Spyderco Catcherman?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NoFair

Re: Spyderco Catcherman?

Post by NoFair »

JD Spydo wrote:
NoFair wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:Would be all over a Catcherman in full serrated H1 with yellow, green, or orange FRN handle. Would also love to see a partially serrated LC200N in eith er of the same colors.
Even the older AUS-8, full Spyderedged Catcherman that I've had for years is a super great food prep knife and for the life of me I can't figure why they didn't offer the Catcherman in full SE in those other blade steels is just beyond my thinking :confused: :confused:

I can't tell you how many non-knife people I've worked with that have tried to buy my AUS-8, full SE CATCHERMAN. It's just a great, functional, multi-purpose knife.
Imho the CE is much better for fish and meat.
OH I know what you're saying "No Fair" but have you ever tried one of the older AUS-8, full Spyderedged units before? Because there is just something really special about that model in SE I can assure you that you would love it.

Oh I like my two MBS-26 and two H-1 CE Catcherman models but there is something very special about that old AUS-8 SE CAtcherman.
Tried one, but for my use CE (or even PE) is better
outdoorman vojto

Post by outdoorman vojto »

Six fish killers!
Attachments
P1020786.JPG.jpg
P1020785.JPG.jpg
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:
NoFair wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:Would be all over a Catcherman in full serrated H1 with yellow, green, or orange FRN handle. Would also love to see a partially serrated LC200N in eith er of the same colors.
Even the older AUS-8, full Spyderedged Catcherman that I've had for years is a super great food prep knife and for the life of me I can't figure why they didn't offer the Catcherman in full SE in those other blade steels is just beyond my thinking :confused: :confused:

I can't tell you how many non-knife people I've worked with that have tried to buy my AUS-8, full SE CATCHERMAN. It's just a great, functional, multi-purpose knife.
OH I know what you're saying "No Fair" but have you ever tried one of the older AUS-8, full Spyderedged units before? Because there is just something really special about that model in SE I can assure you that you would love it.

Oh I like my two MBS-26 and two H-1 CE Catcherman models but there is something very special about that old AUS-8 SE CAtcherman.

This is a truth if I have ever read one. I let the USN version go, but once I used the SE version once, I knew it was a model I couldn't let go of.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Love this design and use frequently. Just picked up another one as a backup. Great bait and angler boat knife IMO.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I'm a sardine fisherman...any chance of a micro Catcherman? (Joke, dudes)
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
NoFair wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

This is a truth if I have ever read one. I let the USN version go, but once I used the SE version once, I knew it was a model I couldn't let go of.
Landon everyone that I've gotten to try the old AUS-8, full Spyderedged Catcherman have all told me that they really love that knife. The serration pattern on that old Catcherman is a low profile, less spikey type of serration that really floats through meat, fish, poultry or any other food item you need a knife for.

Oh how I would love either an H-1 or LC200N full Spyderedged Catcherman with the same serration pattern that the original AUS-8 Caterman model had. Once a few people would try them out they would fly off the shelves>> I'm sure of it.

You remember the old expression "TRY IT!! You'll Like it!!" That certainly applies to that AUS-8 full Spyderedged Catcherman.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BrianMcCord wrote:I'm a sardine fisherman...any chance of a micro Catcherman? (Joke, dudes)
All joking aside>> I would welcome a longer, bigger Catcherman model>> as long as they would also offer it in full SE ;) and to offer it in one of the Supersteels as well :cool:
outdoorman vojto

The Magnificent Seven
Attachments
P1020859.JPG.jpg
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

NoFair wrote:Imho the CE is much better for fish and meat.
Can't speak for meat but for fish I fully agree with you ... the Catcherman in CE is hard to beat!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Peter1960 wrote:
Can't speak for meat but for fish I fully agree with you ... the Catcherman in CE is hard to beat!
I never used my CE, but I can attest that the full SE is superior in the kitchen or at camp for working with firm skin vegetables like bell and jalapeno peppers.
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Peter1960 wrote:
I never used my CE, but I can attest that the full SE is superior in the kitchen or at camp for working with firm skin vegetables like bell and jalapeno peppers.
Spyderco I don't believe even realizes what an absolute jewel they had with that older AUS-8, Full Spyderedged Catcherman. I've been on a fervent hunt for a couple of back-up units to that knife for quite some time. Like I said earlier if they would offer that full SE Catcherman in the exact same serration pattern as they had on that old original AUS-8 full Spyderedged unit I truly believe they would have trouble keeping them in stock.

