Manix 2 51200

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Manix 2 51200

Post by Evil D »

Tucson Tom wrote:
I notice one change (a CQI thing I presume) and it is a good thing. The action is very smooth and looking at the part of the blade that the ball rides on while the blade is in motion, I see that it is crested, not cylindrical like my M4 manix I have laying here next to it. I first noticed this kind of cresting on the Native 5 I got not long ago (the green G10 without liners and S90V). Not only is this crested, but it looks polished. Very nice.

Could you by chance post a pic of what you're talking about?

You guys are wearing me down on this one. It's a lot more of a want than a need though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
I notice one change (a CQI thing I presume) and it is a good thing. The action is very smooth and looking at the part of the blade that the ball rides on while the blade is in motion, I see that it is crested, not cylindrical like my M4 manix I have laying here next to it. I first noticed this kind of cresting on the Native 5 I got not long ago (the green G10 without liners and S90V). Not only is this crested, but it looks polished. Very nice.

Could you by chance post a pic of what you're talking about?

You guys are wearing me down on this one. It's a lot more of a want than a need though.

What he said
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Only for you Evil-D ..... You have no idea what I had to go through to do this, having never posted a photo here before. And amusingly I found a post by you on the tech support forum that had the tips on how to upload a photo. So if anything goes wrong, it is your fault.

So here are three knives. From left to right are my Native 5, the new Manix with 52100, and my Manix with M4
knives.jpg
The native shows the crest on the back of the blade clearly. Now that I am looking closely at the new Manix at the back of the blade I am not sure that it is crested in the same way -- maybe just polished. And perhaps the entire blade was DLC coated and just this part (and a few other surfaces) had to have the DLC ground off and then the surfaces polished. In other words, I may be "all wet", smoking crack, full of baloney, ....

It is a nice knife at any event, and now I know how to put photos on the forum apparently, thanks Evil D.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hmm, I just wasn't sure what you meant by "created" but it is interesting that the DLC is removed from the tang.
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

And since I am all excited about figuring out how to put photos on the forum, here is the new knife along with my Jade M4.
manixes.jpg
DayMan_aAaaa

Post by DayMan_aAaaa »

Are the liners skeletonized?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

DayMan_aAaaa wrote:Are the liners skeletonized?
Yes, they most certainly are.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Tucson Tom wrote:
DayMan_aAaaa wrote:Are the liners skeletonized?
They most certainly are.
Excellent :spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for the pics, Tucson. I'm a little jealous though, because mine left Shreveport Monday night and is scheduled to get here, a six hour drive away, on Friday, while yours, a 16 hour drive away (assuming you're in Tucson :) ) is already there. OK, I know there's a non-stop flight from Shreveport to Tucson...but still, it's never taken me 4 days to get stuff from KW before.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

DougC-3 wrote:Thanks for the pics, Tucson. I'm a little jealous though, because mine left Shreveport Monday night and is scheduled to get here, a six hour drive away, on Friday, while yours, a 16 hour drive away (assuming you're in Tucson :) ) is already there. OK, I know there's a non-stop flight from Shreveport to Tucson...but still, it's never taken me 4 days to get stuff from KW before.
It is probably (as we speak) at some shipping hub in Minneapolis getting loaded onto a plane to head back your way.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Aha, it finally got to town and should be out for delivery in the morning.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MCM wrote:Should be seeing this one soon. Grey g-10, coated blade. Just a heads up.

Since you seem to kinda be in the know, what are the chances of this coming out in a non DLC version?
~David
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

I love mine and want a 2nd. Do you think they'll release a satin blade version? Forgive me if this has been asked already.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sirens1 wrote:I love mine and want a 2nd. Do you think they'll release a satin blade version? Forgive me if this has been asked already.
You could email KnifeWorks (help@knifeworks.com) to find out and let us know since it's their exclusive.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

RamZar wrote:
Sirens1 wrote:I love mine and want a 2nd. Do you think they'll release a satin blade version? Forgive me if this has been asked already.
You could email KnifeWorks (help@knifeworks.com) to find out and let us know since it's their exclusive.
Good idea, I will update as needed.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The black liners actually make it look really nice with the DLC. I'm really surprised at how much I like just the looks of it.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I had no idea what DLC was until last night -- I figured it was just some trade name for an ill defined and probably proprietary coating. "Diamond Like Carbon" is what I found out doing some reading. After what I read about it, I view it with new respect. And I figure Spyderco does it right -- or has it done right. I saw a statement that Spyderco chose it because it was the toughest coating they could find, or words to that effect. I am liking this knife all the more all the time. My viewpoint on black coated knives may be changing as well. Up to now I figured they were for the wanna be tactical types and mall ninjas.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Received mine today (along with BBS M390 Para3) what a fantastic piece, just when I think they can't do a finer version of this knife, they pull it off again. The example I got is absolutely perfect in every way, now I just need to work it into my rotation, can't decide which one to carry next. In the last month I've picked up the jade/satin, jade/DLC and the 52100, crazy times.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Mine landed today.

Wow. :eek: Very impressed by this one. :cool: Perfect F&F. The all black and gray is pretty dang sharp looking. A Manix finally finds its way back into my pocket. :D :spyder:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Does the dlc cover the whole blade including the pivot? And will the dlc fully protect the covered part against rust? I'm seriously thinking of getting this.