Spyderco Para3 vs Paramilitary 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Felr2

Spyderco Para3 vs Paramilitary 2?

Post by Felr2 »

Well, I live in Canada and I am looking to add one final knife to my collection before the knife stock becomes completely depleted because of the CBSA.

I currently have a Delica 4, Benchmade Mini Grip Sheepsfoot, and a Dragonfly.

I am having a hard time deciding between the Paramilitary 2 and the Para 3. I will be buying either of them in S110v.

PM2 makes more sense for me because the Para 3 is going to have a similar blade length to my Delica and Benchmade. And I would like something slightly longer than the Delica 4. I like its looks and pocket clip position more than the Para 3.

But I keep hearing about how delicate the tip is on the PM2 and I know that the Para 3 has a thicker tip due to the blade stock having the same starting thickness yet being shorter. And I do intend on using it as a camp/outdoor knife so maybe I want a thicker tip?

Any thoughts? Or maybe even Manix 2 in S110v?
elena86

Re: Spyderco Para3 vs Paramilitary 2?

Post by elena86 »

Para2 in any steel
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Get the pm2 or better yet the millie in s110v
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

I have a Manix in S110V Blurple. Even though I tend to carry smaller knives 90% of the time, I have to say that thing is one of the most awesome folding knives I own. Fit & finish are PERFECT, smooth, ergonomics, there is just nothing not done right on that knife!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Para 2 feels much better in hand for me with big hands.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Get the Pm2 first ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Nate

Post by Nate »

The PM2 does have a fine tip, but that doesn't put me off the knife, I like it as one of its features.

I did snap a tiny bit off the tip on one of my s30v PM2's a while back, probably 1mm or less, when I tried to "gently" pry off a lightswitch cover that was stuck with paint (I scored around the perimeter first, but evidently not enough). At any rate, lesson learned. It's really not even noticeable though and now the tip is a little stronger! :p

I don't know how you use your knives, but assuming you won't intend to pry with either in s110v, I would just go with the model you like more, which sounds like the PM2.
:spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I believe the handle on the Manix 2 is thinner than the PM2 which felt better to me. If possible, you should handle the two knives to see what your senses tell you.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
anycal

Post by anycal »

As mentioned, since you already have some smaller blades, you should definitely try something bigger.

Pulling out some older pics for comparison,

Peter
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

PM2 is far superior ergonomically for me, and has slowly become one of my favorite all around users. PM3 does not fit my hand well, and the blade thickness and shape just make more sense on the PM2 IMHO.

Not sure what you are doing with your knives, but I would not worry about the tip on the PM2 being and issue, ever.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I checked the tip thickness between the pm2 and the para 3 this morning. The para 3 is slightly thinker, but I’m not sure it’s significantly thicker. They are really close to the same.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

They are both great knives but the clip is an issue for me on the Para 3 so the PM2 wins for me. With the current restrictions being enforced in Canada I'd say you should just bite the bullet and buy both. If you end up liking both then you win, if you end up having to sell one then you win again as you'll probably end up getting more than you paid when they are not available anymore.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

Fellow Canadian here. I can't believe what they're doing to us nowadays, we used to be the guys the good knife laws.... Anywho, imo Manix > Para 2/3, though I must admit thats partially because I'm a lefty.
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

PM2 is a must have.
vivi

Post by vivi »

abbazaba wrote:PM2 is far superior ergonomically for me, and has slowly become one of my favorite all around users. PM3 does not fit my hand well, and the blade thickness and shape just make more sense on the PM2 IMHO.

Not sure what you are doing with your knives, but I would not worry about the tip on the PM2 being and issue, ever.
Seconded.

Dunno what OP does when he camps, but I never have to pry with a folding knife when I go camping. If I do want to pry, I have plenty of tools better suited to it - multitools with flat head screwdrivers, carbon steel fixed blades with thick tips and spines, axes, etc. Something like a Para 2 would see most its use as a paring knife dicing onions and potatoes, maybe cutting some rope. Either knife is overkill for that.
:unicorn
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I was very pleased when the Spyderco Para Military 2 came out. I like the original Spyderco Para Military, but I sometimes felt the blade was a bit short... that was addressed with the longer blade and design of the Para Military 2. The ergonomics of the Para Military 2 are outstanding and I get a knife with sufficient blade length and great feel I get with the Spyderco Military, but in a slightly smaller package. Although different, it just seems the Spyderco Para Military 3 is too similar to the original Para Military, especially with regards to the blade length.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!