It's like the 701 Profiles it is truly one of Spyderco's best kept product secrets.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
Peter1960 wrote:
Spyderco I don't believe even realizes what an absolute jewel they had with that older AUS-8, Full Spyderedged Catcherman. I've been on a fervent hunt for a couple of back-up units to that knife for quite some time. Like I said earlier if they would offer that full SE Catcherman in the exact same serration pattern as they had on that old original AUS-8 full Spyderedged unit I truly believe they would have trouble keeping them in stock.

It's like the 701 Profiles it is truly one of Spyderco's best kept product secrets.
Yes and yes JD. Both are well kept secrets. I have a backup of each of these for a specific reason... they will be timeless and one day my son will need his own to be able to pass on the history
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The concept of a really efficient folding fish fillet knife is a brilliant one needless to say. The Spyderco Catcherman will at some point return I'm sure of it>> unless Spyderco comes out with a completely new folding fillet knife. However I don't see how you can beat the Catcherman concept.

I was disappointed at how lackluster the sales were on the USN nuclear green, H-1 Catcherman was about 6 years ago :confused: Maybe it's because people just want a normal factory issue Catcherman.

With the new nitrogen based LC200N blade steel getting more and more popular it wouldn't surprised me to see a Salt Series Catcherman with a nuclear yellow handle and hopefully another full Spyderedged Catcherman model.

Why the Catcherman wasn't a perpetual, permanent model like the POLICE, ENDURA, DELICA and HARPY models I'll just never understand. And it would be a great model to do modifications and improvements on. It will return at some point by swelling popular demand. I'm certain of it.
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

Wow, my main reason for finally signing up to post here (instead of lurking daily), was to ask for an lc200n fixed blade spyderco fillet knife.

After seeing this post, I'm thinking an lc200n catcherman folder would work just fine too. Although the folder would have a very slight disadvantage, as I plan to abuse and neglect this knife, and realize (O.C.D. ALERT!) the hardware and pivot screw won't be made out of lc200n. :D

If this blade is given the nod, by the powers that be, in lc200n steel (fixed or folder) I'm in for a user, spare, and one to gift immediately.

verses H-1 (edge retention wise) based off this well known chart.
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/rank ... pe.793481/
yep there's H-1 way down near the bottom (Cat7), just a tick above BD1 (Cat8).

Gifted a wade fishing buddy my spare lc200n mule team, and he just looked at me kinda funny and said "this ain't no fillet knife, but thanks". Told him to use it to cut bait till we salties can convince Sal this community wants/needs lc200n in a fillet knife.

The waterway fixed and folder will more than likely make it into the fold as soon as they are released as well.

Stay Salty
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Chris_P_Bacon wrote:Wow, my main reason for finally signing up to post here (instead of lurking daily), was to ask for an lc200n fixed blade spyderco fillet knife.

After seeing this post, I'm thinking an lc200n catcherman folder would work just fine too. Although the folder would have a very slight disadvantage, as I plan to abuse and neglect this knife, and realize (O.C.D. ALERT!) the hardware and pivot screw won't be made out of lc200n. :D

If this blade is given the nod, by the powers that be, in lc200n steel (fixed or folder) I'm in for a user, spare, and one to gift immediately
First of all "Chris" welcome to the Spyderville Forum :) And I will give you an immediate "high five" on the idea of an LC200N Catcherman :cool:

But as in most requests I also ask that they do a full Spyderedged version as well. Like I've tried to tell a lot of these guys about the old full Spyderedged model of years gone by which was one of the older AUS-8 Catcherman models in full Spyderedge with the original serration pattern that particular knife was sold with.

