Knife Addiction

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Knife Addiction

Post by Evil D »

dtoad wrote:
Evil D wrote:Not so much an obsession but definitely eats up a big chunk of my hobby time.
LOL, I hear ya David.

So let me ask, 17,000 posts to a knife forum wouldn't be considered a obsession?
Oh.... maybe you're onto something :o
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

You have an impresive Millie collection, at least you stick to one model

Knife addiction? I don't know what you're talking about :D , we might share a mild condition, otherwise we wouldn't be here

I think you are missing one of the three S125V ever done, probably Sal has at least one, see what you can do :D

I only have 7 Millies so far and I think it's already too much :D , unfortunately I have other models as well and from other manufacturers

RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Thanks for posting these interesting links. Would love to see that Mercado collection. Wow
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Gsg9 wrote:You have an impresive Millie collection, at least you stick to one model
Well kinda. :) thanks for the post man!!!
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Evil D wrote:
dtoad wrote:
Evil D wrote:Not so much an obsession but definitely eats up a big chunk of my hobby time.
LOL, I hear ya David.

So let me ask, 17,000 posts to a knife forum wouldn't be considered a obsession?
Oh.... maybe you're onto something :o
Right on, funny.....
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

RobDigi wrote:Interesting read recently:
Great article, nice to know, were not alone :)

• You think about shopping/buying things all the time.
• You shop/buy things in order to change your mood.
• You shop/buy so much that it negatively affects your daily obligations (e.g., school and work).
• You feel you have to shop/buy more and more to obtain the same satisfaction as before.
• You have decided to shop/buy less but have not been able to do so.
• You feel bad if you for some reason are prevented from shopping/buying things.
• You shop/buy so much that it has impaired your well-being.

Nicotine, caffeine, alcohol … can we add knives to the list of addictive substances? No one needs more than 3 or 4 knives – so why is it that so many of us end up with hundreds of them? In a 2015 KnifeNews Survey, 77% of respondents agreed that “buying knives is like an addiction.” But can a passion for knives develop into a real addiction?

According to experts, our brains register all pleasure in the same way, with a release of the neurotransmitter called dopamine in the cerebral cortex. Addiction experts call this the brain’s ‘pleasure center’. You’ll experience a similar response whether you’re taking a drug, eating a good meal, or yes, even buying a new knife. We’re all familiar with the thrill of making a new purchase and the anticipation of its arrival. Finally seeing that “Out for Delivery” status update and finding that package on our doorstep gives us a rush.

There are no documented studies on knife addiction, but research into shopping addiction continues to grow. A 2006 study from Stanford University found that roughly 6% of Americans, about 17 million people, have a shopping addiction. And because a shopping addiction, unlike addictions to nicotine, alcohol, or other drugs, doesn’t directly cause physical problems, it can be harder to recognize the danger and make the mental leap necessary to break the habit. The medical community acknowledges that these addictions can have just as harmful long-term consequences, though. The latest edition of the Diagnostic Statistic Manual included changes to its subsections on addiction, incorporating non-substance-based afflictions like shopping addictions.

Dr. Cecilie S. Andreassen, Professor of Clinical Psychology at the University of Bergen in Norway, developed the Bergen Shopping Addiction Scale (BSAS) in 2014 to help screen subjects for shopping addiction. In an interview with the University, she says that “modern technology has made shopping extremely accessible and convenient, with the potential of sending problematic shopping into overdrive – especially along with sociocultural factors such as social media, credit cards, and advanced marketing.”

Knife enthusiasts can certainly relate to that. When we’re ready to purchase, online and physical dealers offer impressive selections, competitive prices, and speedy shipping at the click of a button or swipe of a card.

Nobody wants these modern conveniences to go away. They contribute to our growing knife community and, recently, to a recovering knife market. But this accessibility and speed can facilitate shopping addiction for those already susceptible to it.

In testing the BSAS with over 25,000 subjects, Dr. Andreassen and her team found extroverts are more likely to give into shopping impulses. The most vulnerable age group appears to be late adolescence and early adulthood – an age range of about 18 – 40 years old.

The best practice for anybody worried that they might have an addiction is to be aware of the warning signs, as outlined by Dr. Anreassen and her team:
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I share your feelings dtoad. It is an addiction, though one I consider less destructive than some other vices I could fill my time and resources with. I see many desirable Millies in that terrific picture. Some of mine are shown below. I choose to spread my addictive tendencies to multiple models that appeal to me (Caly family, Manix family, Dragonfly family to name a few). Hope you get your hands on that elusive S125V model and share some of those outstanding images with us here.

6 pictured, some gone and some new ones added. 10 Millies in total currently
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Knife addiction. In the VAST majority of instances, no. First, a definition of terms. From the American Society of Addiction Medicine:

“Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.”

Using “addiction” in the colloquial sense does not a knife addict make. Many people on this forum are passionate about knives and many of those are collectors. This doesn’t make them addicts in the real sense of the word.

One must be cautious in applying a general notion to specific behaviors. The human mind is a complicated thing and not all behaviors, strange as they may be to others, are harmful or addictive.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

This thread makes me think of Walden. What was the line again? Something like "...I had a rock I used as a paper weight, but that gave me one more thing to dust and keep clean, so I threw out the rock"

Growing up exposed to a severe hoarder makes me re-evaluate my collections of objects at least bi-annually. At one point I had 200 Spydercos, then paired it down to 4...a Para 2, Pacific Salt, Aqua Salt, and Police 3. Probably own about 15 now.
:unicorn
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

xceptnl wrote:I share your feelings dtoad. It is an addiction, though one I consider less destructive than some other vices I could fill my time and resources with. I see many desirable Millies in that terrific picture. Some of mine are shown below. I choose to spread my addictive tendencies to multiple models that appeal to me (Caly family, Manix family, Dragonfly family to name a few). Hope you get your hands on that elusive S125V model and share some of those outstanding images with us here.
Landon, how you doing, you give up on IG?

