Caly 3.5 Slipit

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paracelsus

Caly 3.5 Slipit

Post by Paracelsus »

I started a thread recently about Urban Sprints, and the subject of a proposed "Metropolitan" model came up,
which would be based on the Spy-DK chassis and would be between the Urban and UKPK in size.
I wasn't aware of the Metropolitan, but I think it's a great idea, as I'm a huge fan of the other Slipits in this line.

So, while we're at it, why not extend the line to a Caly 3.5 sized Slipit?

Has this been previously considered? Would people be into it? I would.
Where would you want it made?
What steel? and,
What should we call it?

For me:

Golden (thin grind please), CTS-BD1N, "Megalopolis."

And, while I'm dreaming:
Spine profile of the UKPK Drop-point, and edge profile of the Leaf-shape.

On a somewhat related note, notice that the blade stock and backsprings on the Slipits get progressively thinner as the blade length increases.
Is this only to give the shorter springs more mass?
timlara

Re: Caly 3.5 Slipit

Post by timlara »

Since I love the UKPK, I would certainly be interested in this, however I would guess that the market might be limited for a slipit with a blade over 3" just due to the silly blade length laws that tend to go hand-in-hand with the non-locking laws.

Personally, though, I actually really enjoy using slipits for my EDC tasks just because I don't need a lock for most of the light work I do, and it's really convenient not having to disengage a lock when I'm working with gloves, etc.
Tim
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

timlara wrote:I would guess that the market might be limited for a slipit with a blade over 3" just due to the silly blade length laws that tend to go hand-in-hand with the non-locking laws.
This makes sense.

I don't live in such a restricted jurisdiction, and I've always preferred a locking folder with 3" blade.
The Urban and UKPK, however, have shown me that for the vast majority of cutting tasks, I don't miss the lock,
and the operation of these tools is dead-simple.
A 3.5 version, with the extra cutting edge, would make a **** of a picnic/barbecue knife.

Also, if this thing came out of Taichung with CTS-XHP, I'd pay the premium.
Nate

Post by Nate »

+1 to all of what Tim said, including that I would be interested, but...

I also imagine that if a Caly 3.5 lw (locking) is truly in-the-works, a slippie model model of the 3.5 as well might be too much. Given the choice between the two, at 3.5" I'd take the one that locks.
:spyder:
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

Nate wrote: I also imagine that if a Caly 3.5 lw (locking) is truly in-the-works, a slippie model model of the 3.5 as well might be too much. Given the choice between the two, at 3.5" I'd take the one that locks.
I hadn't heard of this until now, but I only joined the forum recently.

Despite my general aversion to backlocks, I could get behind a Caly 3.5 LW, provided:
-the price was right, and
-it was screw construction.

I love the Caly form factor, I wish they could cram a compression- or liner-lock in there, but I see why that would be tricky.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Paracelsus wrote: I love the Caly form factor, I wish they could cram a compression- or liner-lock in there, but I see why that would be tricky.
Nooooooooooo! :eek: :D

As a lefty I must protest, but I think I'm safe and it will be a back lock. (I can deal with righty compression and liner/frame locks, but prefer to avoid them.)

Sal dropped a teaser here recently, I imagine it's probably a way off:

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... tart=11040
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

Nate wrote: Nooooooooooo! :eek: :D
Don't worry, it'll never happen!
Nate wrote: Sal dropped a teaser here recently, I imagine it's probably a way off:
VG10... backlock... probably not my cup, but I'm sure this will do well.
Wonder what the scale texture will be.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Paracelsus wrote: Wonder what the scale texture will be.
That's a great question. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love the UKPK, but I don't think I'd be into a 3.5 Slipit.

I actually think the Urban blade length might be better than the UKPK, and going down under 2.5" might also be nice, because I generally carry slippies in places that don't allow locks, which usually means shorter is better.
mayong

Post by mayong »

Thread necro says: I'd love to see a Caly 3.5 slipit in the style of the UKPK. Big fan of the Caly 3.5 for all the reasons above; such a large and functional blade in a small form factor. Choil and wire clip are icing on the cake.

I also love the UKPK for light duty work as it's super quick to disassemble and clean. Plus it's incredibly light, not much to rust with no liners, an awesome slicer, and easy to open and close without the lock. And I really dig the classic waffle design of the scales. I didn't think much of the UKPK at first as it gets lost in the noise of flashier models, but I've really fallen for it after owning and carrying one.

A screw construction Caly 3.5 Slipit combines the best of both models and as OP points out would be a great picnic / food prep knife. Grey scales, the UKPK waffle texture, and LC200N, please!
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich