you secure them. Same goes with knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My dad upgraded to a combo safe when I was 15, I learned his combo in less than a year.

I agree, teaching proper use and handling is better than a safe.

*edit* I used to take locked doors as a challenge. When dad bought his giant fancy combo gun safe, I was excited to have a new puzzle to solve. I got into every locked drawer, closet, box, and safe we had in the house. I found everything they hid. I know this behavior isn't typical, but some kids are just stubborn, nosey, and determined to get into trouble, I certainly was.