Thanks for the post and pic. Hang on to that 390, they not getting any easier to find. I kinda still blame this all on your Foliage D2. lol
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dtoad wrote:
xceptnl wrote:I share your feelings dtoad. It is an addiction, though one I consider less destructive than some other vices I could fill my time and resources with. I see many desirable Millies in that terrific picture. Some of mine are shown below. I choose to spread my addictive tendencies to multiple models that appeal to me (Caly family, Manix family, Dragonfly family to name a few). Hope you get your hands on that elusive S125V model and share some of those outstanding images with us here.
Landon, how you doing, you give up on IG?

Thanks for the post and pic. Hang on to that 390, they not getting any easier to find. I kinda still blame this all on your Foliage D2. lol
I'm not done with IG, just on hiatus. Save my pics for the forums almost exclusively now. The M390 is a gem and I have admittedly only carried it a very few times. As for the D2, I will gladly take it back off of your hands to lighten my conscience for troubling you with the Millie addiction and to ease your suffering. Perhaps you have a CE all black with the blocky jimping you would like to let me test drive? :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Skoalart

Post by Skoalart »

That is really amazing, I don't know if I could contain myself if I were to see that collection in person! I just purchased my 3rd millie this morning. I will be the proud owner of one of the Bento Box Exclusives with smurf blue g-10 and CPM-S90v this Tuesday. That will put me at 7 Spyderco's. The c36 has taken over my life. I never leave home without one. I started out with some all-stars (CPM-M4 and CPM-S110V) and now I can't let go. I have not only immediately come to love the ergonomics and design of the military, I am playing with one constantly, stropping and resharpening pretty much daily. I just purchased some g-10, now to attempt to make some scales entirely by hand. I am hoping this will cull my habit by giving me some extra options for the time being. I used to be happy just accumulating knives of any and all variety. Then I narrowed my focus to more thought out brands such as Kershaw/Zero Tolerance, Benchmade, so forth. Now Spyderco has trapped me. I still buy the occasional Kershaw while I am at Academy, but this brand has got so much of my attention it is a little wild. I have 7 tabs pulled up in my browser and all but one is about Spyderco Military. I aspire to have a massive and thorough collection of millies, but I can't do it overnight. These damned things aren't cheap. I try every blade steel with due diligence. I give enough time to make my own clear and thoughtful decisions. I ask questions to learn. I honestly feel like I have been taking a college course in this company. I am just barely scratching the surface to boot. One of my goals in life is to make knives professionally. There would be no better company to learn knifes from than this one. I was terrified when I bought my first Endura for 72 bucks a mere 4 years ago. I never thought I could find a difference between that and one of the 30 gas stations specials I had. Now I don't even tarnish the top of my display with that rubbish. It is also not like I have any plans on letting go of any of my knives. I really want to have all of the one's I like. Knives have been such a huge part of my life I don't want to encounter a problem with knives other than storage space and the money I have spent on them. I have never wanted to collect anything other than scars, tattoos, memories, and bladed things.

Well now that I have rambled on I just want to thank the like minded people of this forum for even dropping a collection pic like that. I have to edit all my photos because even the lowest quality picture is too big for here. So I will upload a pic ASAP!
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Molle Ninja wrote:
dtoad wrote:Do you find Spyderco Knifes are addictive?
Missing the Red G10/m390? ;)
Molle, don't we wish, I like your way of thinking :o

I had to build a red, black coated S30v to fulfill my needs.I will post. Scales by Aramis Akhmedov. Love it.
Last edited by dtoad on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

dtoad wrote:
Molle Ninja wrote:
dtoad wrote:Do you find Spyderco Knifes are addictive?
Missing the Red G10/m390? ;)
Scales by Aramis Akhmedov. Love it.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Skoalart wrote: That will put me at 7 Spyderco's. The c36 has taken over my life. I never leave home without one. I started out with some all-stars (CPM-M4 and CPM-S110V) and now I can't let go. I have not only immediately come to love the ergonomics and design of the military, I am playing with one constantly, stropping and resharpening pretty much daily. I just purchased some g-10, now to attempt to make some scales entirely by hand.

Well now that I have rambled on I just want to thank the like minded people of this forum for even dropping a collection pic like that. I have to edit all my photos because even the lowest quality picture is too big for here. So I will upload a pic ASAP!
Thank you for sharing, would love to see a pic and future posts....
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Gsg9 wrote:You have an impresive Millie collection, at least you stick to one model

Knife addiction? I don't know what you're talking about :D , we might share a mild condition, otherwise we wouldn't be here

I think you are missing one of the three S125V ever done, probably Sal has at least one, see what you can do :D

I only have 7 Millies so far and I think it's already too much :D , unfortunately I have other models as well and from other manufacturers
Gsg9, Its a 1 in a million chance to locate one of those S125V, but its a chance, right :)

Nice selection on those 7 you do own. That newest CQI S110V is one I have yet to own.Thanks for the post man.....
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

I've come to accept my condition...I am finding it difficult this time of year...I usually need a couple weeks to bond with a new knife before the thoughts start drifting to the next "need." Last week I got 2 new knifes, one that I ordered the other a pre order pm2 back to back consecutive days...having to carry one by day the other by night ...Wait a sec this isn't a KAA meeting, sorry guys and gals...all good here! Haha no complaints
Strider

Post by Strider »

original picture isn't showing up for me. too bad