PM2 pocket clip default position

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you have your PM2 tip up or down?

Tip down (default)
26%
Tip up
74%

Total votes: 47

Hailon

PM2 pocket clip default position

Post by Hailon »

Most people i see always have PM2s with tip up, changing it from the default tip down position.

Always bugs me i have to change it on a new knife and it leaves the clip impression in the G10 every time :-(

Ive added a poll to see how others run their PM2s to see if its a majority in favour of the flipped tip up maybe they could be built and shipped in that position.

Please dont make this a tip up, tip down argument... just a simple do you change the position.
BrianMcCord

Re: PM2 pocket clip default position

Post by BrianMcCord »

I do change mine sometimes. I have two, so one is up, one down. I think it comes this way to fall in line with the Military, for consistency. The Para 3 comes tip-up, which I thought was interesting.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Hailon

Post by Hailon »

I dont mind as much that its in that position its the impression it leaves in the g10 that bugs me.
I always run tip up...
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

I like smaller knives tip up. For the PM2, tip down works better for me. I also like that the stock clip isn’t the deepest carry. The PM2 is thicker than my other three knives. This combined with the grippy G10 means a firm grip on the top of the knife is helpful in removing it from the pocket. My fingers end up just above the Spydiehole, and deployment is easy.

With the tip up, I need to reposition my grip to get to the Spydiehole, which isn’t as efficient — in my hand, anyway.
Jim
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The knife deploys well either way. I run tip up because the clip is more comfortable in my hand while cutting with it.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

BrianMcCord wrote:I do change mine sometimes. I have two, so one is up, one down. I think it comes this way to fall in line with the Military, for consistency. The Para 3 comes tip-up, which I thought was interesting.
Small knives can handle tip up better than larger knives. Large knives tip up have a handicap in terms of speed and safety when you try to deploy them. Not everybody cares about speed and safety so they change their clips. People on forums seem to prefer tip up carrry. I don't know what the statistics are for people that don't read forums because they don't participate in polls.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This came up a while back. I'd like the option of mounting the clip myself, so just leave it in a bag with the screws.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

bdblue wrote:
BrianMcCord wrote:I do change mine sometimes. I have two, so one is up, one down. I think it comes this way to fall in line with the Military, for consistency. The Para 3 comes tip-up, which I thought was interesting.
Small knives can handle tip up better than larger knives. Large knives tip up have a handicap in terms of speed and safety when you try to deploy them. Not everybody cares about speed and safety so they change their clips. People on forums seem to prefer tip up carrry. I don't know what the statistics are for people that don't read forums because they don't participate in polls.
For safety reasons, I always put the spine of the knife on the outside. So, tip up for front pocket carry, and tip down for back pocket carry (on the right hand side). That is why you will usually find my Military in the back pocket.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
TomB7777

Post by TomB7777 »

I usually carry a Military, but when I do carry a PM2 I leave it tip down in my back pocket.
I don't mess with the clip.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Evil D wrote:This came up a while back. I'd like the option of mounting the clip myself, so just leave it in a bag with the screws.
This would be the best!

I always change to tip up.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Spydersense wrote:
Evil D wrote:This came up a while back. I'd like the option of mounting the clip myself, so just leave it in a bag with the screws.
This would be the best!

I agree and the marks it leaves on the handle are annoying
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
FWR132

Post by FWR132 »

Man, i was so sad to see marks on my PM2's handle after switching it to Tip Up carry...
From my heart to yours,
Nigel
Brunei Darussalam

Current
Tenacious
Para Military 2

On the way
Endura 4
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I had carried my PM2 for 2 yrs the tip down right out of the box it presented me with a quicker draw and open..so I went with it..
I never worried the blade would pop open in my pocket...
the only negative I experienced was when I dip into my knife pocket my hand against the back of the blade and end of the spydie ramp which is not at all pleasant.

So I made the swicth to tip up carry and I feel so much better with this set up,
much more comfortable now if I reach in my pocket the back of the blade is facing in the right direction and my hand easily skates by the backside of the handle.
Made me wonder what took me so long ...I haven't experience any downside from this change!

One more note: When I decieded to make this move to tip for blade up carry I tried one these MXG shortie deep pocket clips I like this stonewashed Ti clip...but one thing about it ..it through off the ergonomics a little too much for me I needed the long shiny sypder clip back right away to give me better balance.
Last edited by RobDigi on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

koenigsegg wrote:
Spydersense wrote:
This would be the best!

I agree and the marks it leaves on the handle are annoying
Great idea D and I'd happily pay an extra dollar or two to cover the cost of a small torx key too. :cool:

The scuff mark on G-10 annoys me so much I don't change the original clip position. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Hailon

Post by Hailon »

Im glad people agree and its not just me... an totally think the clip in a baggie is a great option...

Although the majority prefer tip up so i see no reason the default position couldnt be changed.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

If I recall correctly Sal explained a while back that he and Eric prefer to carry the PM2 tip down and that's why they ship it like that.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Hailon

Post by Hailon »

Johnnie1801 wrote:If I recall correctly Sal explained a while back that he and Eric prefer to carry the PM2 tip down and that's why they ship it like that.
As much as i highly respect them both surely the people they are made for matter most.

They can get any knives they want in any configuration...
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

For me, the original tip-down set-up works quite nicely... the knife just seems to work best for me that way.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!