LC200N has already proven to be a great steel for plain edged units and I'm very anxious to see how it stacks up with a full Spyderedge. I have almost every variant of the Catcherman ever made and it is a great knife for outdoor and kitchen uses both. I would not sell any of my Catcherman models because I truly do use most of them. Welcome again to the Forum!! and keep pounding the drums for a newer/better Catcherman model ;)
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

Thanks for the warm welcome JD,

Spyderedge's, not sure why I've avoided those for so long. I think now (looking back) I had this idea I was loosing valuable smoooooth cutting edge. That along with a perception of tedious sharpening of all those little teeth. Or heck, even that I just didn't need it. As I fillet, and skin like it's some sort of race with fishing buds. We're competitive with everything, tracking most fish, biggest fish, all of it, makes it more fun.

When one guy isn't catching anything, we look at him and ask in a heavy southern accent "u mus don't like to eat fish, huh"? Then as soon as he looks away, give him the ol' bump his line trick, and turn away, and laugh when his head swivels at break neck speed. :D

Anyway, back on topic. I assume you're a fellow fisherman? Ya? Can you share/enlighten me as to how you take advantage of the spyder edge as it relates to fishing? I can visualize it sawing through bones for cut bait with ease. But other than that?
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Chris_P_Bacon wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome JD,

Spyderedge's, not sure why I've avoided those for so long.

Anyway, back on topic. I assume you're a fellow fisherman? Ya? Can you share/enlighten me as to how you take advantage of the spyder edge as it relates to fishing? I can visualize it sawing through bones for cut bait with ease. But other than that?
Well going back to 1995 when I got my very first Spyder which was a full Spyderedged, GIN-1, Stainless handled MARINER model. The main reason I got it was because after reading several articles in the major knife magazines I was wanting a very high quality serrated blade to test out with my cutting duties. I had two buddies at the time who both worked in Sporting Good stores and they told me that Spyderco was the top dog in that category and I've never regretted it nor have I ever looked back.

It wasn't too long after I got the MARINER I latched on to a couple of Catcherman models>> with one being fully serrated. The Spyderco AUS-8 Catcherman as far as I know is the only one that they made in full SE. But the pattern on it is somewhat different than on most of their models. You bet I've used it fishing and hunting both. I really love the Catcherman model and why it got discontinued still kind of baffles me. I just wish at the time they would have offered more variants of it.

Spyderco may have something up their sleeve and might have a new folding fillet knife to bring to the main line up. If not I do hope that they do more Sprint Runs if nothing else. The advantages of the Spyderedge are almost too numerous to mention. But they do cut through bones and skin better than any plain edge I've ever owned. Spyderedges also go through rope and cordage much better than plain edges do IMO. Just to name a few.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Vivi wrote:Every time I see one of these I think it would be an awesome EDC. Longer blade than my Pacific Salts, but lighter? And a thinner tip? Sign me up for any sprints.
That's a great point you make there VIVI because on many occasions I've had the opportunity to use a Catcherman as an EDC folder>> and I did well with both of them. I've wondered for years what a Catcherman would be like with a Titanium handle??
Slippery?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bill1170 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Vivi wrote:Every time I see one of these I think it would be an awesome EDC. Longer blade than my Pacific Salts, but lighter? And a thinner tip? Sign me up for any sprints.
That's a great point you make there VIVI because on many occasions I've had the opportunity to use a Catcherman as an EDC folder>> and I did well with both of them. I've wondered for years what a Catcherman would be like with a Titanium handle??
Slippery?
Well that's interesting because actually that hasn't been my personal experience with titanium handles. I had two user models with Ti handles and I had good grip/purchase with both of them. I had the Ti Salsa and the Ti ATR which I EDCed both for a while and I didn't experience "slippery when wet" with either one of those. Maybe handle designed played a part in it? But compared to those stainless handles I've always had better results with Titanium handles>> at least the Spyderco models I've used before.
outdoorman vojto

All 6 versions.
Attachments
P1030283.JPG.jpg
P1030282.JPG.jpg