More Urban Sprints Please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: More Urban Sprints Please

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:Hi Paracelsus, Lbblue,

Welcome to our forum.

I'll watch the thread. My preference would be to use European steels as shipping costs keep the price more reasonable.

sal
Please leave the blade at 2.6". This is one of the things that endears us to this knife. It has all the right dimensions and ergos.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

The original design called for 2.5". 2.6 was an error. If we leave the Urban at 2.6", then there will be no Metropolitan at 2.75".

sal
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

A 52100 UKPK would be pretty sweet too if we are dreaming. :)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

sal wrote:Hi Doc,

The original design called for 2.5". 2.6 was an error. If we leave the Urban at 2.6", then there will be no Metropolitan at 2.75".

sal
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:Hi Doc,

sal
How far is the Metropolitan, Sal ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

It's on hold until we exhaust the 2.6" Urbans and replace them with 2.5". If we decide not to change the Urban, then we'd probably not go forward with the Metro.

sal
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I like the lw Urban the way it is, just would be great to see different steel varieties. M390 would be absolutely awesome and I'd like to see more European steels, maybe some Sandvik varieties.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I agree with Jon, leave the Urban as it is - it’s nearly perfect in its category. Bring on more Urban variants - M390, Elmax, Vanax, it’s all good! Dump the Metro, it’s not like you don’t provide us enough options Sal as it is!! :)

(A Ti Urban wouldn’t hurt either! Please no crazy scale logos this time :D)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
elena86

Post by elena86 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I agree with Jon, leave the Urban as it is - it’s nearly perfect in its category. Bring on more Urban variants - M390, Elmax, Vanax, it’s all good! Dump the Metro, it’s not like you don’t provide us enough options Sal as it is!! :)

(A Ti Urban wouldn’t hurt either! Please no crazy scale logos this time :D)
A Ti Urban in Elmax would be superb :cool:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

I am glad to see this thread generating some interest, thank you all for your replies.

Welcome to our forum.

I'll watch the thread. My preference would be to use European steels as shipping costs keep the price more reasonable.

sal
Thanks Sal. That sounds reasonable and still leaves us with a wide selection of quality steels.
timlara wrote: I think I slightly favor the UKPK over the Urban as I just kind of like the shape and size of it a little more, but they are very close for me and I could be perfectly happy with either one.
I love the UKPK form factor, especially the drop point; maybe even better in hand than the Urban. The grind on my Urban, however, is much thinner than my UKPK, making it a better slicer. What is your experience comparing the two?
sal wrote:The original design called for 2.5". 2.6 was an error. If we leave the Urban at 2.6", then there will be no Metropolitan at 2.75".
The Urban is perfect as is, but I wouldn't miss .1" of blade length if it meant we get a "Goldilocks" slipit. Where would it be made?
Any chance of a drop point? CTS-BD1N for base model steel, or something else?
elena86 wrote:From time to time I grab my N690Co Urban which has a stronger split spring.Way stronger and that amount of Cobalt ads something magic to that steel. It’s a dream to sharpen and to maintain. LOVE it !
No kidding, stronger spring even than the K390? OK fine I'll get one. Glad to hear the N690Co works well for you.
TriggerThumb wrote:idk WHAT the **** Pilot-Iroshizuku Yama Budo is
Haha, no worries! It's a Japanese fountain pen ink, a deep, vivid magenta.
yama budo.jpg
Not my image.

It's difficult to describe colors sometimes, I find it easiest just to refer to specific inks.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think I'd like a 2.5 urban, just because it would let me carry it more places.

I think Spyderco should use the Urban and UKPK to do "folding mules" using whichever design is cheaper--which I'm guessing will depend on the steel and the cost to ship (so european steels would be Urbans, American steels would be UKPK). A light, discreet, and jurisdiction friendly "mule" platform would be awesome for getting new steels out in the wild to be test driven for real world feedback. I love the Mule Team project, but I live in rural Idaho, where carrying a 4" fixed blade doesn't raise any eyebrows. Spydiefans in big cities and less knife friendly countries should get to play with cool new steels, too. :)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Paracelsus wrote: The Urban is perfect as is, but I wouldn't miss .1" of blade length if it meant we get a "Goldilocks" slipit. Where would it be made?
Any chance of a drop point? CTS-BD1N for base model steel, or something else?
At last check, the Metro was to use the Spy-DK handles and a 2.75" Urban/UKPK style blade. Afaik, production would stay in Italy.

