Best budget blades ($50 and under)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Best budget blades ($50 and under)

Post by Doc Dan »

The Spyderco Ambitious, Tenacious, and Persistence are all pretty good knives that sell well under $50.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Meat man wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Here is a question for you Vivi and others on this topic: Is it possible for a knife company to make a quality knife with VG10 stainless steel as the blade material, that comes in under 50 dollars, or, will it always be more expensive than that? Say a VG10 blade and FRN or related handle, perhaps G10, that is no more than fifty dollars as the retail price. Is that doable?

I have a Camillus sailor knife with marlin spike, titanium carbonitride coated VG-10 blade and G-10 handles that I bought new for 30$
Meat Man, firstly, I don't remember if I greeted you but welcome to the forum and thank you for your cool and great posts.

Secondly, I was wondering about that knife, from Camillus. Is it a very good one?
SpyderEdgeForever

Everyone, I also highly recommend knives and tools made by Hultafors. They are a Swedish company founded around 1883 and they make excellent-quality knives, rulers, and all sorts of tools.

Now, take note that they do use steel and materials that are not from Sweden; some of their knives for example will use Japanese and German carbon and stainless steel, which is still high quality. For example, they have a really excellent fixed blade sheath knife that has a blade of quality German stainless steel and the handle has Santoprene rubber and some form of Zytel or Polypropylene plastic, and a plastic sheath, and I think it is made in Taiwan. But Taiwan can make good quality knives, as all of you likely know.

They are very rugged and bush-craft worthy tools, as well.

Here is their website:

http://www.hultafors.com/

This one, for example, is the Hultafors Rope Knife. It uses German stainless steel and is beautiful and solidly made.

http://www.hultafors.com/hand-tools/kni ... fe-rkr-gh/

You can find this at online knife stores and outlets for around 20 dollars, perhaps under or a little above that price.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Everyone, I also highly recommend knives and tools made by Hultafors. They are a Swedish company founded around 1883 and they make excellent-quality knives, rulers, and all sorts of tools.

Now, take note that they do use steel and materials that are not from Sweden; some of their knives for example will use Japanese and German carbon and stainless steel, which is still high quality. For example, they have a really excellent fixed blade sheath knife that has a blade of quality German stainless steel and the handle has Santoprene rubber and some form of Zytel or Polypropylene plastic, and a plastic sheath, and I think it is made in Taiwan. But Taiwan can make good quality knives, as all of you likely know.

They are very rugged and bush-craft worthy tools, as well.

Here is their website:

http://www.hultafors.com/

This one, for example, is the Hultafors Rope Knife. It uses German stainless steel and is beautiful and solidly made.

http://www.hultafors.com/hand-tools/kni ... fe-rkr-gh/

You can find this at online knife stores and outlets for around 20 dollars, perhaps under or a little above that price.
excellent brand,
they're the closest thing to Mora and share many things, in fact they are the two most popular "budget fixed blade" companies in Europe.

I had 2 knives if theirs, and have 4 Mora now, both excellent products and gems of the affordable blades world

;)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Here is a question for you Vivi and others on this topic: Is it possible for a knife company to make a quality knife with VG10 stainless steel as the blade material, that comes in under 50 dollars, or, will it always be more expensive than that? Say a VG10 blade and FRN or related handle, perhaps G10, that is no more than fifty dollars as the retail price. Is that doable?

I have a Camillus sailor knife with marlin spike, titanium carbonitride coated VG-10 blade and G-10 handles that I bought new for 30$
Meat Man, firstly, I don't remember if I greeted you but welcome to the forum and thank you for your cool and great posts.

Secondly, I was wondering about that knife, from Camillus. Is it a very good one?

Thanks! It's great to be here!

I actually haven't used it much but it seems to be well made - very smooth opening action, solid lockup with zero blade play. The marlinspike locks solidly as well.
The blade came shaving sharp, edge bevels smooth and even. Nice grippy G10 handles.
As I said I haven't used it much but it seems like a very good knife for the money.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Japan made Centofante 3's sell for under $75. I'd imagine if they removed the palladium inlay and found a way to convince japan to let them use VG10 on a chinese constructed knife, getting it under $50 would be possible. It would be even easier if the company producing the knife had lower QC standards than Spyderco, which can eat into profit.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

For $52 The Bestech Swordfish has been Awesome!
It's a flipper with D2.
JT

Post by JT »

I guess I sinned..

got myself a CS Pendleton mini hunter.
Main reason was the steel, VG1. I tested it out whittling some seasoned birch log, and no broblemo, still shaves hair.

The handle is.. well.. meh. I kinda like the rubbery kraton(?) since it gives you a secure grip, but on the other hand... maybe I'll make a wooden handle later. Seems to have a full rat tail tang.
The sheath is crap, no retention whatsoever. The button strap holds it in place, without it it falls out of the sheath.

But for about 30USD you get a Japan VG1 steel, and a handy little full tang FB, great value for the money.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
SpyderEdgeForever

Would any of you get a modern Remington fixed blade or folding knife, or not? I have seen some of their designs and some look pretty good.

They are under 50 dollars. Some down in the 10-20 range.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Would any of you get a modern Remington fixed blade or folding knife, or not? I have seen some of their designs and some look pretty good.

I was tempted as well but am skeptical.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
npad69

Post by npad69 »

for me the best one is my most used spydie: the santoku.
a couple of bucks over the $50 ceiling but you really can't beat the value
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Would any of you get a modern Remington fixed blade or folding knife, or not? I have seen some of their designs and some look pretty good.

generally speaking, knives made from/for gun brands (Colt, Smith&Wesson, Browning...) are Chinese OEM blades with bad tolerances, quality and cheap steel and materials,

hardly ever reliable blades and good users.

Just my experience, better go with "cheap and value" trusted knives from known companies:

Victorinox, Mora, Hultafors, Opinel, Spyderco, Buck, Gerber, CRKT, Kershaw, SOG and Cold Steel for the lower cost blades, both fixed and folding
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I have a Remington folder, a two-bladed slipjoint. It's definitely a cheaply made knife. I don't know who makes Remington's knives or if they have a higher quality line, but for me I'd much rather go with something like Kershaw, Buck, Cold Steel, etc. if you want to get an inexpensive knife.
The saying "You get what you pay for" is applicable here.

Buy a ten dollar knife, and you will get a ten dollar knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ThePeacent wrote:

generally speaking, knives made from/for gun brands (Colt, Smith&Wesson, Browning...) are Chinese OEM blades with bad tolerances, quality and cheap steel and materials,

hardly ever reliable blades and good users.

Just my experience, better go with "cheap and value" trusted knives from known companies:

Victorinox, Mora, Hultafors, Opinel, Spyderco, Buck, Gerber, CRKT, Kershaw, SOG and Cold Steel for the lower cost blades, both fixed and folding
That's a pretty good list of decent, inexpensive manufacturers.
Also, AG Russell has some nice looking knives in the 50 to 60$ and under price range.
- Connor

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Some budget under $50 blades that I consider good, or at least decent
Compared to a Pacific Salt for size

Fixed Blades 1

Fixed Blades 2

Budget Folders 1

Budget Folders 2

Budget Folders 3

Budget Folders 4

Traditionals