Kopa Sprint C92P

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Kopa Sprint C92P

Post by SG89 »

I arrived to the spyderco game very late and missed out on the original Kopas. The original Kopas were very beautiful and this new sprint is more edc-geared IMO.
FFG VG10, stainless steel handles, interesting clip, roughly DF2 sized, backlock, Boye dent, choil, priced below $120, somewhat slim overall profile... idk seems worth checking out especially since an original Kopa is out of my price range.
I know you all are hyped about the Caly Jr LW Superblue sprint but is anyone planning on picking up the new Kopa?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
xceptnl

Re: Kopa Sprint C92P

Post by xceptnl »

Spydergirl88 wrote:I arrived to the spyderco game very late and missed out on the original Kopas. The original Kopas were very beautiful and this new sprint is more edc-geared IMO.
FFG VG10, stainless steel handles, interesting clip, roughly DF2 sized, backlock, Boye dent, choil, priced below $120, somewhat slim overall profile... idk seems worth checking out especially since an original Kopa is out of my price range.
I know you all are hyped about the Caly Jr LW Superblue sprint but is anyone planning on picking up the new Kopa?
I am Spydergirl. I came to the Spyderco game too late to get reasonably priced Kopas (and Kiwis), but with diligent searching I have found a few here and there. I have a solid stainless Kiwi (2 in fact) and I like the feel of it in pocket (the solid stainless models were more contoured and rounded than the models with bolsters and other handle materials). My hope is that this Kopa will have a similar feel. I haven't seen images of the new Kopa clip, but I assume it is like the first generation one. Roman is a big Kopa fan he can share more knowledge I'm sure.

added some eye candy for you.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The SS Kopa sprint has a clip? Hadn't seen that yet.

I have one on pre-order but I've been thinking about cancelling. I've wanted a Kopa for awhile now but I've envisioned getting one like Landon's pictured. The SS model just seems a little vanilla in comparison. I'm sure it'll be a nice knife but SS knives don't really thrill me. It may end up being a sleeper so I might go ahead and get it anyway.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Per Catalog, seventeenth Kopa will be clipless.
Believe or not Kopa Cocobolo was sold for $120. And I bought mine on sale for $99.99. :) It was one of least expensive. Still beautiful wood. Mine carried almost every day again after Landon's comments.
I was disappointed with SS at the beginning, but probably will buy, even I do not have full set anymore.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dang BHQ description says it has a clip. ugh.
Spydergirl88
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm interested even though in general I'm not into metal handles. I also missed out on the older ones and want to try it out since it's a classic and I carry smaller blades a lot.
:spyder:
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I’m in two minds about this one. I have a Black Quince Kopa that I am very fond of.

If I compare this new plain Jane Kopa to a stainless Dragonfly (that I also have), I’m not sure which I would use more ... the ergos of the Kopa are better for me but unlike the FRN versions, the stainless Dragonfly has no jimping which I prefer. The Dragonfly has thinner blade stock that could be the decider. The clip or lack thereof doesn’t feature in my decision on these knives, I can live with or without.

Versus the similarly sized Lil’ Lum, as fond as I am of the regular sized and large Chinese, the Lil’ one just doesn’t work for me and I’d take the Kopa every time even though the Lum has much thinner blade stock and G10 that isn’t going to scratch up in your pocket.

In my mind, not having any decoration makes this Kopa an ordinary small utility / edc knife rather than a “gent’s” or special occasions knife. Unless I had the whole Kopa series which I don’t, this new Kopa isn’t a collectors piece though it’s pricing might suggest otherwise. I might end up getting the sprint but I won’t be devastated if I miss it.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

SInce i have all 16 of the O.G. Kopas i've "got to" get the new one as well, even though a was pretty disappointed to see that much of a simplification/budgetification of the original beautiful bolstered design.
When i heard of it coming out with stainless handle i envisioned it like my Photoshopped pic below..

Last edited by Larry_Mott on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Dang BHQ description says it has a clip. ugh.
I've had one on pre-order from KC since they were first put up back in December. It's kind of a must have for me, as I have the original 16. Have planned on getting another, if possible, to have engraved. However, that's assuming the illustration in the 2018 Spyderco catalog, which shows both sides and shows no clip on either, is correct. Hoping that's the case, but both Spyderco and BHQ have made mistakes in pictures and descriptions in the past, so I guess we'll have to wait for confirmation.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Could this be a test scenario by Spyderco? If the knife is well made and gets a good reception then they can start to make more and use different materials in the future
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Could this be a test scenario by Spyderco? If the knife is well made and gets a good reception then they can start to make more and use different materials in the future
I'm quite hopeful that could be the case. It would be perfectly fine with me if Spyderco decided to introduce another array of Kopas (or Kiwis) in the latest generation of handle materials.

Even better, if they chose to make this a new platform for steel testing in folders.... Don't get me wrong, I love the Kopa enough to enjoy it in VG-10, but I can dream right?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SG89

Post by SG89 »

lots of Moki-made sprints coming out... perhaps testing their abilities?
Spydergirl88
sal

Post by sal »

Actually the new Kopa is the result of comments by Paul. I'm looking forward to seeing some engraved pieces.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

sal wrote:Actually the new Kopa is the result of comments by Paul. I'm looking forward to seeing some engraved pieces.

sal
Sal, can you confirm this version is clipless? Thanks!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Does anyone remember The Deacon Stretch thread? I wonder if this knife has anything to do with the aforementioned thread
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sooooo does anyone have the new Kopa? What are your thoughts?
Spydergirl88
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I purchased it and it’s the only kopa I’ve ever bought. Not having an opinion of the others I live this knife enforcer whatbit is. Classyyyy no pins screws all solid smooth except a lanyard hole. Fit and finish is perfect
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sorry..meant to edit my post, not quote myself *d'oh*
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

No hourglass clip in the middle of the handle - that might be a mistake :D

I like the Hunter Pro in Alox and I like the opening hole :D

https://youtu.be/UD04hNBdDGc
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Sal and Kristi, can you guys comment on why the CC versions of this SS Kopa sprint haven’t been released please? This is a model I was very much looking forward to, and it would be sad if I couldn’t get one with my CC number on it. Thanks much, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King