I'm with you on the thin edges on the Urban btw. Both of mine are beautifully thin at the edge, reminiscent of the edge on my old school gray Calypso Jr.
:spyder:
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Paracelsus wrote:
TriggerThumb wrote:idk WHAT the **** Pilot-Iroshizuku Yama Budo is
Haha, no worries! It's a Japanese fountain pen ink, a deep, vivid magenta.

yama budo.jpg

Not my image.

It's difficult to describe colors sometimes, I find it easiest just to refer to specific inks.
Haha I Google'd it after I commented :cool:

Sounds like it would be a good choice with the aogami super blue then! But sal wants euro steels, we have to find a model for pushing this combo :D

Calypso jr?
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
timlara

Post by timlara »

Paracelsus wrote:
timlara wrote: I think I slightly favor the UKPK over the Urban as I just kind of like the shape and size of it a little more, but they are very close for me and I could be perfectly happy with either one.
I love the UKPK form factor, especially the drop point; maybe even better in hand than the Urban. The grind on my Urban, however, is much thinner than my UKPK, making it a better slicer. What is your experience comparing the two?
I don't have the K390 version of the Urban -- and I thought I heard there may have been some slight "CQI" tweaks to that sprint -- but if I compare my 110V UKPK (leaf) to my N690Co Urban, the blade stock actually appears to be visibly thinner on the UKPK, and the specs in the Spyderco store do say that the UKPK is 2.5mm vs 3mm for the Urban, though I don't have calipers to measure behind the edge and see what the difference is there.

That said, for me it mainly comes down to ergos in hand because performance-wise, both models slice extremely well and I can't tell much difference, other than of course the 110V holds up a lot longer than the N690Co head to head. (I'd expect K390 to be as good or better than 110V in that department.)

I think I prefer the balance and cutting angle of the UKPK slightly, and on my examples, the spring tension on the UKPK is perfect, whereas the tension on my Urban is a teeny bit heavier than I'd like, but that could of course vary somewhat from knife to knife I'm sure.

Would really love to see either model in LC200N if possible. Perhaps more likely in the UKPK since Sal said he'd prefer to stick with European steels for the Urban.
Tim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I absolutely agree (obviously) that I would not want the Urban blade length changed. I would not mind a Metro, but I think the Urban blade length was a happy accident. This knife hits the sweet spot for a slipit pocket knife for me. Obviously this is true for some others, as well.

Elmax would be an amazing next steel for us to try. I am all for it. I wonder, though, if there are some other high end European steels that we have never tried that would be great in this little knife?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Does anyone have a list of European steels that would be available?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

timlara wrote:
Paracelsus wrote:
I don't have the K390 version of the Urban -- and I thought I heard there may have been some slight "CQI" tweaks to that sprint -- but if I compare my 110V UKPK (leaf) to my N690Co Urban, the blade stock actually appears to be visibly thinner on the UKPK, and the specs in the Spyderco store do say that the UKPK is 2.5mm vs 3mm for the Urban, though I don't have calipers to measure behind the edge and see what the difference is there.

That said, for me it mainly comes down to ergos in hand because performance-wise, both models slice extremely well and I can't tell much difference, other than of course the 110V holds up a lot longer than the N690Co head to head. (I'd expect K390 to be as good or better than 110V in that department.)

I think I prefer the balance and cutting angle of the UKPK slightly, and on my examples, the spring tension on the UKPK is perfect, whereas the tension on my Urban is a teeny bit heavier than I'd like, but that could of course vary somewhat from knife to knife I'm sure.

Would really love to see either model in LC200N if possible. Perhaps more likely in the UKPK since Sal said he'd prefer to stick with European steels for the Urban.
I have both. Urban is thinner behind the edge and I sharpened mine(both the K390 and the N690Co) at 15dps. Urban is a better performer in my book when it comes to slicing stuff. I wish they grind the UKPK thinner than it is behind the edge.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Northglenn500 wrote:
Does anyone have a list of European steels that would be available?
Wondering about that as well.. I mean if all of boehler Programm is available there is basically no real limit as the big manufacturers have a variant of each other's steels most of the time.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Northglenn500 wrote: Does anyone have a list of European steels that would be available?
Found this handy chart on the BU site:

They also make AEB-L, but I guess it's not listed here since its primary application is for razor blades rather than "knives." Another is 15N20, which is non-stainless and used in knives, similar to L6.

Sanvik lists these grades as their stainless knife steels:

6C27
7C27Mo2
12C27
12C27M
13C26
14C28N
19C27

They may have other grades that are suitable but not listed, I'm not sure.
:spyder:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Yeah, they say that 13C26 is the Sandvik version of AEB-L. I can only dream of a Pattada in K390 and/or Urban in 13C26. I have a Kershaw Leek in 13C26 and I love the steel.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )